• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
Hey guys, may I please get some help on this? Whenever editing my bitmap image, my MSPaint always switches the color palette out with something odd, and I don't know why. I'm using the basic paint program that comes with Windows 10. Goes from the normal version to this whenever I save my edit(although it isn't finished yet):
imgur.com/13q4EwN
Would've posted it in picture form, but for some reason it glitched...
MSPaint has a tendency to reassign colors to its own palette. I'd recommend using GraphicsGale, or any similar program with a palette editor, should fix the recoloring issue.

Last edited:

Drake Baku

Draconian Dragon Prince
Years
Reading up a bit at my work
But i think i am missing something
How in the type effevtive chart can you put up an type immunity?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2024
Is there a way to edit A-tack so you can use custom types? Or some attack editor that works with custom types?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 15, 2020
if u do change the palette is there any way to make it have more colours like the 256 colour palettes or is it set in stone that its gotta be 16? (obviously i wouldnt use 256 colours thatd be too much but itd be nice to make it look nicer with more variety of colours)

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
if u do change the palette is there any way to make it have more colours like the 256 colour palettes or is it set in stone that its gotta be 16? (obviously i wouldnt use 256 colours thatd be too much but itd be nice to make it look nicer with more variety of colours)

As far as I know, you're stuck with a 16 colour palette. Any more would require ASM to allow the game to read past the 16th colour.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 15, 2020
As far as I know, you're stuck with a 16 colour palette. Any more would require ASM to allow the game to read past the 16th colour.
ok thanks im tottaly crap at asm seeing as i just started it like 2 days ago so i wouldnt have any idea about that lmfao :p

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2020
I've been trying to get this adding new types to work, and I've currently gotten to the point where I need to search for and change 942C4508 in Hex, but whenever I search for it, Hex says it can't be found.
Anybody know what might be wrong or have any potential solutions?

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 29, 2017
The attacks do super effective damage but it doesn't say "its super effective".

when i use an attack it does super effective damage but doesn't say "its super effective".

Last edited by a moderator:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Spoiler:

I think there's a mistake in this tutorial, why did u set the width of your 3rd new type to 0x28?
All type icons have width 0x20...
Maybe u need to edit it...

Yep, you're right. I'll mention it in the tutorial.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 5, 2018
Howdy! I've followed this tutorial to a T and it works really well! My only issue is that I'm adding two types, I've gotten them to function perfectly, resistances and whatnot, however my 2nd type I added refuses to appear in text form next to a move in battle. I don't know what exactly I'm typing in between my first type ("Fairy") and my second type ("Shadow") to make that text appear. The Fairy type text appears when Tackle is made a fairy type move but the shadow version is simply blank. Thanks for any help. :)

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Howdy! I've followed this tutorial to a T and it works really well! My only issue is that I'm adding two types, I've gotten them to function perfectly, resistances and whatnot, however my 2nd type I added refuses to appear in text form next to a move in battle. I don't know what exactly I'm typing in between my first type ("Fairy") and my second type ("Shadow") to make that text appear. The Fairy type text appears when Tackle is made a fairy type move but the shadow version is simply blank. Thanks for any help. :)

I'm assuming the names are right after one another. When you write the names, the length of the string has to be 7, so you have to add filler bytes after the name.
In your case, Fairy has 5 charactrers so add 2 filler bytes such as FF and 00. Then for Shadow, just 1 filler byte after it should work, like FF.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
What do you mean? What is a pointer and what is my pointer? How do I replace it?

I feel like you missed out a step.

Sorry, by pointer i mean the offset you inserted your new image at. In the image before, I have an offset of 800000. This is also my pointer. They're kind of interchangable in this context. I'll update the tutorial to reflect this.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 5, 2017
Sorry, by pointer i mean the offset you inserted your new image at. In the image before, I have an offset of 800000. This is also my pointer. They're kind of interchangable in this context. I'll update the tutorial to reflect this.

Thank you, it makes sense now.

I've ran into another problem though.

With the way you get your type coordinates, you list 20, 40, 60, 80, A0, C0, E0, 100.

What is the next one below 100 if I were to say, add in 2 extra lines of types rather than one.

edit: also, C column is confusing as to how to get the coordinates.
With fajiro, you added 20+4 because it was 4 across and 20 down. How would you add something which is C across and 100 down?

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Thank you, it makes sense now.

I've ran into another problem though.

With the way you get your type coordinates, you list 20, 40, 60, 80, A0, C0, E0, 100.

What is the next one below 100 if I were to say, add in 2 extra lines of types rather than one.

edit: also, C column is confusing as to how to get the coordinates.
With fajiro, you added 20+4 because it was 4 across and 20 down. How would you add something which is C across and 100 down?

After 100, you continue on: 120, 140, 160... just like in decimal.
So when adding something in column C, you add C to 100 to get 10C.

Years
So, I was trying to insert just a single type into a rom but upon completion of step 1 I went to test the game and after the initial cutscreen at the beginning the game cuts to black.
{The screen at which this happens is where the charizard should pop up}
I was wondering what I might be doing wrong and/or if there is any way to fix this?
I have a backup copy if I can't fix it - but I have tried doing this method in two Hex editors and it has failed both times.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
So, I was trying to insert just a single type into a rom but upon completion of step 1 I went to test the game and after the initial cutscreen at the beginning the game cuts to black.
{The screen at which this happens is where the charizard should pop up}
I was wondering what I might be doing wrong and/or if there is any way to fix this?
I have a backup copy if I can't fix it - but I have tried doing this method in two Hex editors and it has failed both times.

Whats the size of your rom? Look in a hex editor and go to the bottom. If it is not FFFFFF, then you accidently expanded your rom. When you paste the new data, you need to paste over the FF bytes, but what you're doing is inserting it in, changing the structure of the rom.

If that's not the case, I'm not sure without more information.

Back