• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Tri-Color Nostalgia Series

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I really haven't messed around with movement scripts at all yet, but perhaps you could just have them say bye, fade to black, vanish them, look at the script for Giovanni vanishing and do that, if it would be easier for you.

Also, if you're going for new pokemon that appeal most to gen 1 nostalgia, you need to add Snubbull because it and Marill were in the first movie short together. :3

On that first bit, I was thinking more along the lines of them leaving to the left, kinda like how the Pewter City NPCs who take you somewhere under certain conditions leave after doing so.

As for that... yeah, I was thinking of putting the Snubbull family into the refined Kanto Dex, too. I'm not sure where to place it and Marill relative to other families in the Kanto Dex, though.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I knew I was missing something in bank 0...

Well, anyway, I've just corrected the link in the post announcing Alpha 3.0, which technically is now Alpha 3.0.1, but that is merely a bug fix release. I will only issue a new release outside of the usual date (which, as you may have figured out by now, is Sunday) if a bug as serious as the one SilverAndBlaze reported gets discovered that I had next to no time to look for.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Alpha 3.0.1a is now up.

Regarding trapping moves such as Wrap and Bind, I'm halfway there. Thanks to the creator of Evo Yellow, you can now select a move while trapped. Now I just gotta figure out how to make it so you can actually execute that move. Perhaps I missed something in "engine/battle/core.asm"? For now, of course, do stock up on Potions before battling Brock, in case his Onix breaks out the Bind.

In the meantime, feel free to tell me what you think of the hack now that the item bug's been fixed.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Alpha 3.0.1a is now up.

Regarding trapping moves such as Wrap and Bind, I'm halfway there. Thanks to the creator of Evo Yellow, you can now select a move while trapped. Now I just gotta figure out how to make it so you can actually execute that move. Perhaps I missed something in "engine/battle/core.asm"? For now, of course, do stock up on Potions before battling Brock, in case his Onix breaks out the Bind.

In the meantime, feel free to tell me what you think of the hack now that the item bug's been fixed.

Sorry about that! I forgot two sections. Crystal here beat me to it tho'. I've been distracted by kittens.

Do you have a patch or just the source code? /I plead distracted by kittens again.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Alpha 3.1 is now available for download, along with an editable copy of the source code.

Among the biggest changes I included were natural defrost, a working Super Game Boy border for the Green Version, and you can now execute a move while a partial trapping move is in effect. I intend to make it so you can't escape while trapped in a later release. I also noticed a rather odd and perilous quirk: if you inflict a damaging move on your opponent while trapped, the amount of damage from the enemy's next turn, while the trap is still in effect, will be more or less the same amount you inflict on the enemy. So, until I come up with a fix, you'd better hope your remaining HP is greater than your opponent's, or else you knock out your opponent while you're trapped; otherwise, defeat becomes more likely.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Alpha 3.1.1 is now up.

Changes made include the addition of a new move, Extrasensory, the updating of Exeggcute's moveset to include that and Bullet Seed, and the update of the Green Version's slot machine tiles to how they originally looked, among other edits.

Another thing I want to get off my chest: I'm taking a month-long break for the holidays. Expect the next nightly build on New Year's Day. In the meantime, please let me know what you think of the game thus far.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Due to circumstances, Alpha 4 has been delayed indefinitely. However, the project is NOT dead. I intend to continue work on polishing it up and making the next release bilingual, in English and French. Releases will resume once I finish work on the French translation; however, for some lines, I shall require the assistance of some French players of B2W2 and Stadium 2, where I borrowed those lines from, as I can't seem to find French counterparts anywhere. Any help on that front would be greatly appreciated.

Meantime, I encourage you to leave your thoughts on the current version in this thread. Once I finish Alpha 4, an update will be posted in either this or a follow-up post.

Thanks!

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Are the palettes that... neon in the actual version? They are insanely painful to look at. I would really consider changing them to something less... aggressive.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
If you're talking about what's seen in the screenshots, those are supposed to resemble what they look like using the normal Game Boy Color palettes for each respective game, which I generally use courtesy of VBA for testing purposes. If you're talking about what you see with SGB colors, last I checked they're as the SGB versions of the originals looked colorwise.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
It's been a long time coming, but Alpha 4 is finally up, and for the first time ever bilingual--in English and in French. Check it and its source code out here.

As always, feel free to leave comments regarding the current version of the hack in this thread.

UPDATE: I just uploaded a small bugfix for the French version, involving a minor option text overflow at the start. The current download link is still valid.

UPDATE 2: Due to a serious bug at the start that causes the French version of the game to crash when your rival challenges you in Professor Oak's laboratory, download of both versions has been disabled until further notice, while I try to figure out why instead of the text reading "Le BLUE veut se battre!" appearing, the game crashes at that exact moment.

UPDATE 3: Link's back quicker than I thought. In addition to the bugfix, a minor bug and a typo were also fixed.

UPDATE 4: Hopefully the final revision until the next release, I fixed a visual glitch in the save screen and, presumably, the diploma for receiving 150 Pokémon for the French version.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
In honor of Pokémon's 21st birthday, I present to you Alpha 5 of this hack, downloadable here in English and in French along with its original source code.

As always, feel free to leave comments regarding the current version of the hack in this thread.

In a future version of this hack, I plan to finally expand the item pack with Mateo's help and maybe add some new Pokémon to the Kanto Dex. Maybe I might even add a full-color version or a different language option as well.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 17, 2023
Just a question when you defeat swimmer in cerulean gym mew shows up but when i caught it it still appears every step i take did i do something wrong?

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
That is supposed to be a shout-out to the Mew glitch. I could've sworn I'd written the first line of the CeruleanCityMons function as "db $01", which I was told was the lowest probability of wild Pokémon appearing in any given area, period. If you get a wild Mew appearance every step you take, then I might have done something wrong. Only trouble is, I'm not quite sure what.

ETA: For those concerned about oscariothetrainer's bug report, stay calm. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with the coding process for the Mew glitch shout-out, which at least I know works. Now I just gotta work on making the Mew appear less frequently.

UPDATE: The bug fix, Alpha 5.0.1, is now ready. Download here, in both English and French. BTW if you're reading this, oscariothetrainer, I suggest going to a different map and saving before downloading this bugfix.

UPDATE 2: Quick announcement, German and Japanese translations are coming soon, on dates TBD.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Because I don't believe people should have to jump through hoops to get as many Pokémon as possible in a single game. And I plan on phasing out the original Mew glitch later on, after I learn how to do it in a way that doesn't involve changing the Pokédex order from original programming to Kanto Dex numbers.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Sorry I haven't been updating much, real life's been getting in the way (e.g. extensive pre-production work on a Super Mario 64 LP that's been in the works for months now). But I'm going to release a minor update, either Alpha 5.0.2 or Alpha 5.1, sometime this month.

UPDATE: I just discovered a soft freeze bug involving the Burn status effect. I must find some way to fix it before any further releases can be issued. Weirdly, this only affects the French version.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
After plenty of frustration, I decided the best course of action would be to reboot. This is the second time I've done it; hopefully, this third incarnation will work better than the previous two did.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
If you're restarting anyway, how about working with pokecrystal? I think you'd run into fewer problems with its event scripting system than with pokered's assembly events. Plus it already has Gen 2 mechanics, so you don't have to fix the Gen 1 problems or add your own gender selection, Bag pockets, etc. If you want a more old-school look, you could always edit the palettes to be SGB-style monochrome.

By the way, translated versions would be neat, but I'd suggest getting a good portion of the game done first and then translating it. If you're translating as you go, it ends up being much more work and time for each new part, and I find that it's encouraging to get small features done quickly.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
The last time I tried porting foreign-language code directly into my English hack, the Burn status got screwed up. Therefore I have decided it would be in my best interests to work on all translations simultaneously, coding in one version for any specific part(s) and porting the code between versions as I go along. As for pokecrystal, it'd be difficult, as the creator of Red/Blue Remastered can testify. He was able to move the starting location to Pallet Town easily, but there are other elements that have proven a veritable challenge. I should know, I've been trying to help him since I found out about it, even sending him a custom battle sprite I made of Misty for my own hack so as to make her general look more accurate to the setting (i.e. with that ponytail).

Back