• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon: Liquid Crystal [3.3.xxxxx Live Beta]

Years
Hey, actually I think that carrying HM slaves are annoying and wasting our slot so I suggest that changing HM moves to Key Items instead. But still you can get the HM moves at the same time you get the Key Items

Replacement:-
No. | Hm move | Key Item name
1. Cut - Hatchet / Axe
2. Fly - Hot Air Balloon / Air Ship / Helicopter
3. Surf - Raft / Motor Boat / Hovercraft
4. Strength - Robot / Dozer
5. Flash - Torch Light / Fire Torch / Lighter
6. Rock Smash - Pick Axe / Hammer / Hand Driller / TNT / Dynamite
7. Waterfall - Rope Hook
8. Dive - Submarine / Scuba Tool / Newt Suit

You could add 'Mini' to some of them which make them capable of putting inside your bag, tho I dont think it does matter. For 'Watefall' I can only think of 'Rope Hook'.

Lastly, PLEAE DONT REMOVE TM31 Brick Break... This skill is a nice combination movesets for Typhlosion.
If you got TM31, which can make Typhlosion strong against 12 out of 16 types.

I say this is a bad idea tbh, Surf is a freaking powerful move and most people have a water pokemon on their team while they playthrough the game, and that hm fits perfectly. The only weak hm's are whirlpool, rock smash, cut(unless you start with Chikorita, since this pokemon does not have the best move set of the three starters and cut is not that bad to teach this pokemon), and flash and those hm's are minor when it comes to playing through.

DarkDurandal said:
I was talking about if it was a Christmas present.

Still the beta is being released this year, meaning this will in how you say it, it would still be a 2011 hack, which that concept makes no sense.

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
Years
No pokegear eh? I guess it was expected and it will certainly make a release quicker and easier. Previously I said i only work on LC on wednesdays, well i've been working almost every day this week and have ticked off around 18 items on the todo list.

So what did I do that was good? Well those who played 2.1 will notice the weekly events were activated by the weather conditions, and when they appeared (for example haircut brothers) you could use them infinitely, unlike the original. Those who played 3.0 will know that Day & Night is present and worked with the weekly events but those people could still be used infinitely that day compared to the originals once per day. Well Now they work as expected and will happen only once on that day. I can't really explain it but thats an awesome thing (especially that its fool-proof and will always work, except on a parallel universe...).

So.. When I release it i'll list hopefully a large change log if i can remember everything.

Link

pirateof7sea

I shall crush your hope even if there is none.
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I say this is a bad idea tbh, Surf is a freaking powerful move and most people have a water pokemon on their team while they playthrough the game, and that hm fits perfectly. The only weak hm's are whirlpool, rock smash, cut(unless you start with Chikorita, since this pokemon does not have the best move set of the three starters and cut is not that bad to teach this pokemon), and flash and those hm's are minor when it comes to playing through.

See carefully what I typed, I mentioned that you will get the HM moves at the same time with Key Items. That mean you still could use HM moves on your Pokemon.

Zetsubou Johnny

He once drank an entire bottle of windex
Years

Remember This is gen 3, Waterfall and dive are useless in battle and if you train your Flying Pokemon well you won't want it knowing fly seeing as this is back when it's still a very underwhelming move. Which only leaves Surf and Strength, and even then pirateof7sea suggested that we get the hm moves in addition to the items.

I agree with pirateof7sea i'd rather have them as HM's because noone enjoyed having to lug around an HMslave or having to fight RED with a pokemon that had to know Strength, waterfall, surf and rocksmash.

And TM31 Brick Break is our only Reliable offensive fighting type TM, the game cannot compensate for not having it.

Years
Remember This is gen 3, Waterfall and dive are useless in battle and if you train your Flying Pokemon well you won't want it knowing fly seeing as this is back when it's still a very underwhelming move. Which only leaves Surf and Strength, and even then pirateof7sea suggested that we get the hm moves in addition to the items.

I agree with pirateof7sea i'd rather have them as HM's because noone enjoyed having to lug around an HMslave or having to fight RED with a pokemon that had to know Strength, waterfall, surf and rocksmash.

And TM31 Brick Break is our only Reliable offensive fighting type TM, the game cannot compensate for not having it.

Sorry to say though, that suggestion is very very unlikely to be used. And hm's there effects are not used in battle(there effects only can be used out of battle) so no hm is useless in battle. Surf, Waterfall, and Strength are the most powerful of the hms when in battle. Surf=95, Waterfall & Strength= 80.

For the common flying pokemon Fly is the second powerful flying move they can learn, strongest if they can't learn drill peck.

Zetsubou Johnny

He once drank an entire bottle of windex
Years
Sorry to say though, that suggestion is very very unlikely to be used. And hm's there effects are not used in battle(there effects only can be used out of battle) so no hm is useless in battle. Surf, Waterfall, and Strength are the most powerful of the hms when in battle. Surf=95, Waterfall & Strength= 80.

For the common flying pokemon Fly is the second powerful flying move they can learn, strongest if they can't learn drill peck.

It's understandable for the moves not to be cast to the side. but two turns to do 70 damage verses 2 aerial ace's or wing attacks isn't the best. Heck even two gusts can out perform it, it's not the best move. And since this is before the physical/special split waterfall just paled in comparison compared to surf. You are right, no HM is useless in battle, but several are rarely used in battle and hinder alot more than help. HMs are generally burdens converting them to key items would make the game play alot smoother and make it easier for the player to give their 110%

And we never meant it as an either/or thing, both the moves and the items can be used, but the player will still be able to clear the obstacle even without having a pokemon with the hm move if they have the key item. It makes it easier for the trainer to have 6 pokemon with none of them devoted to being hm users and all of them having their ideal movesets. You wouldn't use rocksmash in a tournament you shouldn't have to use it to fight Red.

Last edited:
Years
I have built pretty good teams with the hm's, and since water is special in the first 3 gens, and water pokemon generally are spc. attackers.

The only hm's I would not use on my main party is flash, whirlpool, and rock smash. I'll catch a slave who will only be in party only when needed for those hm's.

I like fly, even if it is a two turn move, but the good thing about it being a two turn move is you opponent pokemon will be wasting their pp's when trying to attack you.

pirateof7sea

I shall crush your hope even if there is none.
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I have built pretty good teams with the hm's, and since water is special in the first 3 gens, and water pokemon generally are spc. attackers.

The only hm's I would not use on my main party is flash, whirlpool, and rock smash. I'll catch a slave who will only be in party only when needed for those hm's.

I like fly, even if it is a two turn move, but the good thing about it being a two turn move is you opponent pokemon will be wasting their pp's when trying to attack you.
So why not make other set of Key Item that have the same effect as HMs? Key Item Inventory will never be fully occupied ether. Also, LAZ might increase the usage of HMs/TMs outside battle because there is third region which to be completely released soon, Orange Island.(like Wesly's PKMN LP extra 8 TMs)

I also saw some of beta 3.1 screenie that LAZ is using DPPt tiles/sprites, I hope he would change the tiles or setting inside the cave or event that need to be triggered the legendary pokemons. The current cave tiles and setting are boring.

CrimsonK

That one guy.
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
I made a suggestion somewhat along these lines over at the Pokemon World Forums. Only my idea was that other moves would have the same effects as HMs. (Such as slash doing the same thing as cut, or Brick Break doing the same thing as Rock Smash.) I must say, however, that I really like pirate's idea better...

Regardless, LinkandZelda replied to me saying:

Regarding HMs again, they are HMs for a reason. If those generic moves such as slash can cut trees (which in reality they could) then theres no reason for HMs at all. It's again making it easier.
I think she's trying to keep as much of the feel of the original game as she possibly can. I respect her wishes on that though, if I'm being completely honest, I still don't like HMs very much...

It's a minor point of opinion, though. The game will be great regardless!

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
I made a suggestion somewhat along these lines over at the Pokemon World Forums. Only my idea was that other moves would have the same effects as HMs. (Such as slash doing the same thing as cut, or Brick Break doing the same thing as Rock Smash.) I must say, however, that I really like pirate's idea better...

Regardless, LinkandZelda replied to me saying:

I think she's trying to keep as much of the feel of the original game as she possibly can. I respect her wishes on that though, if I'm being completely honest, I still don't like HMs very much...

It's a minor point of opinion, though. The game will be great regardless!

As much as we like to hear suggestions, the idea goes against what the concept of a remake is. We will not be doing this. If you don't like HM's why do you even play pokémon o_O?

----

Also, regarding tiles guys; I will be doing them, graphics will all be made by me this time to ensure no goofy sprites/ tiles. If you guys actually read/ look at my updates you'd see that. Sorry if I sound harsh, but all the information is given correctly already. I think I've probably repeated things like 20 times now - It gets pretty annoying which is why I rarely post updates here - By all means if you need me or want to talk about Liquid Crystal follow my twitter - I'm less mean there :P.

To clarify: Graphics will not be rips from DPPt - I make great graphics in general, bare with me.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Decided to playthrough Beta 2 again today.
Just curios will the gym tiles be revamped some of the look really ugly and hurt my eyes literally.

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
Years
Hey guys, I'm really excited because my list is growing shorter and shorter every day. I have like 10 things to do on the list before i start the final testing before the release. I split the todo into 2 lists and below is the one of stuff to do before I test. Theres another list of 15-20 items for things to do while testing.

• insert and fix all music
  • add text descriptins for map landmarks
  • do the class split
  • add all new ows, battle and pokemon sprites
  • water animation
  • type master dojo
  • extreme speed drat ini
  • trainers from trainer request
  • map splash pictures
  • sticker girl

As you can see some of those items are longer than others but 10 things? This is amazing I can't believe it's getting closer and closer. I'm just so excited I feel I can have all this done within a day hehe, but sadly that can't be done xD.

This is also the time to ask if i fixed something or not that you noticed, or to ask if i implemented something I said i was going too in the past. After all it's been 2.5 years since 2.1 was released i'm sure I've missed a few things. Just while typing this I remember an informative post with lots of things I didn't add to the list, so i'll be checking that too.

Link

blue

gucci
Years
It's great to see you working hard every day and I love to see that list getting shorter! I'm sure we're just as excited for you and I certainty cant wait for the release, good luck with everything and kudos for all your hard work.
It will all pay off and the Beta 3.1 will be a huge hit!

Back