• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HeartGold hack: Pokémon Heart Red - Red/Blue Remake for Nintendo DS

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2020
tCKpf9h.png

Current Version: v0.4.7.6 (Download)
(Mirror #1, Mirror #2)

Last updated on 4/15/2019

Screenshot Album

Information

This is a ROM hack of Pokemon Heart Gold which aims to remake the classic game Pokémon Red. Dialogue is taken from the Gameboy Advance versions (Fire Red & Leaf Green) however there are no plans to include the Sevii Islands like there are in those games. I will be trying to make this similar to the original, but with the DS's features. This way the ROM can be used as a base for others to start their own hack.

There will be a Soul Blue version released once this is close enough to completion and I also plan on making a Yellow version once Heart Red & Soul Blue have been finished.

Features:
  • Updated type chart (Fairy type)
  • 493 Pokemon
  • Pokemon follow you
  • Classic GameBoy game in DS style graphics, with touchscreen
  • Day & Night Cycle
  • ORAS mini-icons
Progress:
  • 4 Gym Badges
  • 4 Rival Battles
  • 4 In-Game trades
  • Correct Trainer battles
  • Day Care (with breeding)
  • Many (some WIP) scripted events (Mt Moon, Bill's House, S.S. Anne ect..)
  • Running Shoes & Bike are obtainable
Please report bugs here or contact me if you'd like to help.

Download

The archive below contains the patch and the patching program (xdelta).

This must be applied to a Pokemon Heart Gold (U) ROM.
Code:
File: "Pokemon - HeartGold Version (USA) (Xenophobia).nds" or "Pokemon - HeartGold Version (4787) (US).nds"
MD5: ae2a483d0a5e8130d39f44f41a86df57
SHA-1: 30793e274fb4c7ba070ae226edbdfe355504b1f5

- Pokemon Heart Red v0.4.7.6.zip (Mirror #1, Mirror #2) (Latest)
- Pokemon Heart Red v0.4.7.5.zip (Mirror)
- Pokemon Heart Red v0.4.7.4.zip (Mirror)
- Pokemon Heart Red v0.4.7.3.zip (Mirror)
- Pokemon Heart Red v0.4.7.2.zip

Recommended Emulators: DeSmuME, DraStic (Android/phone)

Also works on Flash carts.

FAQ
  1. What are you going to do about Mt Moon and Cinnabar Island since they look different in HG compared to Red/Blue?
    • For now, I'm going to leave as is. When the hack progresses further I plan on using a map editor to make them look like the originals.

2. Will you be expanding the pokedex?
    • I hope so.

3. Can we go to Johto?
    • I will probably make a separate version once the ROM is complete which opens up the area (maybe with a story). I also want to look into the possibility of adding Sinnoh as a 3rd region.

Changelog

Spoiler:

Known Issues / To Do

Spoiler:

Credits

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hooray, first post here~
Anyway, judging by the screenshots, this is looking pretty neat. The graphics are pretty much perfect (if memory serves me correctly) and the sprites are looking great as well.

Good luck~ :3

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Well, I played it for a bit, and it seems to be off to a nice start.

There were a few issues that I found pretty quickly though. First, you may wanna look into getting better sprites for the gender selection screen. The ones you use are a little poor quality. Second, during the script for getting your Pokédex, there are no sprites for the Pokédexes, and the player does not face Oak after the rival comes in nor do you face the rival when he tells you not to come to his house for a map. Also, the rival does not walk out the door, but through the wall right next to it. Finally, when you get the map, it only shows Johto, not Kanto.

Overall, like I said before, you're off to a nice start. But, I feel like the stuff you copied from Chaos Rush's work is a little out of place if you're looking to make a perfect remake, so you may want to look into making your own stuff.

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2020
itari said:
There were a few issues that I found pretty quickly though. First, you may wanna look into getting better sprites for the gender selection screen. The ones you use are a little poor quality. Second, during the script for getting your Pokédex, there are no sprites for the Pokédexes, and the player does not face Oak after the rival comes in nor do you face the rival when he tells you not to come to his house for a map. Also, the rival does not walk out the door, but through the wall right next to it. Finally, when you get the map, it only shows Johto, not Kanto.

Yeah all of those are known, except for the direction facing issue (which I haven't noticed).

I was gonna post my needs fix list but they're just bullet points.

itari said:
But, I feel like the stuff you copied from Chaos Rush's work is a little out of place if you're looking to make a perfect remake, so you may want to look into making your own stuff.

What are you talking about? You can clearly see much of the work that has been done in the changelog and that doesn't even include all of it.

I've spent hours and hours scripting and testing this ROM.

These hacking tools also aren't perfect and bug sometimes so progress isn't as fast as you would think.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2017
Hello i tried to patch xdelta with 3 different Heartgold roms, two US and one European and had a message like wrong checksum and rom crushes when trying to load them.What can i do? Can you maybe provide the prepatched rom

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2015
This game looks so promising! I can't wait to see more screenshots and progress on it. And it being on my 2nd favorite pokemon game makes me even more fun :D

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I spent a few hours today "testing" it, was impressed. There are still some things from HGSS that should not be there, such as Trainer House, the difficult Trainers in SS Aqua and Gold's sprite appearing in place of Red when saving the game.

Minor problems, none of these render the game unplayable and you can very well leave these things in. Also, will the in-game trades from RBY come back at some point? I went into Vermilion expecting to trade for a Farfetch'd, but instead saw the the same people as HGSS. Overall, this has been an excellent beta to what I'm sure will be an excellent hack.

PS: I hear there is a Platinum demake for the GBA in the works, and this would be a great counterpart to it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
While I don't have a problem with you using that old project as a base, I highly don't recommend keeping my custom dialogue, especially because it was changed to set up a modified storyline that you're obviously not using (nor would I give permission to).

And I know this may sound nitpicky, but if you were to do this from scratch, would the first rival battle really be outside? I feel like it's only like that because I already scripted it before abandoning the project on the DS.

Also another thing, in that one screenshot, why is Snorlax in front of Diglett's Cave? In my hack that I made after I moved back to GBA hacking (the most recent incarnation of DarkViolet), I had Snorlax in front of Diglett's Cave because I had the Viridian Gym as the fifth gym, and wanted to use Diglett's Cave as an actual dungeon to traverse through after the 4th Badge. Assuming your hack is just a 'normal' remake rather than a re-imagining like mine, there's no reason why Snorlax would have to be in front of Diglett's Cave, as Snorlax was on Route 12 in the original game.

With that aside, I wish you good luck on this project, as I've always thought it would be interesting to see a Kanto remake with HGSS as the base (which I actually once attempted doing, hence why this even exists). Just a couple things worry me, because it has certain DarkViolet traits (outdoor rival battle, Snorlax in front of Diglett's Cave instead of Route 12) that a "Game Freak style" remake shouldn't have, and I kinda feel like you wouldn't have made those decisions if my hack didn't exist. If this is going to be a DarkViolet DS port, then I have a problem with that, as I never gave permission specifically to copy my GBA hack. I haven't played the beta, but the first post claims this is just a normal FireRed remake, so I'll take your word on that.

Just to make it clear, I have no problems with you using the little DS stint I did as a base, but I have problems with things directly taken from the GBA hack I did after that (mostly because even though I said it's cancelled, it not really canceled, but it's being restarted under a different name), that's all.

(lol we both have Dragonair avatars)

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2020
@Chaos Rush

Don't worry, I'm going to make this as similar to FRLG as I see fit and any differences from the original should be minor.

I've never played your ROM either so some similarities are probably just coincidental.

I do like the outside rival battle though and I probably wouldn't have done it on my own. I plan to keep it as is but I'll be moving Snorlax away from the cave entrance.

Appreciate the support.

Chaos Rush said:
I highly don't recommend keeping my custom dialogue

Which dialogue?

I spent a few hours today "testing" it, was impressed. There are still some things from HGSS that should not be there, such as Trainer House, the difficult Trainers in SS Aqua and Gold's sprite appearing in place of Red when saving the game.

Minor problems, none of these render the game unplayable and you can very well leave these things in. Also, will the in-game trades from RBY come back at some point? I went into Vermilion expecting to trade for a Farfetch'd, but instead saw the the same people as HGSS. Overall, this has been an excellent beta to what I'm sure will be an excellent hack.

PS: I hear there is a Platinum demake for the GBA in the works, and this would be a great counterpart to it.

Thanks for testing!

NPCs aren't the highest priority, I try to spend my time scripting the story.

and yes I'll be implementing in-game trading seen in the original games.

The next release will be more polished.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Alright, that's fine by me. You can't blame me for being a bit accusatory, since my GBA hack is visually similar to HGSS's Kanto, and your hack is directly based on HGSS. Of course, I'm well aware of the fact that I'm not the only person in the world who had the idea of playing through HG/SS's version of Kanto during Red's prime, as I really liked HGSS's Kanto map designs.

I look forward to this project, and wish you the best of luck! I will definitely try it out. As you might have already guessed, I'm a fan of the Kanto region and the Gen I Pokémon are still my favorite Pokémon designs even after many generations have passed.

Just out of curiosity, what are you/have you done about Mt. Moon since it was heavily botched in HGSS? And what are you going to do about the S.S. Anne, Silph. Co, the Safari Zone, Cinnabar Island, and Route 23? I'm aware that DS map hacking has been a bit more accessible in recent years but it's still a rare occurrence.

EDIT: For the custom dialogue, I meant specifically when Blue tells you after the battle that Prof. Oak gave the third starter to a third Trainer. There's no third Trainer in FRLG.

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2020
Chaos Rush said:
I'm a fan of the Kanto region and the Gen I Pokémon are still my favorite Pokémon designs even after many generations have passed.

Yeah, me too.

Chaos Rush said:
Just out of curiosity, what are you/have you done about Mt. Moon since it was heavily botched in HGSS?

For now I'm leaving it as is. It's just much smaller than the original.

If progress goes well I'll be doing more map editing.

Chaos Rush said:
And what are you going to do about the S.S. Anne, Silph. Co, the Safari Zone, Cinnabar Island, and Route 23? I'm aware that DS map hacking has been a bit more accessible in recent years but it's still a rare occurrence.

I think the S.S. Anne can be re-scripted because of some story events that already take place on it.

I'm not sure about the rest but I'll find something out when the time comes.

Chaos Rush said:
For the custom dialogue, I meant specifically when Blue tells you after the battle that Prof. Oak gave the third starter to a third Trainer. There's no third Trainer in FRLG.

I don't think that's in this version. If it is I didn't notice and I'll remove it.

lowkey1202

Unofficial Game Tester
Years
  • Age 11
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Could you make it more challenging and maybe custom trainer or some new rivals

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2017
Yay thank god someone's continuing this. Good luck with the hack and try keep the story as close to Fire Red's as possible.

Back