• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

why haven't you finished your ROM hack?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 20, 2021
I honestly feel like this could and should be pinned, since this is something that I feel all Poke-ROM hackers should see. This is very pertinent and relevant to the current ROM-hacking culture, I'd say.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
Because of lack of time.
I started back on 2010 when I was 16. Now I'm 24 and I've started and cancelled many projects. My current project started 4 years ago and only has 1 beta. In those 4 years I've get married and completed college studies. Now with a 9-hour job is difficult to hack like when I was 17. I haven't quit cuz I really fckng love my project and this hobby.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Lost interesents, but i do replaced level 3-5 Eeveelutions with Eevees and fixed the road to Kanto from new bark town BEFORE getting a pokemon

I shall return once i learn how to switch pokemon with new eeveelutions

R.Salas

Rohan Salas
Years
Because of lack of time.
I started back on 2010 when I was 16. Now I'm 24 and I've started and cancelled many projects. My current project started 4 years ago and only has 1 beta. In those 4 years I've get married and completed college studies. Now with a 9-hour job is difficult to hack like when I was 17. I haven't quit cuz I really fckng love my project and this hobby.

That's so true. I Started my project of doing a Pokemon game 4 years ago and only now I'm about to finish it. Although there are some errors, which I will fix with time, what makes so difficult is the lack of time. I usually work a lot during my vacations, but when they are over and I must return to my daily routine it is so difficult to keep working on the game. Creating a game is a bit stressful sometimes.

Years
In my case it's mostly college as well as a lack of time and energy. Some are probably considering CE dead at this point, but it's only been on hiatus. Going to keep at it until it's finished entirely.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I've "finished" my personal project so many times that nobody believes me anymore if I say it's done.

Like it's technically finished in the sense that it's a full game that functions (aside from the odd glitch here and there) and it's been that way since 2014.

I started at the end of 9th grade in 2013, and had the first "finished" game in 2014.

But then I decided that I could polish it a little, so I went back and added some things, tweaked others, etc.

Then I had a new "finished" game.

Until I decided that I could add a few more things, polish others, etc.

And then I had a new "finished" game.

You know the drill by now lol.

So my own perfectionism is stopping me from "finishing" my game.

That and school. College is busy.

Years
  • Age 119
  • Seen Oct 30, 2019
It's just not worth the time. If you start from 0, learn programming, spriting, animating etc, you will surpass the progress of a rom hack after two or three months. On Rom Hacks, you have to learn programming anyways, ASM, a lot of weird shit and you are still limited on all sides. (It's all depending on what your goal is ofc.)

Years
Lack of time. Not to mention a slight fear of getting taken down by Nintendo before anyone's had a chance to play a game. I do still work on mine, but at this rate it'll be a very long time until I'm finished.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2019
I'm not good at making Fakemons or official mon sprites. I'm also not great at hex editing or altering maps and areas too well......

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2019
Lack of time. Not to mention a slight fear of getting taken down by Nintendo before anyone's had a chance to play a game. I do still work on mine, but at this rate it'll be a very long time until I'm finished.

Same other reasons as to why I haven't completed any Pokemon ROM hack myself.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
i just finished my rom hack. this thread is kinda dumb so im posting here to join in on the dumb. but i really did just finish so

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Time's the biggest factor for me. Well, that and a serious case of neglect due to my ever-increasing game backlog. It's admittedly been a few years since I last touched mine (seriously, it's been like 2-3), but I've recently started to get back into the swing of things after opening up AdvanceMap last week. However, my mindset when it comes to certain things in romhacks has changed a bit over the years, and some changes will have to be made in it. I've put so much work into it already, so I really do want to see it through to the end.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 29, 2021
Because I'm a noob with too many questions and doing my first hack.
It's a yellow, and I changed the original idea for a more 'doable' one.
Yet, I can't find info on some things, like, there are many 'missingno' slots on the rom.
Can they be used to add new pokémon? Like crobat, steelix, etc.
I know new typings can be made, because there are 20 'type values' and only 16 are used.
One of them is Bird, by the way.

Back