• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

X or Circle?

Years
In Japan, many PlayStation games originally used the circle button for confirm and the X button for cancel. When these games were released outside Japan, what button does what was switched around for some reason. Now, which layout do you prefer? Circle for confirm and X for cancel or vice versa?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I've always used X to confirm and O to cancel or exit. I really don't think I could do it a different way lol.

TY

X to confirm and O to cancel, never had it otherwise and never will be capable of breaking the traditional habit.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Having played a lot of imported Japanese games, you get use to switching it up between the usual X to confirm, O to cancel after awhile.

Apparently it's a cultural thing. Because in the Japanese mindset X means "no, bad, wrong, or cancel" it is the perfect label for the PlayStation's "back button" in the home market.

Years
Having played a lot of imported Japanese games, you get use to switching it up between the usual X to confirm, O to cancel after awhile.

Apparently it's a cultural thing. Because in the Japanese mindset X means "no, bad, wrong, or cancel" it is the perfect label for the PlayStation's "back button" in the home market.

Yeah, the usage of the buttons here in the west can be summed as follow: X, well, marks the spot after all and Circle kinda looks like the number Zero in a way.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Japanese layout. For sure. I have no idea what kind of mindset western Sony branches had when they decided to do confirmation with X.
At least they offered a customization on PS4.
I always look forward to O confirmation when I import my weeb games =D

In Japan, many PlayStation games originally used the circle button for confirm and the X button for cancel.
Not just many, ALL of them =D
In Japan, you have O (maru) for confirmation and X (batsu) for canceling everywhere. On your console, on your games, everywhere.

Maybe western AAA titles have the western layout, though...

Years
SInce I'm used to it now, I prefer the x for confirmation and the O for cancel. Though O for cancel was a change that took some getting used to when I made the jump from PS2 to PS3, as most PS2 games I had familiarity with used the triangle button to cancel.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
The X button is the Jump button. So long as they have that down, I'm good.

Or accelerate...oh wait. I'm still miffed that they changed the typical button to the bloody R2 button on the move from PS2 to PS3. It was the thing I liked about the PS2, the important stuff seemed to always be on the same button, at least to me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 4, 2017
✕ for Confirm
O for Cancel.

Its as simple is that for me. It took me a while to get used to some of those imports that switched it around but it wasn't a big deal.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I really wonder why they switched it. An O symbol is used generally as a positive mark like a tick, and X a negative one, so it makes sense for O to remain confirm, plus its position as the confirm button would be consistent with every other console ever afaik. I bet y'all play Ninendos more than Sonys (because Pokemon), so you're already used to it really.

Yukari

It makes no difference to me whatsoever. It isn't like I'm going to be spending that much time on most of the menus.

Back