• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 4] Radboy's Evolved Monotype Challenge - Electric

Years
Radboy's Evolved Monotype Challenge
Where it is proved I cannot graphically design or grind to save my life. Thanks Underline feature.

Recently, I have attempted and mostly completed a Fairy Run of Omega Ruby, and thought it would be a bit more of a challenge due to only having four team members, but due to access to everything I needed otherwise, I actually found it to be mostly a cakewalk once I assembled my core team even though I have yet to complete the game. So I decided to form a bunch of extra rules that limits my options. My first game may not be the best region to show off the first, and my personally main, rule, but I still will be enforced by it.

Rules:
All Monotype Rules found here will apply.

1. The number of team members allowed depends on how many Gym Badges you have OR on how many Kahunas you have defeated, with these being my personal guidelines.
From Start of Game - 2 Members
After 2nd Badge/Defeating Hala - 3 Members
After 4th Badge/Defeating Olivia - 4 Members
After 6th Badge/Defeating Nanu - 5 Members
There is a five team member limit after the 6th Badge/Nanu that goes all the way until the Champion is defeated.

2. Certain TMs are banned. For me, due the the electric run, the banned TMs are Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, and Thunder. I am also considering banning Volt Switch for the more modern games. The moves are legal if gotten through level up or the move reminder.

3. Pokemon with a BST of 550 are banned. This is *almost* all of the legendary Pokemon, Pseudo-Legends, and Arcanine and Archeops for those runs.

4. First Catch Rule, where the first pokemon of a species I catch is the one I must use, regardless of ability, nature, etc.

~ Might add more in the future.

I won't have a story to follow, at least for the first game, as it would be an edgy and humorless tale. And not in a good way.

First Game?
Pokemon Soulsilver
because I don't have OG silver.

Last edited:
Years
Electric Run #1 - Soulsilver
New Bark Town -> Azalea Town

The Mystery Egg:
I booted up Soulsilver, and chose the male character and gave him my real name. I then went to the lab and was told of this mysterious egg by Prof. Elm. Lazybones couldn't leave his lab for one second, so he gives me a Pokemon. I chose Totodile, giving my rival Chikorita, the only of the 3 starters that resists electric. I then go on my mer- false. Time to get essentially what is an iPhone (or whatever you prefer), and get phone numbers. THEN I leave to go to the house of the man with the Egg. But first, Cherrygrove city. A Guide that enjoys running shows me the main buildings for any Pokemon Trainer, and then an ocean. He then... gave me new shoes and physically downloads the Maps app. Onwards to Route 30. I get the egg and meet famous people. Free Pokedex. And now was just robbed or something, so I head back. Red hair guy stops me and makes me battle him. He then drops his trainer card. I head back to the lab, and give the information to the cop, who almosts arrests me in from of Elm, doing nothing. The guy's name was Guacamole, but I called him Guac. His parents must hate him if he is named after a food. I give over the egg, and head out.

The Events at Violet City:
Route 30 is still a basic place. It is lined with trainers, but I evade most of their glares as I head to Route 31. There, I pick up my first team member, Marie the Mareep. Marie is actually a male, but I needed the good Nursery Rhyme reference and the below average Splatoon reference. I then go back to Route 30 and battle all the trainers I skipped. I then go to Sprout Tower, the place for new up and coming trainers. Marie shocks the tower's trainers mentally, and after learning Thundershock, physically as well. On the top is Guac, who insults me and then leaves. Guess he isn't the best sport in the world. I then beat the Elder, get Flash, and leave. I then head to the Violet Gym, and face off against the Gym Leader Falkner.

Gym Battle #1: Vs. Falkner
It was all over as I hit the field running. Marie OHKOed his Pidgey, and then used Thunder Wave on the Pidgeotto. This let me outspeed it, where it couldn't use Roost to heal AND resist my attacks. It was 2HKOed by Thundershock. After the battle, Marie evolved into a Flaaffy.

Route 32 and the return of Team Rocket
I now truly begin my trek of Route 32, and it will be a place I will return to for grinding later. This place begins using multiple Ground types that pose trouble, with the root of the issue being Geodude. Resisting Tackle and being immune to Thundershock and Thunder Wave don't help me. Onix isn't as much of an issue. Thankfully, most trainers in Route 32 and the Union Cave fell easily, getting OHKOed. Marie is overleveled for the area, and is already on par with the ace of Bugsy. I approach Azalea to see a man get hit by another man in black, talking about the return of Team Rocket. I heard a rumor that Kurt could do something, so I go talk to him. He chases the man from his place, and opens up Slowpoke well. I go in, beat up Team Rocket, and their executive, Proton. I then head to the town's gym, and challenge it's leader.

Gym Battle #2: Vs. Bugsy
First attempt was a loss. Marie was level 20, and was KOed by a -2 defense with a Crit Quick attack.
Second attempt, I didn't paralyze Scyther to get rid of it's Sitrus Berry. On the second Thundershock, it lived on a sliver of health, but it got paralyzed by the attack. Bugsy then healed it, and I got it down to about half. It then was affected by Paralysis, and a second attack fainted it. Scyther was the huge problem in the gym, and the Metapod and Kakuna were easy to KO.

A battle to dip into...:
One last battle stood between me and Ilex woods. Guac. His Gastly and Zubat were easily defeated. The Bayleef however was an issue. It could poison me, heal, increase it's defense, and had a high crit attack. My magic number was 29 for the fight. When my HP hit that or anything under that, I healed to stay safe. Luckily, his Bayleef wasted it's healing options, and I abused that to PP stall, and then slowly take out his Bayleef.

Next Time... A Bigger Team, a Bigger Dream

The Team So Far:

Marie the Male Flaaffy

Level 22
Nature - Lonely
No Item
Tackle
Cotton Spore
Thunder Shock
Thunder Wave

Real Talk Section:
imo, I feel like that I terribly explained Rule #2 and I'm also editing it. I cannot use the TMs for Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, and Thunder, but if a Pokemon learns it through level-up, it's OK.
I found the gameplay very easy until Bugsy, and Marie is VERY overleveled, to the point where I don't really need to grind for Whitney, but I am still nervous for the fight itself, as it is a Solo Run at that point.
Also, I managed to beat Bugsy in under 2 hours of total gameplay, which I thought was neat.
I think I will only beat Johto with four member team, and pick up a fifth for Kanto.
I have no plan of using Jolteon.

Last edited:
Years
Electric Run #2 - Soulsilver
Ilex Forest > Ecruteak City

No Beef, Just Side Salad:
I started my way after closely beating Guac, I was on my way through Ilex Forest. I help the kid find the two Farfetch'd he lost. I then managed to chop some trees, and taught Marie Headbutt. I then walked through Route 34, avoiding the eyes of trainers. I got the Radio Card, and then headed over to Whitney's gym. I beat all the trainers, and attempted a battle.

Gym Battle #3: Vs. Whitney
While I managed to power past her Clefairy, but the Miltank shoved me out back to the curb.
I recollected myself and decided to by X items, being X Speed, X Defense, and X Sp. Attack. I head back to the gym, and slowly set up on the Clefairy. The Miltank then was obliterated by a Crit +2 (I think) Thundershock.

The Beauty and the Second Beauty:
New routes and locations await! After collecting the Squirtbottle, I rush to Route 35. I avoid trainers for future leveling of the new teammates, and to get said teammates quicker. However, I do need to face some trainers, and this includes a camper & picnicker, a psychic, the Sudowoodo, and two Beauties. The picnicker, psychic, and Sudowoodo were simple, and the Camper had a couple of digletts, but didn't threaten me. The two beauties needed to be battled back to back on Route 36, and both have fully evolved teams, and can put your team to sleep. Thankfully, their Wigglytuff + Clefable double team wasn't enough to beat Marie, and I head to Ecruteak.

Coming Together:
After I arrive at Ecruteak, I leave it for Route 38 and a new teammate! Welcome Tartar the Magnemite to the team! But I'm not done yet. I go down to Olivine to get the Good Rod. Guac left the Olivine Gym, and seemed to go north. I go find the man with the Good Rod, and now it is time to run over the entire region, back home to New Bark. I then do some fishing, and catch Callie the Chinchou. Callie is actually a female. Also, Tartar and Callie both have Jolly natures, but also Volt Absorb... Anyways, I then go back to all the places I haven't trained yet (except Route 32) and beat all of the trainers there. I then also beat a couple of Pokeathons for fun.

Haunted:
I beat the Rocket Grunt in the Ecruteak theater, and got Surf. I taught it to Callie, and then headed to the Burned Tower. I fight Guac, and the fight was much easier then when I fought him in Ecruteak. His Magnemite and Bayleef still gave some trouble. I then see the Legendary Dogs, and then beat the firebreathers in the building. I then head to the Gym and challenge Morty

Gym Battle #4: Vs. Morty
He wasn't too bad. I completed this segment the day after the previous post, so I don't have the greatest memory of it, but I beat him without too much difficulty, but he did faint Tartar and brought Callie and Marie to mid-range HP. I got the Fog Badge, and now it is on to see the sea!

Next Time... Welcome to Boom Town

The Team So Far:

Marie the Male Flaaffy

Level 28
Ability - Static
Nature - Lonely
No Item
Headbutt
Cotton Spore
Thunder Shock
Charge

Tartar the Genderless Magnemite

Level 24
Ability - Magnet Pull
Jolly Nature
No Item
Spark
Thunder Shock
Thunder Wave
Sonicboom

Callie the Female Chinchou

Level 25
Ability - Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
Holding Magnet
Flail
Surf
Confuse Ray
Spark

Real Talk Section:
The playthrough is going smooth. Due to other games, I wasn't focusing on this, rather keeping it in the back of my mind. I also go back to school on August 16th.
I noticed that I used Route 31 instead of Route 32 for a big portion of the previous post. I'm also adding more detail to the Pokemon bios, namely adding abilities
I might ban X Items because of Whitney. If you set up the right items first, setting up is way easier.

Last edited:
Years
Electric Run #3 - Soulsilver
Route 42 > Olivine City

Blasting Off:
I decided I wanted the most complicated way available to be the way I get my new teammate, and my last teammate in Johto. I headed west through Route 42 to Mahogany Town, and then headed North to the Lake of Rage. I beat the Red Gyarados for the sweet EXP, and was told to meet back at a weird shop by some guy in a cape. For a guy with spiky red hair, he doesn't seem like an edgelord, yet. We bust into a shop, and it turns out a whole base is just under it. And with it, I now have Tentakook the Voltorb. I peace out of the base. Have fun, red hair man.

Free Vacation:
After getting Tentakook, I am off to Olivine. Routes 38 and 39 were not that difficult and I continued onward. I then decide to head to the lighthouse due to reports of the pokemon that lights it having fallen ill. I climb the lighthouse, and while I am doing this, Callie evolves into Lanturn! Also, why are so many people in the lighthouse bird keepers. Height? Then why do they chill in these small cramped rooms with tiny windows. At the top, I meet the city's gym leader, and I'm told to go overseas to get the SecretMedicine. On Route 40, Marie evolved into Ampharos, and not much later on Route 41, both Tentakook evolved into Electrode and Tartar evolved into Magneton. I then hit the shores of Cianwood, and... *I actually think I forgot to battle Eusine*. I then head into the pharmacy to get the medicine. Cianwood also had a gym, so I decided to take it on, so I had Callie take care of the trainers, but for the leader himself...

Gym Battle 5: Vs. Chuck
Chuck could have been much more difficult. His Primeape had 3 Double Teams set up against Callie, but due to me spamming surf, he... switched into his Poliwrath with Water Absorb. This was fine by me, a Poliwrath like that could have actually swept me, with a Double Team + Focus Punch combo. I made a risky switch into Marie, and then was able to sweep him from there.

Dancing on the Edge:
After delivering Jasmine the medicine, I get a message that said the Safari Zone was open, and the entrance was through Cianwood City. I head back over, and began my adventure. Some trainers were sprinkled throughout, but they were nothing I couldn't handle. I did a small amount of grinding and then headed back to Olivine.

Gym Battle 6: Vs. Jasmine
Magnemite. The one thing that truly scared me for this was Magnemite. Thankfully it's low base HP was exploitable, but the first one gave Tartar trouble. I switched Callie in for the second one, and it was dispatched much easier. Her Steelix didn't stand much of a chance after the Magnemites fell.

Next Time... Storming the Tower

The Team So Far:

Marie the Male Ampharos

Level 32
Ability - Static
Nature - Lonely
Holding Magnet
Headbutt
Cotton Spore
Thunder Punch
Charge

Tartar the Genderless Magneton