The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Previous Generations
5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

Old February 27th, 2011 (9:17 AM).
Knowledge isn't everything.

Nature: Modest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratty524 View Post
    It basically stole the trend of Diglett and Magnemite.
    I actually think this was the intention; having Pokemon that have some similarity between past ones would happen in this reigon.
    But, I was also apprehensive over the Klink-line at first but, I'm come to grow to it as it just seems like a good set of Pokemon, the same with the Vanilite-line.

(Oh and both first-evolutions in these lines are adorable!)

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 27th, 2011 (9:27 AM).
    핖보다,화이팅!

I personally don't like kyurem's design. It looks so small and weak compared to Reshiram and Zekrom. I personally think they shouldn't have put Kyurem into the energy trio. In fact, the other two trios should have been discarded and a trio of pokemon similar to kyurem should have been made instead in place of them..
      Old February 27th, 2011 (12:48 PM).
      Haven't been here for ages...

Quote:
      Originally Posted by PiPVoda View Post
      I personally don't like kyurem's design. It looks so small and weak compared to Reshiram and Zekrom. I personally think they shouldn't have put Kyurem into the energy trio. In fact, the other two trios should have been discarded and a trio of pokemon similar to kyurem should have been made instead in place of them..
      Yeah but apparently Kyuremu is all damaged and beaten up, with broken wings. That is why it is predicted it will have a bigger and better form in the Third Game. So maybe it was made a little smaller for that reason? I personally don't mind the size of him.

Old February 27th, 2011 (4:42 PM). Edited February 27th, 2011 by Gars129.
      Is now focused on other things

Among my favortes are Serperior, Oshawott (and evos), Roggenrolla, Scolipede, Sandile (and evos), Darmanitan, Scraggy, Zorua, Zoroark, Reuniclus, Joltik (so cute), Eeelektross, the Musketeer Trio, Litwick, Accelcord, Fraxure, Pawniard, Rufflet, Braviary , Sazandora, Volcarona, and the mascots (much better than Dialga and Palkia's designs , in my opinion).

Im not really a huge fan of the genie trio, and there are quite a few designs that are just plain unoriginal, such as Emboar (looks like Magmortar a bit) Pidove, Carragosta, Vanilluxe, Sawsbuck, Buffalon, Kling and evos.

[IMG]http://www.mubos-md.com/brawlcards/cards/wqz8wnx8.png[/IMG]
        Click here to level up my card![/url]

Diamond FC 3522 8541 4119
        Old March 1st, 2011 (12:42 AM).
        Madara

Im really impressed i pretty much liked all of them once i saw the artwork for them
          Old March 1st, 2011 (3:03 PM).
          Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed

Nature: Hasty
            Quote:
            The ice cream pokemon still gets me, and so does Klink. It kind of proves that Game Freak was really searching the bottom of the barrel for ideas on new pokemon, even their evolution patterns stink. It basically stole the trend of Diglett and Magnemite:

Gears > More Gears > Gears with Spikes

Ice Cream > Bigger Ice Cream > Two Ice Creams

It kind of makes me wonder whether their sole existence is to be a joke or not.
            ya, it's like, with ice cream Pokemon, what can't be turned into a Pokemon now?
            I hope they aren't adding 2 eyes to a house and call that a Pokemon in Gen 6.

Those elemental monkeys drive me mad too, basically those 6 Pokemon are more or less the same thing, and they call it 6 pokemon
            They should be FORMES instead of SPEICES.

Oh, also Nageki and Dageki, aren't they more or less the same too?
            Old March 1st, 2011 (5:49 PM).
            Trainer/Breeder

Nature: Lax
            the pokemon seemed way to forced, i just played through leafgreen again looking back at the original 151 they were mostly natural. almost all of them were designed on animals with slight variations. Now we are at the point of pokemon that look like trash bags and ice cream? ok then
            ;)Pearlfc:4855 2141 3582:paranoid:
            ;)HeartGoldfc:1076 5706 7636:paranoid:
            Old March 1st, 2011 (6:06 PM).

I like SWOOBAT!!!!!!!!! :D and galvuntula, LIEPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(suprised not very many people like it), LEAVANYY!!!!!!!!, Emolga, and ZORUA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Old March 1st, 2011 (7:11 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by j2y8n2x View Post
                We've had a ball with eyes before, I wouldn't expect them not to...
                Old March 1st, 2011 (8:41 PM).
                Quarter Life Crisis! @[email protected]

Nature: Quiet
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by gregory_turner420 View Post
                  the pokemon seemed way to forced, i just played through leafgreen again looking back at the original 151 they were mostly natural. almost all of them were designed on animals with slight variations. Now we are at the point of pokemon that look like trash bags and ice cream? ok then
                  I agree with you completely on this. Even compared to Sinnoh the pokemon seem forced to me.

Quote:

LOL. This made my laugh. Which reminds me, I absolutely hate Amoonguss. It's an ugly ripoff of Voltorb/Electorde :x Combining a pokeball and mushroom? Wtf?

Pokemon Go Dex: 84
                  ORAS National Dex: 552

Blog || Fanfiction || Twitter || Tumblr || Instagram
                  Old March 1st, 2011 (8:56 PM).
                  Haven't been here for ages...

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Rai View Post

LOL. This made my laugh. Which reminds me, I absolutely hate Amoonguss. It's an ugly ripoff of Voltorb/Electorde :x Combining a pokeball and mushroom? Wtf?
                  I originally hated Foongus and Amoonguss too when I first saw them for ripping off Voltorb and electrode too. But now I grew on them and I like them both :) idk I guess I was in denial or something when they were first revealed.

Old March 1st, 2011 (11:18 PM). Edited March 2nd, 2011 by fenyx4.
                  HOENN CONFIRMED!

Nature: Timid
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
                    Well we have a fire ant eater so it would make sense for the Ant to have been something weak to fire like Steel/Bug...though they could have made the Ant eater (forget it's name) Water and the ant Fire...
                    That would've been cool... I wish Durant could at least learn some fire moves...

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by インフェルノの津波 View Post

Y'know something like this comes up every time a new Gen is introduced. Not saying you're wrong, mind you, I respect your opinion but some Pokemon are made just to be there, you know? Imagine being the designer, or even worse the person who has to decide the stats and the location. Plus, they don't have a lot of time, believe me I think they wish they could improve some designs or movesets but what's done is done.

To be honest, if I was a Gamefreak employee I'd feel like there's always something missing to Pokemon, like every Gen starting from 1 was..rushed.
                    Personally, I feel that Generation V's introduction was rushed, and Generation IV's conclusion was rushed. There would've been no problem in delaying BW for a year. The anime could have had one more season involving the other Sinnoh Frontier Brains and more aimless adventures with Characters of the Day. Nintendo could have released that darn Azure Flute that apparently no one got. The anime could have also eased in a few Unova Pokemon. Yeah, Unova Pokemon are rare in other regions, but you'd expect a few Trainers to have visited there, toured, and returned home before Ash's journey there. Zoroark and Zorua weren't really showcased properly because it's just about a month before the actual games are released. A whole year before Generation V's introduction would have been decent, with maybe one to three Unova Pokemon appeared in the Lily of the Valley tournament as opposed to Takuto spamming legendaries.

As for designs being rushed...can't do much about that now. However, the game developers don't really have an excuse for maintaining more movesets and locations, as those could easily be fixed for Pokemon Gray Version via relocation; level-up move adjustments, move tutors, egg moves, etc. Maybe if Nintendo catered to the patient fans who care about quality as opposed to the subset of fans who want everything yesterday, we wouldn't have had Generation 5 causing "RUINED FOREVER!!!" so much before the generation even begins...

Quote:
                    The ice cream pokemon still gets me, and so does Klink. It kind of proves that Game Freak was really searching the bottom of the barrel for ideas on new pokemon, even their evolution patterns stink. It basically stole the trend of Diglett and Magnemite:

Gears > More Gears > Gears with Spikes

Ice Cream > Bigger Ice Cream > Two Ice Creams

It kind of makes me wonder whether their sole existence is to be a joke or not.
                    Well, a lot of Pokemon have exhibit that feature...

Two-headed Bird > Three-headed Bird (Dodrio line)
                    Rock Nose > Bigger Rock Nose With Mini-Noses (Probopass line)
                    Eggs/Seeds > Eggs/Seeds on a Tree (Exeggcutor line)
                    One Poison Mine > Two Poison Mines (Weezing line)
                    One Iron Ball > Two "Iron Balls" > Four "Iron Balls" (Metagross line)

It's been done for quite a while, so the Ice Cream Pokemon only seem to be perpetuating it and emulating a part of Kanto's Pokemon evolutionary families...

Quote:
                    ya, it's like, with ice cream Pokemon, what can't be turned into a Pokemon now?

Those elemental monkeys drive me mad too, basically those 6 Pokemon are more or less the same thing, and they call it 6 pokemon
                    They should be FORMES instead of SPEICES.

Oh, also Nageki and Dageki, aren't they more or less the same too?
                    Uh...Spices? I thought they were Species... :cer_confused:

As for the elemental wise monkey Pokemon, I think the pre-evos were fine as standalone. The evos detract from them quite a bit.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Haowakeorden View Post
                    :cer_laugh: We've had sludge with eyes and a blob with eyes/smiley face; anything's possible for Pokemon at this rate.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by King Gumball View Post

I originally hated Foongus and Amoonguss too when I first saw them for ripping off Voltorb and electrode too. But now I grew on them and I like them both :) idk I guess I was in denial or something when they were first revealed.
                    I like Tamagetake's Unova take on being a Poke Ball dupe. In past games, Trainers and Voltorb/Electrode would probably get pissed off at each other during such an incident (fake Poke Ball encounter), while with Tamagetake, you just can't help but go D'AAAAAAAAWWWWW, pet it, and go on your merry way, feeling happy that you had the luck to encounter such a cute Pokemon! ^^

With Morobareru...you'd either just walk away without taking action, or burst out laughing at the amusing design and then walk away.

OMG 888th counted post! That means loads of good luck or something, right?! 8D

Currently in intermittent forum activity for 2017. ;_; Credit to Game Freak for avatar and signature. @Fenyx4 on Bulbapedia for more about me. Tune into TOONAMI!
                    Old March 1st, 2011 (11:42 PM).

Well, to start off, i LOVE zekrom, he's so cool, and so powerful! i love his designs!

I ALSO love zoroark, LONG before he was revealed i have always loved black and red together, and look what colours zoroark are! i love his design, and his ability, however he doesnt have the best movepool IN THE GAMES.

I also love Hazorus (ononokusu in japan) is BEAST, i love the blades on the sides of his mouth, he literally is one of the best looking, and MOST ORIGINAL pokemon designs from the fifth generation, i have been waiting for someone looking like him to come around into pokemon, by the way, His shiny form is WAY better for the same colour reasons as zoroark.

Braviary (wargle in japan) is ok, i didnt like how they modeled him after the american flag, when there are tons more people out there playing their games, BRING IN A CANADIAN POKEMON!!!! AND NOT A BEAVER! OR A HOCKEY STICK, OR A JAR OF MAPLE SYRUP! But still braviary is the BEST looking BIRD pokemon of the 5th gen.

Serperior (Jalorda in japan), out of the starters FINAL evolutions, i'd say he looks the best, then oshawott's (mijimaru in japan) third evo looks the next best, and i HATE Tepig's (pokabu in japan) 2nd AND 3rd Evolution, ITS SO FAT, AND WE DONT NEEC ANOTHER FIRE FIGHTING 3RD EVOLUTION, WEVE HAD THAT SINCE GEN. 3!!!!!!!

Victini is an ok pokemon, not nearly my favourite, but i love the originality of it, IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A POKEMON!!

And since i said zekrom, i have to give my HONEST opinion about reshiram, i dont like him as much as zekrom, its not him really, i just dont like the way he looks, other people can, but im sticking with zekrom - the MASTER of the rascist!

Carracosta (Abagoura in japan) i got used to carracosta's japanese name, so ill call him that from now on, i love his design even if he does look a little too much like a turtle... good movepool

Now for pokemon i cant stand:

Patrat - Its simple why i hate him, I GOT SO ANNOYED OF FINDING BIDOOFS IN DIAMOND AND PLATINUM, THAT I STARTED HATING BIDOOF, AND NOW THEY INTRODUCE ANOTHER BEAVER!!!! COME ON!!!!!

Pansear, Pansage, Panpour - the one thing i hate more than beaver pokemon, is F-ING MONKEY POKEMON!!!! MONKEIES SUCK, AND U THINK THAT THROUGH OVER 10 YEARS OF POKEMON, THEY WOULD STOP MAKING MORE MONKIES!!!! WE NOW HAVE: mankey, primeape, aipom, ambipom, chimchar, monferno, infernape, Pansage, pansear, panpour, Simisear, simisage, simipour!!!! THATS 13 MONKEY POKEMON!!!!

Meloetta, just a stupid pokemon, and we dont need another jigglypuff who can put people to sleep and draw on their faces..

HOLY THIS IS A LONG RESPONSE, WELL, IF U READ TILL HERE, CONGRATS, I COULD GO ALL DAY ON LIKES AND DISLIKES, BUT ITS TIME TO GO, LET ME KNOW WHAT PARTS OF THIS U AGREE WITH, AND WHAT U DONT, AND UR OWN THOUGHTS BYE READERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
                      Old March 1st, 2011 (11:55 PM).
                      too old for name changes

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by fenyx4 View Post
                        Defending Gen. V
                        Hey look, I'm helping!

No worries, I've moderated the pic in order to make it fit pc's standards etc
                        +Anti: his team looks like a salad
                        Old March 2nd, 2011 (12:25 AM).
                        HOENN CONFIRMED!

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Opposite Day View Post

Hey look, I'm helping!
                          http://i53.tinypic.com/2m6vjie.png
                          No worries, I've moderated the pic in order to make it fit pc's standards etc
                          You hiker chaps 'N yer funny drawings. :cer_laugh: I ROFL'd at the "clothing" section (they forgot Lucario and Hariyama, though!) and how many times the Simisear commenter missed the correct letters on the keyboard. I'm kind of glad now that certain Pokemon do have clothes... #_#

It provides a good defense for some of the Gen 5, Pokemon though.

That fire anteater's head looks a little bit too tapered...

Currently in intermittent forum activity for 2017. ;_; Credit to Game Freak for avatar and signature. @Fenyx4 on Bulbapedia for more about me. Tune into TOONAMI!
                          Old March 2nd, 2011 (12:28 AM).

Quote:

Uh...Spices? I thought they were Species... :cer_confused:

As for the elemental wise monkey Pokemon, I think the pre-evos were fine as standalone. The evos detract from them quite a bit.

Ah yes I mean species...stupid typo :p

They are giving us 6 bloody monkeys that look more or less the same but they aren't giving us dolphins :(

Quote:
                            I'm kind of glad now that certain Pokemon do have clothes... #_#
                            Ya...who wants to see what's inside...?
                            Old March 2nd, 2011 (12:31 AM).
                            HOENN CONFIRMED!

Quote:
                              Ah yes I mean species...stupid typo :p

They are giving us 6 bloody monkeys that look more or less the same but they aren't giving us dolphins :(
                              Not to mention three hideous kami Pokemon that look very similar that don't even change sprite poses. T_T Dolphin Pokemon would be cool...

Old March 2nd, 2011 (12:40 AM).

Quote:
                                Not to mention three hideous kami Pokemon that look very similar that don't even change sprite poses. T_T Dolphin Pokemon would be cool...
                                All they did was to change colour and hair style, and a bit of the decoration.
                                Why would people add Raijin into Pokemon now?
                                Never thought it was a good idea.

The Gigigiaru line also didn't change sprite poses...they only kept adding stuff on to the sprite.
                                Old March 2nd, 2011 (1:22 AM).
                                ←Lazy ADHD Trainer

Nature: Quirky
                                  I really like that there's more new pokemon, a good portion of which I like. I was particularly excited wheb I saw Chandelure since I thought a ghost/fire chandelier was an awesome idea and drew it up about a year ago, and when they actually made it I about peed my pants in excitement.

What I dislike is that I like alot of the prevo pokemon, but the evolutions suck juicy badonkadonk. The names also suck, and it's going to be the first pokemon game where I nickname. Not because I want to nickname because it's cool, but to hide the shame of such terrible monickers. And my biggest complaint is where 3rd and 4th gen took inspiration from 1st gen, 5th just copied it blatantly. Looking down the list I count 28 evo lines that rip 1st gen ones. That's 58 pokemon, not counting more in-depth comparisons. You have the new hitmontwins, and even a new machamp à la "I'm holding a branch-now I'm holding a much heavier steel gurder-now I'm holding twice as much with these 2 concrete pillars." Gamefreak is gettin' real fancy with the ideas, am I right?

White: 0433-0461-0045
                                  Soulsilver: 1334-9895-4497
                                  Old March 2nd, 2011 (1:40 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
                                    After seeing this thread I thought I'd have a proper look through the new pokemon and see if I could find a favourite.

Before I look I'm pretty sure I can say that I'll dislike anything that's too similar to any previous gen pokemon, but I guess I'll see from looking through them :)

First of all I'm not really too fond of the starters, but I started playing when pokemon first came out so nothing will ever beat Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur :)

Purrloin just looks like a Glameow rip off and is it just me or does Garvantula look exactly like Ariados? lol

That being said I do like the look of the dark dragon Hydreigen and Volcarana the Bug Fire type, I'm looking forward to using more bugs this time round as it seems there's a lot of choice when it comes to the bugs this time round.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this too but the legendary sprites don't seem as special anymore due to the amount of legendaries around these days. I do however quite like the look of Kyurem.

Friend Code: 0963-2370-9012
                                    Name: Lamby

Type: Fairy
                                    Pokemon: Floette, Kirlia, Mawile

Old March 2nd, 2011 (3:03 PM).
                                    Quarter Life Crisis! @[email protected]

Nature: Quiet
                                      Quote:
                                      I like Tamagetake's Unova take on being a Poke Ball dupe. In past games, Trainers and Voltorb/Electrode would probably get pissed off at each other during such an incident (fake Poke Ball encounter), while with Tamagetake, you just can't help but go D'AAAAAAAAWWWWW, pet it, and go on your merry way, feeling happy that you had the luck to encounter such a cute Pokemon! ^^

With Morobareru...you'd either just walk away without taking action, or burst out laughing at the amusing design and then walk away.
                                      I agree. It's very cute at first and then when it evolves... it is just... fail.

What I find odd is that it looks like an actual pokeball on its head. I find that unrealistic. Would that even be possible? O.o I mean for it to miraculously have a perfect drawing of a pokeball on it, unlike Voltorb who just resembles a pokeball.

Pokemon Go Dex: 84
                                      ORAS National Dex: 552

Blog || Fanfiction || Twitter || Tumblr || Instagram
                                      Old March 2nd, 2011 (4:10 PM).

Nature: Jolly
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Rai View Post
                                        I agree. It's very cute at first and then when it evolves... it is just... fail.

What I find odd is that it looks like an actual pokeball on its head. I find that unrealistic. Would that even be possible? O.o I mean for it to miraculously have a perfect drawing of a pokeball on it, unlike Voltorb who just resembles a pokeball.
                                        Maybe the pokeball design was originally based on Foongus? That's a sort of outside the box way of thinking about it.
                                        Old March 2nd, 2011 (8:12 PM).

OK, it's true a LOT of Gen 5 Pokemon look like Gen 1 rip-offs, but....maybe that's the point. For one thing this is supposed to be a whole new "fresh start" region, so they need annoying bat Pokemon like Zubat, cute little rodents like Pachirisu and Pikachu, etc. Also, even though this is comparing a game to real life, there are tons of species that look very similar, but they're different. If Pokemon are supposed to be the "animals" of the Poke-world, then shouldn't that rule apply, to some extent?

Despite all that, there's no excuse for the spriters to literally copy+paste different Pokemon or evolutions and add stuff and say it's a new Pokemon. (Gear and the Kamis)

ON HOLD
                                          Red: Completed
                                          Silver: 4 badges
                                          Team:

-Torch----Sol------Lava
                                          Old March 2nd, 2011 (8:17 PM).
                                          OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire is offline
                                          10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Careful
                                            They could have make Gear more unique like Magnemite and Bronzor's evolution(s)...but not hey just added parts to it...I liked the first evo of Gear but the second didn't changed that much from the first evolution...
                                            Old March 2nd, 2011 (8:35 PM).
                                            da grovyle

Nature: Sassy
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by musesum626 View Post
                                              OK, it's true a LOT of Gen 5 Pokemon look like Gen 1 rip-offs, but....maybe that's the point. For one thing this is supposed to be a whole new "fresh start" region, so they need annoying bat Pokemon like Zubat, cute little rodents like Pachirisu and Pikachu, etc. Also, even though this is comparing a game to real life, there are tons of species that look very similar, but they're different. If Pokemon are supposed to be the "animals" of the Poke-world, then shouldn't that rule apply, to some extent?
                                              I remember reading somewhere that the thing that Game Freak or whatever tried to apply to this generation was simply a "fresh start", like you said. They could take old ideas for Pokemon or perhaps things that have been done before (aka bat pokemon, "useless" generic fish pokemon, pokemon-based-off-of-a-rock, fighting-duo pokemon, etc etc etc) and design them differently this time around. They still have to meet specifics and stuff like this many Flying-types and this many Water-types, but aside from that, they ditched everything they had before and basically tried to give new life to old ideas. I think that's one of my favorite parts of B/W - they're revitalizing the series by giving everyone and every aspect of the game a "fresh start".
                                              we must bring no more than we need of self-confidence or pride.
                                              there is not enough space for hurts, grudges, greed, or worries
                                              for they will give us a heavy load.
                                              we must plan where we want to go and how we'll get there
                                              lest we lose our way.
                                              we can walk slowly and carefully. sail through rough and smooth seas.
                                              coast along the different highways or soar as far as our eyes can see.
                                              for every journey, though, remember to bring enough soϲks
                                              to keep your feet clean, while keeping them firmly on the ground.

Quick Reply