The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Science & Technology
Chit-Chat Developers, developers, developers, developers

Science & Technology From the computer lab to the chemistry lab, or even the observatory, here's where we nerd out over all things science and technology!

Closed Thread

Old September 29th, 2013 (12:56 PM).
redemption

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
It's actually very hard to infect something with a virus unless somehow someone's been neglecting/suppressing automatic updates and disabled anti-malware solutions (NEVER do that even if you have a lot of common sense - zero day, anyone?). Chances are if you can't install Firefox, something is fundamentally wrong with it, though - try using Windows 8's built-in refresh/reset functionality and see if things change. (You'll have to reinstall desktop applications, but it'll usually do a lot.)

Ask her what she wants to do now and in the near future, and what she has in terms of both applications and media (like pictures, music, and videos). Is she comfortable with dealing with external drives and is willing to give up libraries?
Well it's not my computer so I can't really do much with it. And she seems fine with IE as long as she can do her work on her desktop. Don't believe she does much else on it herself other than the occasional youtube so unless it comes a general problem then eh. Not going to touch it. But I don't even know if she has an antivirus set up which is why I mentioned it possibly being a virus in the first place.

Well she needs it for school I know that. Other than that I'm fairly certain it'll be a lot of music, pictures, and videos (like music videos or something idk). However not gaming. We don't really do much PC gaming in this house so it's not that much of a big deal if the laptop isn't capable of gaming at all (especially considering if you really want a computer to game on I know that you're better off getting a desktop which is not what we're getting her. She needs to bring the computer to school after all haha). I do have two external hard drives and she is welcomed to use one if she needs to but it'll be nice if there is enough space to where she doesn't have to for a while (in which videos would probably be the last thing on her mind to download. Music likely being the first and pictures the second.)

my past does not define me
'cause my past is not today

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 29th, 2013 (5:06 PM).
Nothing of significance

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪
    Even if you want to get a Mac, for the same price as a Mac, you can also get a nice, beefy Ultrabook, gaming laptop, or maybe both in the same machine.
    It's also possible to get all three in the same machine. I won't go into details here, but I've done several hackintoshes before, and it's easier than most Linux installs.
    Old September 29th, 2013 (7:07 PM).

Nature: Jolly
    I'd rather get a powerhouse gaming laptop than blow my money on any sort of Macbook, even if it meant less portability. You can do way more to a machine that's built for Windows than you can with Macbooks. At least with a non-Apple laptop you can upgrade the memory yourself without having to worry about the memory being soldered to the motherboard.
    Old September 29th, 2013 (8:38 PM).
    You like dragons?

Nature: Hasty
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catalyst. View Post
    It's also possible to get all three in the same machine. I won't go into details here, but I've done several hackintoshes before, and it's easier than most Linux installs.
    I don't bother with gaming on OS X for good reason: chances are games perform their best in Windows, and Windows alone can handle a lot of things OS X also does. It's all in the app ecosystem. The OS X might have a desktop app store, but there's the thing that Windows just have so many apps. Especially games. As long as it's not a Windows RT machine, you're golden.

Trying to maintain an OS X install on non-approved hardware might be a hassle, too. And it might not even work as smoothly as ot would, as it's a hack in the end.

I suggest running with only a single operating system for a given laptop and it is a very good idea to stick with the OS it came with and Windows, which is extremely likely to be both. :) Less hardware and software incompatibility, less headaches down the road.
    Old September 30th, 2013 (9:52 AM).
    Nothing of significance

Quote:
      I don't bother with gaming on OS X for good reason: chances are games perform their best in Windows, and Windows alone can handle a lot of things OS X also does. It's all in the app ecosystem. The OS X might have a desktop app store, but there's the thing that Windows just have so many apps. Especially games. As long as it's not a Windows RT machine, you're golden.

Trying to maintain an OS X install on non-approved hardware might be a hassle, too. And it might not even work as smoothly as ot would, as it's a hack in the end.
      Gaming on OS X is completely pointless, I agree. I was thinking a dual-boot with Windows. Of course a hackintosh can be a pain to set up, but if you have the right hardware, you'll never have issues with it once it's done. Also, it's fun to do B)
      Old September 30th, 2013 (10:11 AM).

It's always best indeed to run operating systems with the best compatible hardware indeed.. but I've heard that Hackintoshes can be quite unstable. And for gamers, I've never met anyone who is a heavy gamer and plays games on OSX at all.. it's usually Windows for the gamers that I know.
      Old September 30th, 2013 (11:31 AM).
      Nothing of significance

Quote:
        Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
        It's always best indeed to run operating systems with the best compatible hardware indeed.. but I've heard that Hackintoshes can be quite unstable. And for gamers, I've never met anyone who is a heavy gamer and plays games on OSX at all.. it's usually Windows for the gamers that I know.
        Hackintoshes are stable if you run them on the right hardware, which these days is a GIGABYTE LGA1155 board with UEFI, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU, and a NVIDIA graphics card. With this setup, OS X runs rock solid. You can get it booting on pretty much any setup these days, but there cab be complications. :P
        Old September 30th, 2013 (9:56 PM).
        You like dragons?

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Catalyst. View Post
        Hackintoshes are stable if you run them on the right hardware, which these days is a GIGABYTE LGA1155 board with UEFI, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU, and a NVIDIA graphics card. With this setup, OS X runs rock solid. You can get it booting on pretty much any setup these days, but there cab be complications. :P
        Shame we're talking about laptops right now :)

Either way, it's actually pretty easy to find a laptop that suits her needs. Just remember that Intel graphics aren't useless anymore (but look for at least HD 4000) and any AMD APU is likely to be too slow in terms of CPU power.
        Old October 1st, 2013 (4:55 AM).

I'd probably get a laptop with an Intel i5 processor for my next laptop, as that's in the middle between the lower-end i3 processor and the higher-end (and probably a little too powerful for my needs) i7 processor. I'd also want a laptop with at least 6-8 GB RAM as 4 didn't cut it for my laptop and a GPU that can at least handle gaming, unlike my current laptop's GPU.
        Old October 1st, 2013 (5:21 AM).
        You like dragons?

Quote:
        I'd probably get a laptop with an Intel i5 processor for my next laptop, as that's in the middle between the lower-end i3 processor and the higher-end (and probably a little too powerful for my needs) i7 processor. I'd also want a laptop with at least 6-8 GB RAM as 4 didn't cut it for my laptop and a GPU that can at least handle gaming, unlike my current laptop's GPU.
        Don't bother with 6GB configs.

Make sure your 8 GB config is 2x4. Dual channel is nice, especially when you even start to think about using the integrated graphics for anything other than "putting a picture on the screen", which is extremely likely if you're into quick video transcodes. (Intel QuickSync is faster than almost every CPU)
        Old October 2nd, 2013 (4:28 AM).

I'll definitely be looking for a laptop that has expandable memory, that's for sure.. but yeah, I'm definitely looking at a laptop with 8 GB RAM so I can do more for sure. I'd also wish to have a laptop with a good processor that doesn't heat up easily or have fans running on high just from opening Skype and an internet browser.
        Old October 2nd, 2013 (4:34 AM).
        You like dragons?

Quote:
        I'll definitely be looking for a laptop that has expandable memory, that's for sure.. but yeah, I'm definitely looking at a laptop with 8 GB RAM so I can do more for sure. I'd also wish to have a laptop with a good processor that doesn't heat up easily or have fans running on high just from opening Skype and an internet browser.
        With a ULV Core i5, it's more of a question of the cooling system's efficiency and aggressiveness.
        Old October 3rd, 2013 (2:28 AM).

So last night I was talking screen resolutions and device usage with someone, and I had complained how 1366x768 was small, but they disagreed.. so then I told that I've adjusted to working with a 1920x1080 resolution and that whenever I go to work on my laptop I feel "confined" to the small resolution of my laptop since I use my desktop way more.

As for my tablet, though, it's 1920x1200.
        Old October 3rd, 2013 (3:20 AM).
        You like dragons?

Quote:
        So last night I was talking screen resolutions and device usage with someone, and I had complained how 1366x768 was small, but they disagreed.. so then I told that I've adjusted to working with a 1920x1080 resolution and that whenever I go to work on my laptop I feel "confined" to the small resolution of my laptop since I use my desktop way more.

As for my tablet, though, it's 1920x1200.
        Hehe, to me, the screen resolution means absolutely nothing. I'm more interested in available screen area, aspect ratio, PPI, and relative item size.

Really, I can't live with anything narrower than 15:9 these days - I feel 15:9 is a better "compromise" than 16:10 or 3:2 with regard to 4:3 and 16:9. 16:10 already feels unusually narrow and cramped and sometimes give me an uneasy feeling.

If I'm working on a laptop or desktop, I would expect a screen size of at least 14" for it to be useful and not too straining. If it is a 16:9 screen and 1366x768, it would be a display of about 110 pixels per inch. In the world of desktop computing, the PPI is perfectly usable with items a 100% scaling, so you have zero compatibility issues. I can work with 133 PPI 10" 1366x768 screens at 1:1 in a pinch, but usually I have a bit of a harder time working for longer periods.

If the PPI goes anything above about 135, I'd want scaling, but in Windows they don't work too well - I don't like non-integer scaling, so I'd end up needing at least 192 PPI and a minimum effective screen resolution of 1280x720 (which would make the display 2560x1440 if we're doing 2:1 pixel scaling). Any PPI lower than 96 PPI looks grainy to me; anything higher than about 135 at my usual viewing distance (usually 1.25x the long side of the display) needs scaling.

It's a bit complex. I certainly find a 15" 1366x768 display significantly more useful than a 7" 1920x1200 display, if only because you have more physical area to work with. :)
        Old October 3rd, 2013 (4:28 AM).

I guess you're right about the pixels per inch value, Twiggy.. so I guess it just takes some time getting used to, since I don't really use my laptop much anymore these days.

If I began using my laptop more, then my eyes probably wouldn't feel as confined to a smaller resolution. Back last year, I was using my laptop more since I didn't have a desktop that ran Windows 7 (my old desktop ran XP), and that's why it felt different to me.
        Old October 3rd, 2013 (10:53 AM). Edited October 3rd, 2013 by Twiggy.
        You like dragons?

Using a laptop and only a laptop tends to change your perceptions in a big way. You start to learn to make full use of the limited physical screen area. You begin to take advantage of automatic window management features. You begin to take advantage of scaling out content slightly. You begin to use applications that can hide unnecessary toolbars. And you do all of them while you have things stay readable.

Microsoft's default UI experience for a lot of desktop apps in the Windows 8/late Windows 7 era actually work very well with regard to this. So clean, so thin... I don't mind using only a single row for both address and tabs as I have made sure that it can show 4 tabs at full size maximized. This leaves ample space for the address bar; it's long enough to display most domain names in full (not the complete path).

And sometimes you don't want the spacing to get too tight. Sometimes you want things to go the opposite way. Take the Zune media player that you can install separately. It's not an Excel spreadsheet music player, so it's already more usable for me in terms of user experience. Every thing in the player does something that you would expect it to do, is responsive, and world really well with common audio formats. I also like how near and cleanly organized every single view is.

I'm actually also a fan of the Ribbon in Office and many parts of Windows. It enhances discovery a lot and it's much easier for me to work with them, as well as them being easily hidden and shown when needed helps a lot, especially with tablet screens where you get a lot more padding for good reason.
        Old October 3rd, 2013 (3:40 PM).
        Banned

Nature: Sassy
          I just bought this for my Nexus 7 so I can use it like a mini-laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9QDP0I/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

I can't wait to get it and review it, omg! :D I should get it next week.

And yes, Twiggy, I love the Surface tablets :P But I gotta have Android xD
          Old October 3rd, 2013 (3:55 PM).

That really seems like a cool thing to have with my Nexus that's for sure, and the price is good for now.. but too bad that I don't have the money to own one of those now >__> and it's on sale too :(
          Old October 4th, 2013 (3:20 AM).
          You like dragons?

I'm finding a lot of use for the Touch Cover myself.
          Old October 4th, 2013 (3:48 AM).

While tablet keyboards are surely becoming a thing, I still don't think they'll be enough to replace laptops entirely. The only real use though for a tablet keyboard for me is if I'm on the go away from home and I want to type something swiftly without the need to bring my laptop. Other than that, I'm just as fine using Swype to get something typed up on my tablet.
          Old October 4th, 2013 (3:58 AM).
          You like dragons?

I'm one of these people that would rather have as much screen space as he can.

Doubling as a cover is nice, too.

Usually I use the touch keyboard while I'm outside with my Surface and there tends to not that many flat surfaces for the cover to work. When it does, however, I find it very convenient to be able to type normally.
          Old October 4th, 2013 (12:17 PM).
          'sup

Nature: Timid
            Hey ^^
            I'm here Zach!

Tablet keyboards are great in general, but since people are most used to laptop keyboards etc, it'll take a while for people to get used to tablet keyboards.
            Old October 5th, 2013 (12:59 AM). Edited October 5th, 2013 by Twiggy.
            You like dragons?

I tend to use the Touch Cover as a cover and a grip assist more.

I tend to use my Touch Cover as a literal cover more often than not, but it comes in very handy when you want to work in Office.

It's also much nicer to hold compared to bare metal.
            Old October 5th, 2013 (5:26 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
            Hey ^^
            I'm here Zach!

Tablet keyboards are great in general, but since people are most used to laptop keyboards etc, it'll take a while for people to get used to tablet keyboards.
            Oh definitely.. considering that not many people use keyboards with their tablet, it will definitely be a gradual, if any move at all before people regularly begin to use tablet keyboards.

Quote:
            I tend to use my Touch Cover as a literal cover more often than not, but it comes in very handy when you want to work in Office.

It's also much nicer to hold compared to bare metal.
            Doesn't the Surface/Surface RT's touch cover also come with a touchpad? If it does, then you've essentially turned it into a laptop pretty much :P
            Old October 5th, 2013 (5:36 AM).
            You like dragons?

Quote:
            Doesn't the Surface/Surface RT's touch cover also come with a touchpad? If it does, then you've essentially turned it into a laptop pretty much :P
            Try taking a beefy, conventional multimedia's laptop and twist it all the way around. You can't. (I won't cover your repair bills.)

(You can bring a tablet much closer to you, and use it without having somewhere to put it on - perfect in public transport or when on the move.)
            Closed Thread

Quick Reply