• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon/Digimon Discussion Thread

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
Years
People say that digimon is a ripoff of Pokémon

Is that true or not because some people say that the only similarity between the two is name.

Some people also say Pokémon stole mega evolution from digimon and that the gen 5 Pokémon Designs look a lot like digimon.

So is it a ripoff or not

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Simply put, it isn't. The only similarity is the fact that they are both franchises where people raise cartoonish monsters that battle against other cartoonish monsters.

Truth betold, Digimon and Pokemon actually started out pretty independently, without one taking notes from the other. Digimon started out as a Tamagotchi-style toy called Digimon Virtual Pet, unlike Pokemon which went right in with video games. As for Digimon itself, it's a franchise where the monsters inhabit their own digital world, while in Pokemon the monsters are just there in the main world and people coexist with them. There's also no "gotta catch 'em all" concept with Digimon either - once you get a Digimon, that's it. You only get one. There's probably more, but that's all I can think of because I don't really follow Digimon.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Well if you think that Digimon rippoffs Pokemon and vice versa then Pokemon was first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgpkj0Z9Tkg

Unless you're some kind of "uber pokemon hater" and think Digimon aired first like those idiots here https://nonsensopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Digimon

Otherwise you could say Digimon is to Pokemon what Naruto is to Dragon Ball - an alt universe sequel

Anyway while both JAPANESE THEMES of Pokemon and Digimon are awesome, the american version of Digimon makes American GT's theme song superior

And yeah german people uses Pokemon american theme as base, while for Digimon they use the japanese one? Weeeeeird. "Hitler kids" probably thought the yankies version of Digimon is weird, so they dubbed the japanese song and BGM

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Both of them are good in their own rights. If anything I like Pokemon more simply because it's more out there these days while Digimon, as mentioned before, has fallen from the popular grace it had next to Pokemon in the 90s.

Pokedigifan1178

Years
Both of them are good in their own rights. If anything I like Pokemon more simply because it's more out there these days while Digimon, as mentioned before, has fallen from the popular grace it had next to Pokemon in the 90s.

Not really because digimon is going to be on a Nintendo switch game.

As well as cyber sleuth being a popular success.

So it is still a successful company

Plus Bandai, the company that owns digimon, is part of namco.

Who knows they might digimon to smash bros as well.

Digimon started out as tamagotchi which is technically a game.

And because namco added Pac-Man to smash bros.

I don't see why they wouldn't add digimon to the game.

Last edited:

Pokedigifan1178

Years
Screwattack death battle. Pokémon vs digimon episode.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcz2vHLqtNw&vl=en

Does anyone remember this video.

Seriously the comment section of this video really makes me sick.

I can't believe most Pokémon fans just cannot accept that wargreymon is stronger than most digimon.

I just want to know what your opinion is of this death battle episode.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm not saying Digimon isnt successful. I'm fully aware of cyber sleuth (i have the game) and such. But you don't hear about Digimon as much as you do Pokemon. At this point comparing Digimon to Pokemon is like comparing apples to oranges imo so.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcz2vHLqtNw&vl=en

Does anyone remember this video.

Seriously the comment section of this video really makes me sick.

I can't believe most Pokémon fans just cannot accept that wargreymon is stronger than most digimon.

I just want to know what your opinion is of this death battle episode.

Screw attack being freaks by DB fans is correct, Charizard got owned by a freaking Pokemon rippoff? b*tch please

Pokedigifan1178

Years
Screw attack being freaks by DB fans is correct, Charizard got owned by a freaking Pokemon rippoff? b*tch please

Only thing similar between Pokémon and digimon is name.

They are completely different.

One is about saving the world the other is about capturing animals.

Saying digimon is a ripoff is like saying Spider-Man is a ripoff of Batman because they are both super heroes.

Plus Pokémon stole the mega evolution idea from digimon.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Only thing similar between Pokémon and digimon is name.

They are completely different.

Saying digimon is a ripoff is like saying Spider-Man is a ripoff of Batman because they are both super heroes.

Plus Pokémon stole the mega evolution idea from digimon.

1.Looks very similar to me, it's POcKEt MONsters vs DIGItal MONsters
2.But mr. Peter never lost his parents, he lost only his uncle, and Batman has no special powers, nor Spiderman has an animal companion
3.Yeah but Pokemon was first :3 So they have the rights to do that

Pokedigifan1178

Years
1.Looks very similar to me, it's POcKEt MONsters vs DIGItal MONsters
2.But mr. Peter never lost his parents, he lost only his uncle, and Batman has no special powers, nor Spiderman has an animal companion
3.Yeah but Pokemon was first :3 So they have the rights to do that

1. Fine with that, thats your opinion.

2. No because they are both super heroes. Digimon and Pokémon are both monsters. Its basically saying their ripoffs because they are both super heroes.

3. Pokémon never came with mega evolution first. Digimon came up with it first. Pokémon was first created but they didn't come up with mega evolution first.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
there are plenty of franchises with temporary power boosts and there will be plenty more in the future. you can't say that pokemon specifically ripped if off of digimon. besides they're still fairly different (pokemon's is only from the final state for one).

Years
Honestly I haven't heard people debating on which one is better since I was little which was WELL over 15 years ago. I don't really think it's as much of a heated topic as it was in years past when there were an abundance of Digimon cards, the World games for the PlayStation, the digivices/D-Terminal gigapets...so on and so forth.

Ys

Wandering Spirit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
I think both are different. Similar basic concept but executed differently.

Personally, I prefer Digimon, but Pokémon is more well-known. I like how the Digimon anime has small stories and different characters on each season. Also, how Digimon don't evolve by experience but by strengths and bond with a human. I also like the concept of the games. Pokémon games and the anime is too repetitive and linear. Though I do like the spinoff Pokémon games like Pokémon XD.

Back