• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Team build for Soul Silver

Years
I just recently found a copy of one of my favorite pokemon games, Soul Silver. I spent days soft resetting for a shiny starter, and got a pretty good Totodile!
I had built my ideal team around the hopes of getting a shiny Cyndaquil.
Now I'm just past gym 3, with Croconaw, Flaafy, Togepi, and Sandshrew on my team.
I need the last 2 slots filled but I am having the hardest time deciding what 2 pokemon I should go with to complete my team.

Any suggestions?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I just recently found a copy of one of my favorite pokemon games, Soul Silver. I spent days soft resetting for a shiny starter, and got a pretty good Totodile!
I had built my ideal team around the hopes of getting a shiny Cyndaquil.
Now I'm just past gym 3, with Croconaw, Flaafy, Togepi, and Sandshrew on my team.
I need the last 2 slots filled but I am having the hardest time deciding what 2 pokemon I should go with to complete my team.

Any suggestions?

Well your team fully evolved will be Feraligatr, Ampharos, Togekiss and Sandslash. Hence a Water, Electric, Normal/Flying(Fairy/Flying in Gen 6) and Ground. The final five Gym's are Ghost, Fighting, Steel, Ice and Dragon with Elite 4 being Psychic, Poison, Fighting and Dark. Every Pokemon of Lance's is part Flying Type(with them being Rock, Fire or Dragon as other typing in initial run. Rematch is a bit harder).

Based on what you have, you'll need a Pokemon to kick Pryce's butt without getting slammed in return. Feraligatr resists Ice but the ideal pick here is Fighting or Steel since two of his Pokemon happen to be Water Types(hence going with Fire would be unwise). Of those two, I'd do Steel(like Scizor) since its immune to Poison while resisting everything in the Elite 4 but Bruno's Fighting Types. Just be wary of Pryce's Piloswine/Mamoswine and Ground Type moves and opponents with Fire Types.

I assume Feraligatr knows Ice moves, otherwise I'd consider swapping Sandslash for Mamoswine. Maintain the Ground typing for Electric Types while gaining Ice STAB(which is x4 on Lance's Dragons). With Psychic covered by Scizor(Bug), the other typing I'd consider is a Fire/Dark Type in Houndoom. Gives extra coverage on Psychic while covering Ghost, Steel and Pokemon who have levitate ability(where Sandslash can't cut them down with Ground moves).

Ironically enough, just about every Gym Leader in Johto counters the next one in the list(exception being Bug over Normal). Namely Flying > Bug, Normal > Ghost, Ghost > FIghting, Fighting > Steel, Steel > Ice and Ice > Dragon. I'd try and get a Steel Type due to their defensive resistance to so many types(while crushing Ice) and then w/e you want. Dark, Fire, Ice or Dragon are options.

Last edited:

ChaddyCFC

Veteran PokéNerd
Years
I always prefer to start with Cyundaquil, as I can get a Wooper and later Quagsire to cover water and ground types. He's basically a not as good version of Swampert - my favourite final evolution of a starter.

Back