• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should parents force their child to study during Summer Vacation?

Years
I am a 15th year old boy. Who is not enjoying his summer vacation. Yeah, you hear it correctly. I am not enjoying my vacation at all. My father always force me to study during summer vacation. I have to get up at 6:00 o'clock at morning and study until afternoon. And from 6 to 10:30 at night. For me summer vacation is just study. While my friends doesn't need to study at all. They are enjoying their summer vacation to their heart contents. And how much marks i am getting by doing study during summer vacation? 45 percentage. I am sick of it. I have studied whole 180 days. I need a rest now.

What is your thoughts on this matter?

Years
I wouldn't force any kid to have to study during their summer vacation. That is just cruel in my opinion. I could see it being recommended a few weeks before returning to school, but not the entire summer.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
I've been doing school the whole summer so far, I'm homeschooling and I hadntfinsihed some of my subjects yet, so it dragged on to the summer. I don't know about cruel, you should never think of your parents that way, but it definitely is disappointing the first time I ever had to work through it, it's really not about you I suppose, just try to succeed make your parents proud, and then go be a need on a forum like the rest of us.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Nope. All kids need a break from learning its why we have summer vacation in the first place. Unless you're one of those few special kinda kids more studying isn't going to make you smarter. Your brain needs a rest too.

I know for a fact that it wouldn't work on me because I'd just look at it and not remember it in the next 5 minutes.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Summer vacation should be shortened. Kids forget too much.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't force my kid to study during vacation except for the last week as a sort of compromise. The kid gets a long break and has a head start once school begins.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
Personally, I do think kids need a break from studying, but it's important to at least keep the stuff engrained in them. Not all kids are cut from the same cloth, so it's hard to say.

Taking them to neat activities and stuff school related that can be fun and interesting is a plausible idea. Studying can only be for parts of the day, not for as long as school and ultimately, I think age is a factor.

Young kids probably aren't as durable with studying as your highschooler, so I'd say that later down the road, implementing things to help them in their studies is ideal, like SAT tests, science stuff, programs and all that stuff. Some fun with the sun that helps them keep their schoolwork so the last year wasn't a complete waste.

It can be overdone yes, but helping your kid succeed is the job for every parent and should be something they can invest in and get advice on ways to help their kid. Talking with the kid about this would also be something viable. Learning isn't necessarily always annoying and can be made at least interesting if approached in a good way.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
It's their choice. If they want to be a little responsible early on and take advantage of the opportunity, great. But not big deal if not. I don't want them lazing around in my house all day though. They won't be prepared for the adult life if that happens.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
If it works, why not?

It would be rather disappointing if the parents actually didn't care about how much their children learn. It's their future after all.

Though, of course it can't be all about learning. You still need to give them enough breaks, they're kids after all.

Years
I think it should be heavily encouraged if it's needed but never forced. People need a break sometimes but more to the point it's a good way to teach your kid about the importance of the choices they make. If you need to study and don't and you fail, you've learned a lesson in responsibility the hard way. Just forcing someone to study is forgoing teaching an even more important lesson I feel.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Forcing to study? Unless the child has to catch up on missed/failed subjects in the past year, definitely not. The brain needs a bit of rest every now and then, and a couple of weeks of vacation is necessary.
Of course a vacation is no excuse to turn the brain off for weeks, so to say, and lazily lying on the couch doing nothing doesn't do it much good. Occasionally reading a book or doing a puzzle still helps and (I personally think) is fun as well, so I can recommend that over a forced study any time.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
It depends on whether the teachers/professor will bother about it as school restarts.
Way too many times they had me trouble myself with tasks they completely forgot about, especially in the case of summer homework(had I had a blade or stick by my side, I would've lynched that pesky corpus docens properly!).
If it's a proper assignment, it's suggestable to get it out of the way post-haste, however you'll quite likely stand disappointed.
If the assignment consists of a book, read it, and if you can't finish it, check out a few resumes and
reviews of it, they could help you nail a good mark on the test or essay that will come.
I have to get up at 6:00 o'clock at morning and study until afternoon. And from 6 to 10:30 at night. [...] how much marks i am getting by doing study during summer vacation? 45 percentage. I am sick of it. I have studied whole 180 days.
Of course, staying THIS long on books won't help you with marks, but rather do the exact opposite,
especially if you're getting up at 6:00am and going to sleep at 10:00pm, that is counterintuitive and unhealthy.
Studying night-time, really? Night is meant for sleeping, no surprise marks drop.
If you really must, try revising or doing a few simpler exercises in bed, it might also help sleeping.
The psychological condition has its own influence too, and will alter studying sessions as well as
performance during tests and essays, so think this way : you got a good mark? Congrats. You got a bad mark? Big deal, you can recover.
Troubling yourself too much with trouble will make it double, so stay serene, for a mind clear of excrutiations operates better.

In the end, what truly matters is passing with passable marks, the exams are easier than what everyone anticipates to us,
and besides, the junk they teach us(the obscenities of history, veristic literature, hermetistic poetry, ?=b?-4ac) is very unlikely
to serve any purpose on the labour scene...
...if we get an employment, that is...

*the post gets possibly a bit off-topic and personal, using spoiler*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

...eh? The original poster was banned... I wonder what happened?

Last edited:

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Yes!
Parents should without a doubt make their children study during holidays!

Now, when I say this, I do not mean ten hours a day every day. If I were to say that, it would be ludicrous.
Studying an hour or two minimum a day from around 12pm can actually be incredibly beneficial. This is because 12pm-4pm is the ideal time for your brain to take in information.
A good place to start is going through a textbook. By that, I mean going through every page, leaving notes and basically memorising the entire thing. It seems impossible in the short term (it is). However; in the long term, you will learn everything you will need for your current and future years at school/college/university.
Studying is not easy, its hard. If you can commit to learning what you need or more, you will have more than the knowledge of how to solve for x. You will have gained the ability to persist in life, no matter what you have to do.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Summer break, being too long, is actually a hindrance in learning. I find when you take elongated breaks for months at a time, it severely impacts almost everything you've built up.

I suppose there's a reason Japan implements the year long school years, with many 2 week or so breaks peppered throughout. It is more effective than just 25% of the year completely off.

But if you force a kid to keep studying throughout even that, then what's the point of having a break at all? They're getting the worst outcome of everything. So no, I wouldn't.

Back