• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] Biological Class Challenge

Years
Biological Class Challenge

Welcome! In this challenge you have to play with Pokémon that belong to the same biological class, like Mammals, Birds or Reptiles. Let's sail away in Darwin's boat! If you manage to finish the Challenge, your name will be put in the Champions' list.

Rules

1. You must choose one of the classes listed below. You might use only Pokémon that are in the list of the class you choose.
2. You can't change your class during a game.
3. You can catch a Pokémon from a different class, if it evolves to one that belongs to your class.
4. HM Slaves that don't belong to the class you are playing with are allowed, as long as they don't battle.
5. Cheating to get a Pokémon you can't get normally in the game you're playing is allowed.
6. If the class you chose is not available among the starters of the game you're playing, you might choose what you want, but replace it for the first Pokémon that belongs to your class you find in the game.

The Classes

(Just for knowledge, not all the categories listed below are biological classes, since class has a specific meaning.)

Because Mew gave birth to all types of Pokémon, it is in all classes.
If Arceus is God, and God is nature, then Arceus also belongs to all classes.

Some classifications may seem strange, but they all has an explanation. Azulmarill for example is in the Inorganic class, but it's there because it may be based on a beach ball.
Some Pokémon are in more than one class, since they can be inspired in more than one kind of animal/creature/thing.

Mammals
Spoiler:

Reptiles
Spoiler:

Birds
Spoiler:

Fish & Amphibians
Spoiler:

Arthropoda & Other Invertebrates
Spoiler:

Plants & Fungi
Spoiler:

Inorganic
Spoiler:

Myths & Unclassifiable
Spoiler:

Humanshape
Spoiler:

For those who want a big challenge, there's Fungi Only:
Spoiler:

Fishes Only:
Spoiler:

Amphibians Only:
Spoiler:

End Game Points
(borrowed from Voga's Monotype Challenge, with few changes)

These points are considered the end of the game:
R/B/Y/FR/LG - Defeat Blue/Rival as Champion
G/S/C/HG/SS - Defeat Lance
R/S/E/OR/AS - Defeat Steven (R/S/OR/AS) or Wallace (E)
D/P/Pt - Defeat Cynthia
B/W - Defeat Ghetsis
B2/W2 - Defeat Iris
X/Y - Defeat Diantha
S/M - Defeat Kukui
Hacks - When the credits roll for the first time

Optional End Game Points *Anyone that completes these will get an icon of the game's mascot next to their name in the champion's list, to indicate that they have put more effort into their challenge.
FR/LG - Complete the Sevii Islands side-quests and rematch the Elite Four
G/S/C/HG/SS - Collect the Kanto Badges, rematch the Elite Four, and Defeat Red (Rematching the Elite Four is only HG/SS)
E/OR/AS - Defeat Steven (E), Complete the Delta Episode and rematch the Elite Four (OR/AS)
Pt - Complete the Stark Mountain side-quest and rematch the Elite Four
B/W - Rematch the Elite Four and defeat Alder
B2/W2 - Rematch the Elite Four
X/Y - Finish the Looker Bureau side-quest
S/M - Finish the Ultra Beast side-quest, get to the Battle Tree, and defeat Red/Blue

Signing Up

You can sign either for a Single Challenge, in which you play one game with one class, an Ultimate Challenge, in which you play a game on each region using one class (remakes are allowed, so either Red or FireRed count for Kanto), or the special Darwin Challenge. In the Darwin Challenge, you must play a game in each 7 regions, just like the Ultimate Challenge, but in this one you must use the living being classes from the least evolved to the most evolved. The order is:

Plants & Fungi -> Arthropoda & Other Invertebrates -> Fish & Amphibians -> Reptiles -> Birds -> Mammals -> Humanshape

In both Ultimate and Darwin Challenges, the order of the regions of the games you play doesn't matter.

Use this format to sign up:

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Username:
Class:
Game:
Single/Ultimate/Darwin:[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

This is my sign up:

Username: Piloswine
Class: Reptile
Game: Emerald
Single/Ultimate/Darwin: Single

Challengers:
Spoiler:

Champions:
Spoiler:

Have fun.​

Last edited:
Years
Guys, I changed the order of the Darwin challenge. Now Plants come before Arthropoda, what's more correct.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Username: Disturb Not The Harmony
Class: Plants
Game: Red

I plan to blitz with Venusaur (Body Slam/Sleep Powder/Gen-1!Razor Leaf), so I hope to report back later today.

Out of curiosity, since you mention cheating in unobtainable Pokemon, can you cheat in Elemental Stones (say, after four badges) if they're otherwise unobtainable before the E4? Gold/Silver has a real issue with this.

Years
Class: Plants
Game: Red

I plan to blitz with Venusaur (Body Slam/Sleep Powder/Gen-1!Razor Leaf), so I hope to report back later today.

Out of curiosity, since you mention cheating in unobtainable Pokemon, can you cheat in Elemental Stones (say, after four badges) if they're otherwise unobtainable before the E4? Gold/Silver has a real issue with this.

Yeah, you can do it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Okay, thanks!

Plant run of Kanto completed with :t003: at L60. It was greatly aided by an interesting design choice in Gen 1 that, for all but the slowest Pokemon, Razor Leaf always crits. Unfortunately, the same design choice also results in Alakazam getting frequent criticals (due to its high speed), so the Champion battle took a few tries.

Signing up for Johto now. I won't be able to get away with a solo this time...

Class: Arthropoda & Other Invertebrates
Game: Silver

Years
Okay, thanks!

Plant run of Kanto completed with :t003: at L60. It was greatly aided by an interesting design choice in Gen 1 that, for all but the slowest Pokemon, Razor Leaf always crits. Unfortunately, the same design choice also results in Alakazam getting frequent criticals (due to its high speed), so the Champion battle took a few tries.

Signing up for Johto now. I won't be able to get away with a solo this time...

Class: Arthropoda & Other Invertebrates
Game: Silver
Congratulations, you're the first champion of this challenge!

4CQSBbi.png

Reptile Run - Emerald

I'm back in Hoenn and I feel good. I chose Treecko to begin my journey with me once again and it's been a good companion like always. It's a good fighter too. It grew fast and protected me through our firs steps. We reached together Rustboro, and defeated Roxanne with relative ease, though I passed tense moments against that Nosepas of hers. At the end Elrond won, and evolved. Now it's a cool Grovyle.
The Devon Corporation gave me a PokéNav for helping the Devon Corp. and now I'm taking a package from them through the sea to another city. But first I should stop by Dewford and give a guy named Steve a letter from the Corp.'s President...

Team

grovyle.png

Elrond / Grovyle M / LV 18

Rock Tomb
Bullet Seed
Absorb
Fury Cutter

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
I'm probably going for the bonus "defeat Red", so not quite finished, but here's my entry through Elite Four. I've never had so much respect for a Parasect. Or a Beedrill.

It turns out I didn't need to hack in a Water Stone after all! In fact, I just got the legitimate Water Stone in Kanto. So much for my initial plans. {XD}

Spoiler:

My party:
Spoiler:

---------

Red has been defeated.

Let's just say it involved a whole lot of Revives, a whole lot of Hyper Potions, and Spore. Honestly, I would have had to level much higher without it. Despite my initial conviction that Starmie would be the MVP of the run... I now have to give that title to Parasect. Starmie provided the power to actually score KOs in a timely fashion, but Parasect kept enabling my under-prepared, underleveled runs at major foes by swooping in with Quick Claw!Spore and stopping team-OHKOing Pokemon in their tracks. I never expected, when I started, to be able to defeat Red with a team of Bug Pokemon and a Staryu/Starmie riding shotgun. Not only did Parasect enable it, but it enabled it in one day-long dash without stopping to grind, expanding the team beyond three usable Pokemon, or taking any precautions beyond loading up on healing items at the local mart.

Thanks, buddy. I'm never going to underestimate your species again.

~~Mush~~~~Needle~~~StarPKMN~Cruel Lord~~
==L52=======L48======L52=====L22===
47.png
15.png
121.png
73.png

Silver complete!

Last edited:

Kumo Teto

regular ghost
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 31, 2018
Username: Kumo Teto
Class: Plants and Fungi
Game: Omega Ruby for starters
Single/Ultimate/Darwin: Darwin
So. I may take quite some time in finishing all the games. Is there a time limit?

Years
I started the game with Snivy as my starter pokemon and temporary team member. I grinded a bit to raise Snivy up to level 14. Then, I went to the Aspertia Gym to challenge Cheren for the Basic Badge, which I recieved after defeating Cheren. Later, I headed to Virbank City. There, I went to the Virbank Complex and caught Magnemite and Koffing as two of my official team members; I nicknamed Magnemite Tesla and Koffing Pneumonia. After healing my team and depositing Snivy in the PC at the Pokemon Center, I did more level grinding to make my team be at least level 15.

I challenged Roxie for the Toxic Badge, using Tesla for the fight. At the end, Tesla emerged victorious and I got the Toxic Badge. After the battle, I did a brief movie shoot at the Pokestar Studio. Later, I battled some Plasma grunts before heading out to Castelia City to earn the Insect Badge.

Team

Tesla/Magnemite (lv. 17)
Nature: Modest
Thunder Wave/Supersonic/Thunder Shock/Sonic Boom

Pneumonia/Koffing (female) (lv. 16)
Nature: Serious
Poison Gas/Tackle/Venoshock/Assurance

In Storage

Years
I arrived at Castelia City, teamed up with my rival in the Castelia Sewers while fighting two Plasma Grunts, and challenged Burgh at the Castelia City gym to earn the Insect Badge. Afterwards, I headed to Nimbasa City for the Bolt Badge. On the way, I encountered and fought Colress for the first time. I grinded for hours and leveled up my team to at least level 35; Tesla evolved into Magneton and Pneumonia evolved into Weezing. I challenged Elesa and earned the Bolt Badge.

Team

Tesla/Magneton (level 36)
Nature: Modest
Thunder Wave/Mirror Shot/Electro Ball/Volt Switch

Pneumonia/Weezing (female) (lv. 35)
Nature: Serious
Poison Gas/Sludge Bomb/Venoshock/Selfdestruct

In Storage

Last edited:
Years
Hi, Piloswine. For the challenge, is it okay if I use Azumarill on my team since it is listed in the inorganic class?
Yes. It's on the Inorganic list because it's based on a beach ball. Sorry for the delay, I'll answer faster next time.

Username: Kumo Teto
Class: Plants and Fungi
Game: Omega Ruby for starters
Single/Ultimate/Darwin: Darwin
So. I may take quite some time in finishing all the games. Is there a time limit?
No, there's no time limit to finish this challenge.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
So between Persona 5 taking up massive chunks of my gaming time, feeling terrible for the past several days, and not knowing the Lapras you get from Silph Co is only Lv. 15 when you get it in Gen 1 (possibly also combined with the fact that I tend to only update when I actually finish the run outside nuzlockes), I finished the run. Believe it or not, I actually beat the Elite Four first try with an underleveled team thanks to the almighty power of heal spamming and getting two lucky freezes during Lance for more heal spamming. Sounds like a successful run to me.

The Reptile Room (Final)

009.png

Bowser Jr. (Blastoise) Lv. 55
Moves: Ice Beam, Bite, Hydro Pump, Surf
So you know how I mentioned Lapras earlier even though I started with Squirtle? Well, it's a funny story. I originally wanted to use both Lapras and Bowser Jr. here for more type coverage because Lapras can learn Psychic and Thunderbolt along with Ice Beam by level up, but by the time I got to Silph Co, I hardly had need for it. Bowser Jr. did straggle a little behind Boa sometimes because I had two Water moves (I had Bubblebeam until Hydro Pump), but when the Elite Four came along, Bowser Jr put in the most work out of my three man squad. Out of all of them, I'd say he's my MVP.

024.png

Boa (Arbok) Lv. 53
Moves: Rock Slide, Dig, Mega Drain, Strength
Cue the "wow, you are so unoriginal with nicknames" comments. Anyway, Boa was a chore to raise up at first when it only had Wrap. When he finally got Bite, we were in business and Boa slowly rose up towards being...mildly decent? Rock Slide during lategame was nice for the Gyarados and the Ice types that Bowser Jr. couldn't kill, and since he was the fastest member of the team, he proved to be useful.

112.png

First Ever (Rhydon) Lv. 48
Moves: Tail Whip, Earthquake, Submission, Strength
What do I say about this one? The lack of good TMs in Gen 1 combined with the Rhyhorn line's lacking level up moves and extremely low speed made it hard to use this one. I sure spent some time in the Safari Zone trying to catch him because I wanted to use a Rhydon in a run because I'm always denied the use of Golem in recorded lockes because they always die before they evolve. Nuzlockes aside, he was mostly just there.

Now with this run completed, I shall go and plan out which game and which biological class I will tackle next.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
Hey, this seems awesome!!! I am definitely trying this out!

Username: King AZ
Class: Mammal
Game: Heartgold

I am starting right now!!!

Years
S2XFRun.png

Reptile Run - Emerald
Part 2

I went to Dewford to deliver a letter to Steven, but I found out there was a Gym there. I made my way to the leader, but Brawly was too tough. I fell. I decided to heal my wounds training my Grovyle while I crossed a completely dark cave to meet Steven. Colliding with the walls, I made my way to the deepest side of the cave (catching Aron during this walk), and found Steven there. After giving him his letter, I went to Slateport to overlevel (does this word exist?) my Elrond, so it could defeat Brawly's Makuhita. Then I made the poor Mr. Briney take me through the sea again to Dewford. My strategy worked, Elrond defeated Makuhita with its level advantage.
The next step in my travel was going back to Slateport. After giving the goods to Captain Stern, I went north to Muaville City where I fought at another Gym. The battle against the Leader, Wattson, was hard, mainly because all my moves were not effective against his Magneton. I trained my Aron more and challenged him again. Mithril made a good damage, and Elrond's Leaf Blade finished the rest of his team. The sympathetic grandpa gave me the Dynamo Badge.
From Mauville I had three ways to go. I decided to pick the North road and see what I will find.

Team

grovyle.png

Elrond / Grovyle M / LV 30

Rock Tomb
Leaf Blade
Absorb
Screech

aron.png

Mithril / Aron F / LV 22

Metal Claw
Iron Defense
Rollout
Headbutt

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
So, fun fact. Gen 4 is my least favorite generation outside HG/SS, but that's not important right now. We're here to sign up for another helping of biological challenging times.

Username: BlissyMKW
Class: Inorganic
Game: Platinum

Unfortunately, due to how Gen 4 can be along with my planned team, I'll have to solo run the first three gyms with Turtwig until I can get the gift Porygon from Veilstone. Looks like it's gonna be another game of "rely on luck to win" until Veilstone. Hopefully, I can at least get Torterra (or close to getting it) by then.

Back