• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
I'm really digging it so far, very promising project. Currently on Cianwood, i'm giving my thoughts early to report a bug I found (nothing special): After the battle with the Beauty on the pokécenter, the music stops (restarts when you leave). No big deal.

Are you accepting suggestions? If so, I think it would be nice if naming the trainer could take 12 characters like when you name your pokémon, some names like mine doesn't fit in the default lenght.

If you want help with sprites I'm at your disposition, I made some sprites and devamps for Red++ too. Thanks for the great job!

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
After the battle with the Beauty on the pokécenter, the music stops (restarts when you leave). No big deal.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of detail I want to get right. It was happening with some other battles too.

Longer player names are a good idea. I'd have to make sure all the places it gets printed out have enough room.

Thank you very much for your offer. Do you want to draw animation frames for the new Pokémon sprites? They're a bit out of place right now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Thank you all for giving me feedback about version 1.0.0! I've fixed most of the bugs that were found, and added enough features for a new release.

You'll have to apply the patches to a plain Crystal ROM, not an already-patched one. Also, your old save files will not work correctly. (Which is kind of a good thing—if you restart now, all the TMs you get will be reusable. :))

Changelog:

• Add: Title screen version number ends in "F" for the faithful version
• Add: Unlimited-use TMs from Gen V (also more expensive)
• Add: Continuous Repel system from Gen V
• Add: Money loss formula from Gen V
• Add: Pokédex area display uses whiever region you're in
• Add: New sprites for Twins and another trainer
• Add: Guitarist♀ trainer class
• Add: Wild Gengar in Cerulean Cave at night
• Add: Mineral Badge, not Storm Badge, makes Pokémon up to L70 obey, like in HG/SS
• Add: Higher levels in Kanto
• Add: Sitrus Berry (formerly Gold Berry) restores 25% of max HP, not 30 HP
• Add: Sleep lasts 1-3 turns, not 1-7
• Add: Hex doubles damage if foe has a status condition
• Add: Fishing works 75% of the time, not 50%
• Add: Paralyze and Freeze animations play each turn
• Add: X Accuracy boosts accuracy, it does not ignore accuracy checks entirely
• Add: Struggle does 25% of max HP recoil damage
• Add: Double-Edge and Flare Blitz do 33% recoil damage
• Add: Twineedle checks for poison after each hit
• Add: Substitute blocks Transform, Swagger, and trapping moves
• Add: Substitute does not block draining moves
• Add: Protect works from behind a Substitute
• Add: Substitute prevents gaining money from Pay Day
• Add: 20% chance to defrost, not 10%
• Fix: Some sprites glitch when walking
• Fix: Firebreather Bill was using Kimono Girl Sayo's name and Pokémon
• Fix: Evolution by held item no longer happens without the right item
• Fix: Some items' names were displayed wrong when held
• Fix: Can't get stuck in Cerulean Cave without Surf or Fly
• Fix: Pursuit causing a switching-out Pokémon to faint crashes the game
• Fix: Astonish has a 30% chance to flinch
• Fix: Will-O-Wisp hits through Dig
• Fix: Celadon Game Corner prizes and prices match the displayed ones
• Fix: Pokémon levels for Boarder Stefan, Hiker Kenny, and Bug Catcher Ellis
• Fix: Old Amber in Pewter City and Nugget in Trainer Hall with a full Bag
• Fix: NPC text contradicts new Poison mechanic
• Fix: Silver Cave has a black background in Red's room, not blue
• Fix: Warp home after the final battle, not outside Mt. Silver
• Fix: Elemental punch move tutor charges 200 coins, not 4000
• Fix: Music resumes after certain trainer battles

Patches:

There are two patches, regular and "faithful". The faithful patch does not change any Pokémon types or base stats, or any move attributes. This will be more familiar, but can have some odd consequences, like a Ghost trainer using a Ninetales that lacks STAB on its Shadow Ball.

Patches should be applied to a Pokémon Crystal (UE) (1.0) ROM. The one I used has the MD5 hash 9f2922b235a5eeb78d65594e82ef5dde if you need to make sure your copy is correct.

polishedcrystal-1.1.0.ips
polishedcrystal-faithful-1.1.0.ips

The source code on GitHub has a readme with more details, an FAQ, and a guide to using the patch files.

I'll be away for the next week, so I won't be able to check back much on this thread. Please continue to play/test this update, so I'll have bugs to fix when I get back.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
Thank you very much for your offer. Do you want to draw animation frames for the new Pokémon sprites? They're a bit out of place right now.

At the moment I'm visiting my parents, i'll contact you when I get back home. :)

Was this fixed? I had a good laugh when i saw it.

Another suggestion, it would be pretty neat if the bag worked like it did in BW:

In Black and White, the Bag was overhauled again, with eight pockets being condensed into five, much like in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. The pockets are called Cases in these games, and are labeled Items, Medicine, TMs & HMs, Berries and Key Items, with Poké Balls, Mail, held items and other items all being placed in the Items pocket. Held items, Mail and Poké Balls are indicated as such by an icon displayed to the immediate left of the item that corresponds to what type of item it is.
In these games, recently acquired items (other than TMs) are added at the top of their respective item list (rather than the bottom, as in previous generations), and players can sort a pocket automatically by pressing Start, in addition to manual sorting with Select.

and in Gen IV they implemented infinite space, too.

I got too spoiled with the later bag systems, never had a problem with GSC bag before {XD}

Also,
Spoiler:

Wondering if I should restart right away since i didn't even beat the league yet, but I'm the kind of person that gets attached to their pokémon. :3c Great job wiith the update, anyway!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
At what level does murkrow evolve into honchkrow? Or do I need to find a duskstone, if so, can you tell me where to locate one? Would appreciate it, thanks so much!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2022
How messed up would things get if I used the save file from v1.0.0 to play v1.1.0?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
rawritsapples: You'll need a Dusk Stone. There's one in Dark Cave, one in Mt. Moon, a couple more in other caves, and Bill's grandpa gives you one.

indubitably: Some events would be undone (like trainer battles, picked-up items, and storyline events), and some would be triggered too early. And depending on which map you're on, it might crash. Just start a new save file. I'll try to stick to non-save-breaking features for the next release, like adding new X/Y move mechanics.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I'd like to hear your opinions on new Pokémon to add or remove. All 253 slots are full, so whatever I add has to be balanced with a removal.

Possible Pokémon to add: Electivire and Magmortar (as a pair), Rhyperior, Mantyke, or I could put back Goldeen+Seaking, Spearow+Fearow, and/or Shuckle.

Possible Pokémon to remove: Hoppip+Skiploom+Jumpluff, and/or Mr. Mime.

I kind of don't want to remove the Hoppip line, because that leaves fairly few Grass-types: Chikorita, Bellsprout, Oddish, and Paras early on, plus Exeggcute, Tangela, Leafeon, and Bulbasaur later. And Jumpluff is a decent Pokémon to use, unlike the removed Sunflora. I wouldn't miss Mr. Mime, especially since more Pokémon are part-Psychic now, but maybe other people are a fan?

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I like Mr. Mime. But I wouldn't mind seeing the Hoppip line removed in favour of Rhyperior, Electivire, and Magmortar. Maybe you could remove Stantler too, and bring back Shuckle.

SMOKe._.

Champion
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 8, 2018
pls add Electivire and remove pls Hoppip+Skiploom+Jumpluff.
You do a good job :)

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
bugs:
*remaining PP can be replenished by learning new TM moves
after TM use, remaining PP should be carried over from the replaced move and not be replenished

*crunch should have a chance to lower defense, not special defence

*AI enemy pokemon using thief can steal your held items permanently. in later gens it is not permanent, items are returned after battle.

regarding modification of pokemon list, perhaps i could suggest something that might be controversial,
how about replacing most of the BABY mons (eg.elekid, magby, smoochum, pichu).
Other than an ingame trade you did not include any of them in the wild or in early game AI trainers AFAIK (or at least very scarce) and also almost all players would want them to evolve asap anyway. Other than breeding purposes (i mean you could just make it such that you get magmar instead of magby from the egg, make magmar learn the egg moves..) I don 't think anyone would miss them if they are replaced.

mr mime should not be removed, its pretty unique fairy/psychic typing adds to the pokemon diversity in the game.

instead of removing the hoppip line, i would like to see them buffed. Jumpluff could do with a little boost in attack to make it usable (maybe to 80?), also let it learn Fly before you introduce acrobatics into the game. if thats too much you could slightly nerf one of its defenses to compensate.

and yeah i would really like to see electivire and magmortar in the game.

oh btw i think you should change the title of this thread. to let people know that there has been an update

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 26, 2017
Did you change the level of wild pokemon in johto? I don't wanf to be underleveled against the elite four.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 9, 2023
How to evolve Graveler, Haunter and Yanma?

May you consider to release a readme with all the infos about the new evolution methods and where to find certain Pokémon.

Zef

zef
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
How to evolve Graveler, Haunter and Yanma?

May you consider to release a readme with all the infos about the new evolution methods and where to find certain Pokémon.

you didnt even look on the github lol its all there

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I'll fix the PP and Crunch bugs. I thought I was "handling" the Thief bug by not giving that move to any AI Pokémon, but forgot that it was added to some learnsets. Will look into it.

The remaining baby Pokémon do serve a purpose. Tyrogue links the Hitmons; Togepi is central to the early plot; Magby, Smoochum, and Elekid give the adult-like humanoid Pokémon a sensible form when they hatch. Pichu isn't too important, but it's a cute mascot. I will add them in the wild, though, and maybe buff them to somewhere between a starting Pokémon and its middle form (so ~400 BST).

That leaves the Hoppip line to be replaced by Electivire, Magmortar, and Rhyperior. Maybe some other early Pokémon could become part-Grass? Furret, or Mareep?

Edit: New plan. Remove Smoochum and Stantler, add Electivire and Magmortar. Smoochum and Mime Jr. are a pair, so I won't keep one without the other. Stantler would be better as a Psychic/Normal type, but we have Girafarig for that.

Also had a good idea for evolving the former trade evolutions, instead of just level-up: Kadabra when it has too much Special stat experience to take any more Calcium, Machoke with Protein, Graveler with Iron, and Haunter with Carbos.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
oh btw i think you should change the title of this thread. to let people know that there has been an update

How do I do that? I don't see anything in the Edit Post page or the Thread Tools dropdown.

Back