• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Should ORAS have been a gen 7 game?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
So this is technically the second to last thread of the week even though SM is out in many places already!!

What feature from SM should have been introduced in ORAs? Or, alternatively, should we have waited for Hoenn until after SM's release!

(sorry I havent been replying to the threads I'm technically on LOA due to finals but I log on to post the threads!!)

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Hoenn (Hoennian?) formes would have been cool, maybe. ;)
Also no HMs, but that would have been appreciated from the beginning of the series. lol

Guest123_x1

To be honest, I think that if Hoenn remakes were skipped for Generation VI, we probably would never be seeing that region ever again. I remember expecting Hoenn remakes during Generation V, but that generation came and went without a previous region remake. I was pleasantly surprised when the Internet started buzzing with "HOENN CONFIRMED" not long after X/Y's release.

Aside from the above, I can't really think of anything from Sun/Moon that would have fit in OR/AS.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Aside from the above, I can't really think of anything from Sun/Moon that would have fit in OR/AS.

Spoiler:

But no, I'd prefers ORAS before SuMo, to be honest, or the gap would've been so wide in between XY and SuMo.

blue

gucci
Years
Nah, I feel like ORAS was more suited to gen VI since they worked the concept of Mega Evolution into the storyline pretty nicely. I think Sinnoh remakes would be much more suited to seventh gen given that Sun and Moon have a sort of space theme going on.

Years
I agree with Joe above me there. I felt that OR/AS worked well as a 6th Gen game and I liked how the Mega Evolution was written into the plot, plus if 7th Gen were to get a previous region remake it would definitely have been Sinnoh.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 14, 2017
If not for the Delta Episode I would have said it wouldn't make a difference - Lunatone/Solrock could have easily tied ORAS to Sun and Moon - but considering they deliberately included that to tie Mega Evolution to the plot, it made more sense to have ORAS as sixth generation titles. The lack of any other sixth gen titles asides XY would have made it strange as well, as traditionally there have always been either a third version or another set of games to fit into a generation.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Nah, I feel like ORAS was more suited to gen VI since they worked the concept of Mega Evolution into the storyline pretty nicely.

Let's not forget about the sheer amount of hype Mega Evolutions brought for OR/AS. When they showcased the mega starters, I ended up really wanting the game. Then there was the mega for Glalie, a very underrated Pokemon, which made me respect the game (can you respect video games? aha).

Since Mega Evolution wasn't Sun/Moon's main gimmick, as Game Freak gave the spotlight to Z-Moves, there wouldn't be as much hype since most Z-Moves aren't really like Megas, where they're signature to the Pokemon and are one of a kind.. Hoenn forms, however, are a different story. Would've been nice to see, like, Kalosian Pokemon who have migrated to Hoenn, and their adaptations to the different environments that Hoenn provides.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Let's not forget about the sheer amount of hype Mega Evolutions brought for OR/AS. When they showcased the mega starters, I ended up really wanting the game. Then there was the mega for Glalie, a very underrated Pokemon, which made me respect the game (can you respect video games? aha).

Since Mega Evolution wasn't Sun/Moon's main gimmick, as Game Freak gave the spotlight to Z-Moves, there wouldn't be as much hype since most Z-Moves aren't really like Megas, where they're signature to the Pokemon and are one of a kind.. Hoenn forms, however, are a different story. Would've been nice to see, like, Kalosian Pokemon who have migrated to Hoenn, and their adaptations to the different environments that Hoenn provides.

I would think that regional forms is definitely something they introduced for the purpose of being able to continue with them in future generations... but they stopped with Megas for some reason, so I'm not really sure. We only have a few regional forms, so we'll have to see what the rest of gen 7 has to offer. But I personally think that there's still a lot of room for Megas, exclusive Z-moves, and exclusive regional forms for lots of other Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I do agree that ORAS work nicely as gen 6 titles due to their incorporation of Mega Evolution into their plot. But I will say, if ORAS had been released after SM, I wouldn't be missing the DexNav so much right now!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think Hoenn should have waited personally. Yes it might be overkill on the tropical theme but it just fits.

On the other hand... Ultra Beasts do suit Sinnoh remakes more than Hoenn. It's a tough one lol.

I think Hoenn should have brought in more of Alola's chilled nature. Hoenn is too srs business. Gotta chill and have malasadas yo.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
I remember expecting Hoenn remakes during Generation V, but that generation came and went without a previous region remake.

It wasn't just you. So many people were expecting a Hoenn remake during that generation, and it even went as far to the point where some people made hacks of B/W to feature Hoenn Pokemon, such as Pokemon Hoenn White. When the Pokemon Direct at the start of 2013 was hyped up like crazy, one of the most popular hopes was for a Hoenn remake - and to fans' disappointment, it turned out to be X and Y, although it was around that point where Hoenn remake memes exploded and went into full force, especially with the amount of Hoenn references there were in the game and furthering people's hopes for a Hoenn remake, which would eventually come in the sixth generation.

If it were to come during this generation, then it probably wouldn't feel like Hoenn anymore, sadly enough. One of the main drives was the heavy HM use, especially with the water. Surfing on the back of a Lapras wouldn't feel right in the Hoenn atmosphere, considering Lapras isn't native to the region, as is rampaging around on a Tauros. Hell, even the entire remake would have to be revamped to make use for the Ride Pokemon mechanic. However, I would love to see Hoenn forms of certain Pokemon.

qiekenao8668

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 28, 2017
Torchic doesn't count since it was an event before ORAS and is now available to choose in ORAS.

I used mostly my Kalos starter.

qiekenao8668

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 28, 2017
Torchic doesn't count since it was an event before ORAS and is now available to choose in ORAS.

I used mostly my Kalos starter.

Back