• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Well, since the genre as a whole seems to be getting mixed with vampires/zombies/spaceships/pirates/what-have-you, I've tended to look for other things to watch, too.

I prefer shoujo, anyway xD But the supernatural stuff has already begun creeping into them as well. The way I see it, if I want to see something over-the-top fantasy, I'll pick up a transforming-girls mahou shoujo series.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Hasn't the shounen romance stuff always involved other elements? Just thinking back to stuff like Urusei Yatsura and stuff like that. Also VN stuff often has some sort of supernatural element blah blah.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Hasn't the shounen romance stuff always involved other elements? Just thinking back to stuff like Urusei Yatsura and stuff like that. Also VN stuff often has some sort of supernatural element blah blah.

Shounen Romance, maybe. Visual novels are usually because of the setting. Most of any supernatural element comes off the centerpiece of the show, biggest one i can think of being the Cherry Tree in the Da Capo series. Other than that, it's specific characters or something. I assume it's something like wanting to differentiate themselves from certain classics since it's pretty hard for one without "something different" to sell without some amazing writing.

Pure OVA adaptations generally aren't that good though due to a low amount of time and a decent number of routes. To make a good OVA adaptation, they'd need to jump right into a specific girl's route. Rather, OVAs for VNs these days tend to be more along the lines of "here are the sex scenes we missed cuz we can't air them on TV"

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Regarding that, they should all be creative like Fate Stay Night.
Spoiler:

Well, Fate/Stay Night is a bit of a different story since it wasn't originally made to be a visual novel, or at least the concept. The Archer/Emiya combo was pretty change-in, though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Can't believe I let this thread languish for so long!

Re: Jenna Rose - there was honestly a time where I had all of the words to 'My Jeans' memorised. I'm not going to say it was the proudest moment of my life, but I'm not going to deny it, either!

Re: Penny Coats - couldn't even listen to it all the way through. But at least Black/Rose et al at least have the decency to come from rich parents who can buy the services of companies dedicated to giving 12-year-olds their dream fantasy of being a pop star for 3 minutes. All Coats does is a bad cover of a Bieb song.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Title change!
I still know the lyrics to Friday, even though it wasn't as much as me wanting to learn them as much as forcibly learning them through the internet/radio :(

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
OK, so a cinema near me is having an anime season in June, and I was wondering if I should check out any of the films listed below, as none of them ring any bells:

• Oblivion Island (Hottarake no shima - Haruka to maho no kagami)
  • Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below (Hoshi o ou Kodomo)
  • Gintama - The Movie (Gekijouban Gintama: Shin'yaku benizakura hen)
  • A Letter to Momo (Momo e no Togami)
  • The Princess and the Pilot (To Aru Hikushi e no Tsuioki)
I'll definitely be seeing From Up on Poppy Hill because despite the fact that it's Goro, it's still a new Ghibli. I might end up seeing Fullmetal Alchemist 2 - The Sacred Star of Milos, but do I need to see the first film to get it? (Seen the original series, but that's about it.)

So, thoughts?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Can only comment on one of those. The Gintama film was pretty well done, music and animation wise but if you don't have the background knowledge on the characters it's probably not worth watching. Of course if you feel like marathoning through 58 episodes/89 chapters before it airs that's a different story.

Years
So I have Netflix and have been watching some old episodes of Mythbusters on it and to my shock and horror have discovered that they do not carry the episodes in order and omit a lot of episodes entirely. I would be okay with this, but they list what episodes they do have as though they are complete and in the proper order. Not cool, Netflix. Not cool.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm kinda disappointed in Netflix... at least their streaming-output. Through surreptitious means, I have access to US Netflix, and their films that they have for streaming are kinda piddly; especially in comparison to what I was expecting e.g. UNLIMITED AMAZING MOVIES FOREVER AND EVER! Their Hitchcock Collection, for example, is really crappy. No Vertigos or Psychos or Rear Windows; just later-period crap. The TV section, however, is really good, from my experience, but its streaming film collection could be a lot, lot better. Still, I'm gonna watch Ran and Kagemusha at some point this week, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Years
Well I have legit netflix and I give Cat permission to gripe.

In other new, I'm seeing The Avengers on Friday and since I haven't had time to sew an Avengers theme dress I'm gonna go with themed nail polish. That's how I roll.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Netflix is expecting some big changes soon, allegedly. They've been allowing people to throw suggestions at them for what to air. Though I am a little disappointed to. At first there seems to be loads, after about a week or two you begin to realize most of it is regurgitated garbage.

Avengers seems to be the only movie out now that I'd consider seeing. And maybe 21 Jump Street. Though comedies always feel like more of a "sit at home on the couch with some munchies and friends and kick back" kind of deal, rather than going to the cinema and paying out the ears.

Years
For sure, paying to see a movie in theatres is so expensive you have to pick carefully what you're willing to see. I feel like I'm already paying way too much at $9.75.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I feel like I'm already paying way too much at $9.75.
OMG THAT'S SO CHEAP!

The last film I saw was The Cabin in the Woods and that cost £8 (about $13), which is about average for London. 3D stuff obvs costs more, which is why when I eventually see The Avengers, it'll be in nice non-colour-sucking 2D.

Gav: Although I can easily imagine it playing brilliantly in a "sit at home on the couch with some munchies and friends and kick back" atmosphere, I'd still recommend seeing 21 Jump Street in a cinema. It is very funny, and seeing it with as large an audience as possible really does enhance the film, in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'll give it a watch then, I'll consider popping along to the cinema for it. But yeah, if you pay to see a movie, it's about 10 euro, which is much the same as London Jon. But then if you want to buy food, it's even more expensive. Pixxie Lott tweeted the other day about how she paid more money on food in the cinema than the ticket. Which is crazy.

NB: I don't actually use Twitter.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Netflix is... okay in Canada. There are hardly any movies but the TV show listings are pretty good. Good enough that I haven't gotten tired of them, anyway. My roommate's dad paid for our account but he's in the US right now so the payments stopped last week and I already feel like I'm going through withdrawal since we don't have TV otherwise. XD; So it can't be all that bad.

Our theatre prices are about the same, too. Although I think it's $11 for a normal film and $13 for 3D. ($16 for IMAX?) I might be wrong by $2 on all of them. I don't know. I don't see movies enough and when I do go see one, it's always one that I feel is worth whatever price I have to pay. u_u;;

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
For sure, paying to see a movie in theatres is so expensive you have to pick carefully what you're willing to see. I feel like I'm already paying way too much at $9.75.
Damn I'd like movies to be at that price. I think it's like $12 here. $15 for 3D. $18 for IMAX (damn them!).

Then concession prices on top of that.

And I think lots of people try to pick a screening time such that they go out for dinner afterward and make a day/night of it. Expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back