• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First foray into a Pokemon forum since the early 2000s...

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
Hi everyone, my name is Allyson! I'm 25, and I've been playing Pokemon ever since the first games were released in the US -- back when I was 11. Hope I'm not the only older player around here!

One of the things I've always loved about video games is that they stay fun for me long after their release. I love to replay my old games! I hang on to all of my old systems so my boyfriend is always complaining that he's surrounded by video games. We've got seven consoles floating around our apartment (not including the multitude of Gameboys stashed in various places) and I'm always looking to add more! I know that I don't NEED to have old consoles in the age of ROMs, but I just don't have as much fun playing on a computer...

I found this forum bopping around searching for people playing FR/LG, as I'm currently doing a run-through of the GenIII games. I've also been replaying the Zelda series haphazardly, currently on the original NES version. Don't really have many people to talk to about my games so I'm looking forward to making new friends here!

Shikai

Fight for the name of Pokemon
Years
Welcome to PC. Nice to meet you. And I myself like to play my old games over . Its very fun.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Hi there atomtanned, welcome to PokeCommunity :D It's awesome to know that you play games on the original system. I myself only play ROMs if I don't have access to the actual game. Unfortunately you are to older on around this thread at the moment :P Do you own a SNES? It's awesome and my favorite retro console. Too bad I only have two decent games for it D:

If you are looking for people playing/talking about the Gen III games, the Advance Generation Games forums can be found here. You could also try looking at the Let's Play forum here.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me or a moderator here. I hope you have a good time chatting with other members here at PokeCommunity.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Hi, Allyson!

Welcome to PokéCommunity! I have also been playing the games since the release of Red and Blue in 1998! You aren't the only one. ;)

Pokémon is definitely one of those series that leaves you wanting to come back for more. I am constantly replaying my games, too! I'm currently almost done with my replay of Diamond. I love just being able to start games again with a whole new team and strategy. I'm just like you with all my consoles and games all over the place! As we speak, I have my 3DS and GBASP in front of me, along with my original DS behind me charging. Haha! You just can't get away from them! & yeah, I don't like playing from my computer. I like holding the console in my hand. Call us old school? xD

I'm glad you found this forum, as there are many like you on here! PokéCommunity is great for just chatting about the games, but it's also awesome for just chatting with friends about things not related to Pokémon, too! I hope you'll enjoy it here!

See you around!

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

tabor62, I do have an SNES! It's my original console from when I was a youngin' (I think I got it Christmas '94) and it's been through several cross-country moves -- still going strong! Those old consoles are tough as nails, honestly. I'm looking forward to posting in the GenIII forums!

Gyardosamped, I've been lugging two GBASPs and my DS around with me so I can trade back and forth! Old-school is right, but it's more fun that way, I think!

Years
Hiyah Allyson and welcome to PC! Oh no your not an older player, I'm turning 20 this year and there's people much older here that still enjoy it. (personally 25 isn't even old to begin with... but hey that's another discussion. :P)
Ha wow I couldn't agree more with that! There's just that feeling you get with older games, and having them around to play later in the future just gets you that special feeling. Wow that's quite a bit of consoles... so jealous right now haha.
Yes yes I know that feeling.. some things just feel better playing on their original systems instead of emulating them on a computer or something.
Ohhh your in luck because there's plenty of people who would love to talk about games and such with yourself. (including myself :P)
Everyone is very friendly here, and I'm sure if you just talked to people around I'm sure you'll make plenty of new friends. Anyways hope you enjoy yourself, hope you like it here, and hope to see you around. :)

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Hello Allyson and welcome to PC! I happen to be a older fan myself! I grew up wit the series and have been playing since Red and Blue! My first game was Pokemon Red and now here I am playing Black 2 and White 2 on my DS. Now I'm 20 going on 21 and still playing Pokemon and personally see nothing wrong with being my age and liking Pokemon. It's just something hard for me to let go.

As for the TCG, I haven't played in a while, but I've been thinking of getting back into it since it's now online. To answer your question, the Pokemon website has a list of the sets that are legal in the modified format.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-trading-card-game/pokemon-trading-card-strategy/official-card-dex/

Hope you enjoy yourself here and have fun!

Years
Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Allyson! I'm Cirno, one of the very many members here on PC. ^_^

Pshaw, you're not the only older player at all. You'll see people even older than you around here, actually! I'm turning 22 in a few months so we're not very far apart when it comes to age either. But man I totally agree with you about games being more fun to play when you have the actual copy in your system. I enjoy ROMs but the feeling of taking the game "seriously" or really caring much about it isn't really there like it is if I'm playing on my GBA/DS. Jealous of your SNES too, I've never had one but I did have an awesome N64 that came with my copy of Hey You, Pikachu. <3;

But ooh I'm guessing Charmander was your starter in FR/LG, going by your avatar? Even if he wasn't, he's still ridiculously adorable. I tend to go for Squirtle or Bulbasaur though. Are you playing through the games in order by generation?

Aaand you've already met a few of us, so you're sure on your way to making a whole bunch of friends, hehe. The most important step to meeting people is not to disappear since we never like it when one of our members falls off the face of the forum for months or even years. ): Everyone is valued, meaning you are, too! Stick around~

Have a great time. :DD

Back