• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon Zero [v0.13.1 alpha] - FRLG enhanced remake

Years
sweet, nice update for the game. Hows the sevii islands quest working out at the moment?

It's next up on the content I'd like to include. Real life calls so I can't give a precise date, but it's in the works.

Hey, I've been already on my way to Cinnabar Island and the game is really well done! I like that you keep HMs Fly and Surf (But as TMs now), as those moves are really useful for Water and Flying type Pokemon respectively. I also keep noticing that in the Regional Map, the path to Johto and Mt. Silver is present, so are you planning to add Johto as post-game alongside the Sevii Islands 4-7 in a future update or in the complete version?

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. The TMs are just the Sun/Moon TMs, so Surf, Fly and Waterfall are in there. All other previous Generation TMs and HMs are available from various Move Tutors dotted around the major cities however!

It's on my to-do list to remove Johto from the region map to avoid confusion; I just prefer the HGSS map style. As much as I'd love to include Johto, Kanto took me long enough to make! Never say never, but I've got no plans for Johto at the moment.

Sorry for the multi-posts but I have an interesting idea that could be cool in future updates with regards to battle mechanics. Namely some of the less-used and useless special abilities. I suggested this to a few other game makers in the past, one or two actually considered it if I recall rightly. My suggestion is reworking them so they have a new effect either in place of the actual existing effect or to work alongside it (sort of like how Flame Body can help hatch eggs faster when its main use is to cause a status condition on opponents).

1: Run Away - Long known to be the most useless ability in competitive play, Run Away could benefit from having a side effect which allows the user to switch out from Mean Look/ Spider Web/Wrap/Bind/Shadow Tag.

2: Magma Armor - Most that use this ability cant be frozen anyway, so preventing freeze only works if you employ skill swap/role play in a double battle. The main use it has is of course hatching eggs so that should be left alone but due to the nature of lava and how hot it is, a helpful immunity to water would be a nice change. Heck Magcargo in particular has a body temperature that exceeds even the sun according to the pokedex, so logically water shouldnt even touch it due to the heat it radiates. Not many pokemon have Magma Armor as an ability so its not likely to be too overpowered considering.

3: Big Pecks - Not losing defense is great on paper but its sorta flawed in the end. Considering it's japanese name is Pigeon Heart I expected some benefit to flying moves originally. What I envision is pokemon with Big Pecks would get a 0.50 percent boost to flying type attacks, sorta like how Strong Jaw on Tyrantrum gives more power to biting moves. On a lower tier flying type such as Pidgeot, more power to flying attacks would benefit it a huge deal (and it having Big Pecks as a hidden ability wont be too big a deal). This idea is inspired mainly die to the amount of strength a Pidgeot's wing muscles must have to achieve mach 2 speed in the pokedex, especially since Pokemon Stadium 2 details that once its wings are heard, it's long gone before you can look up to see it.

thats all I can think of for now but hope it inspires some ideas

No problem about the multi-posts as long as the mods are fine with it. While they are cool ideas and I agree that those abilities could use a buff, I'm sticking to the official Generation 7 mechanics for moves and abilities as closely as possible. At least until Generation 8 rolls around!

Years
I've got some bugs to report:
You can not use Fly on Lavender Town and Route 10
Fuchsia City's Pokemon Center does not play the Pokemon Center music. There is no music at all.

Also, why does Power Plant use the town theme? It could just use the Dark Cave/Ice Path music just like all the other Caves/Dungeons in the game.

EDIT: Found another bug: If you refuse to go with Bill to One Island after getting out of the Cinnabar Gym and then talk to him again in the Pokemon Center in the Cinnabar Island, if Bill and the Player steps out of the Pokemon Center, it results in a black screen with Cinnabar Island's theme playing in the background.

Last edited:
Years
I've got some bugs to report:
You can not use Fly on Lavender Town and Route 10
Fuchsia City's Pokemon Center does not play the Pokemon Center music. There is no music at all.

Also, why does Power Plant use the town theme? It could just use the Dark Cave/Ice Path music just like all the other Caves/Dungeons in the game.

EDIT: Found another bug: If you refuse to go with Bill to One Island after getting out of the Cinnabar Gym and then talk to him again in the Pokemon Center in the Cinnabar Island, if Bill and the Player steps out of the Pokemon Center, it results in a black screen with Cinnabar Island's theme playing in the background.

Nicely spotted. These should now be fixed as of v0.2.1. Thanks for playing!

Years
I've been asked by a developer how I implemented the Generation VII mechanic of calculating turn order AFTER a Pok?mon Mega Evolves. I'll not go into too much detail, but suffice it to say, for the pbAttackPhase method in the PokeBattle_Battle class, I've modified the first few lines to affect turn order as shown below. Please bear in mind for all who use this that this is for Essentials 17.1 and untested elsewhere; please refrain from asking me to adapt it for other versions or help you debug why it isn't working. I have my own project to look after as well as other responsibilities!

Code:
  def pbAttackPhase
    @scene.pbBeginAttackPhase
    for i in 0...4
      @successStates[i].clear
      if @choices[i][0]!=1 && @choices[i][0]!=2
        @battlers[i].effects[PBEffects::DestinyBond]=false
        @battlers[i].effects[PBEffects::Grudge]=false
      end
      @battlers[i].turncount+=1 if !@battlers[i].isFainted?
      @battlers[i].effects[PBEffects::Rage]=false if !pbChoseMove?(i,:RAGE)
    end
    [COLOR="Red"]### Changes/reordering from here[/COLOR]
    megaevolved=[]
    for i in 0...4
      if @choices[i][0]==1 && !(@battlers[i]).effects[PBEffects::SkipTurn]
        side=(pbIsOpposing?(i)) ? 1 : 0
        owner=pbGetOwnerIndex(i)
        if @megaEvolution[side][owner]==i
          pbMegaEvolve(i)
          megaevolved.push(i)
        end
      end
    end
    if megaevolved.length>0
      for i in 0...4
        @battlers[i].pbAbilitiesOnSwitchIn(true) if megaevolved.include?(i)
      end
    end
    # Calculate priority at this time
    @usepriority=false
    priority=pbPriority(false,true)
    # Call at Pok?mon
    for i in priority
      if @choices[i.index][0]==4 && !i.effects[PBEffects::SkipTurn]
        pbCall(i.index)
      end
    end
    [COLOR="red"]### Changes end here[/COLOR]
    # Switch out Pok?mon
    @switching=true
    switched=[]

Hopefully this helps some of you.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
just curious, what is the complete move tutor list as of the current build of this game? It would help with planning out wht pokemon to catch for my team as Im having some slight issues right now due to the massive buff Misty's team has due to Scald

Years
just curious, what is the complete move tutor list as of the current build of this game? It would help with planning out wht pokemon to catch for my team as Im having some slight issues right now due to the massive buff Misty's team has due to Scald

I've written up a list of locations for TMs and Move Tutors which should help:
https://pastebin.com/TRFKU9Vd

Also note that you can progress in the story and come back to Misty later if you prefer. In future updates I plan to have Gym Leaders scale in level depending on the number of badges you have.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
ah I see thats cool.

EDIT: Tri Attack is listed twice on that list, you may wanna check the game to see if you hadnt done that too.

Also are there any ability capsules in this?

Last edited:
Years
Found some bugs again:

Fletchinder does not evolve into Talonflame.
Evolving Sliggoo results in a crash.
Mt. Ember plays the city theme instead of the Cave/Dungeon theme.

Last edited:
Years
ah I see thats cool.

EDIT: Tri Attack is listed twice on that list, you may wanna check the game to see if you hadnt done that too.

Also are there any ability capsules in this?

I've cleared up the list - thankfully there were no issues with the game.

There are no Ability Capsules so far. They'll be prizes when the Battle Tower content is released.

I've also nerfed Misty slightly - I agree with you that Scald was too much. When future patches start to have Badge-scaling Gym Leaders, I'll have her use Scald at higher levels ;)
Found some bugs again:

Fletchinder does not evolve into Talonflame.
Evolving Sliggoo results in a crash.
Mt. Ember plays the city theme instead of the Cave/Dungeon theme.

Thanks again for reporting these. These are now fixed as of v0.2.2. Don't be shy in reporting bugs everyone!

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
My game now refuses to open, I dont know why...

Also even in the first version I had this annoying error where when loading up the game it says theres a file that appears to be a duplicate which I dont get. I cant describe what this is

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
My game now refuses to open, I dont know why...

Also even in the first version I had this annoying error where when loading up the game it says theres a file that appears to be a duplicate which I dont get. I cant describe what this is

I have still the same problem. I cound't find a way to fix it :(

Years
I'll try to take a look at these issues but I'm not sure how much use it'll be. If either of you have any error messages, could you send them my way? Private message is fine. They'll either be in C:Users/(your PC username)/Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt, or in the same location as your Game.exe file.

If you have time, could you also let me know if the base 17.1 Essentials project works for you, and what operating system you're using? If it's not Windows of some form then my help will be very limited.

Looneyman1, what was the last version that worked for you, and does it still work if you open the game in that version?

Edit: From what's been said in the past, the duplicate files are in the Graphics/Animations folder. These should be safe to delete if they're causing issues.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'll try to take a look at these issues but I'm not sure how much use it'll be. If either of you have any error messages, could you send them my way? Private message is fine. They'll either be in C:Users/(your PC username)/Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt, or in the same location as your Game.exe file.

If you have time, could you also let me know if the base 17.1 Essentials project works for you, and what operating system you're using? If it's not Windows of some form then my help will be very limited.

Looneyman1, what was the last version that worked for you, and does it still work if you open the game in that version?

Edit: From what's been said in the past, the duplicate files are in the Graphics/Animations folder. These should be safe to delete if they're causing issues.

the last version worked fine yesterday but late last night it wouldnt work at all. The recent windows 10 update shouldnt have had any effect on the sort of file the game is, thats the only thing that recently changed but logically it shouldnt do anything to prevent a game from working. I updated the game and it still wont work.

MAJOR BREAK: I somehow fixed the issue of th egame not opening. That duplicated file was actually causing all the trouble. Delete the animation called "trov" and it appeared to fix me up just fine.

....On second thought nevermind. The game opens just fine and everything but when I catch a pokemon it somehow copies my pokemon upon capture. It doesnt appear to affect anything but it kinda does annoy me a bit

Last edited:
Years
the last version worked fine yesterday but late last night it wouldnt work at all. The recent windows 10 update shouldnt have had any effect on the sort of file the game is, thats the only thing that recently changed but logically it shouldnt do anything to prevent a game from working. I updated the game and it still wont work.

MAJOR BREAK: I somehow fixed the issue of th egame not opening. That duplicated file was actually causing all the trouble. Delete the animation called "trov" and it appeared to fix me up just fine.

....On second thought nevermind. The game opens just fine and everything but when I catch a pokemon it somehow copies my pokemon upon capture. It doesnt appear to affect anything but it kinda does annoy me a bit

That's good to hear. I'll get rid of those files in the next update.

I'll take a look later, but what do you mean by "it copies my Pokemon upon capture"? Are you saying you get duplicates in your PC or party at all?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
in my party yeah, fortunately its only one clone, but its odd

Years
in my party yeah, fortunately its only one clone, but its odd

Okay, thanks for reporting it. I added some functionality in v0.2.2 to allow swapping out party members on capture, but it sounds like I've introduced a bug. I should hopefully get a fix out for this later.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
if it helps it seems gift pokemon are immune to the odd dupe bug, I tested it over and over on the magikarp from the Mt. Moon pokemon center to get a jolly magikarp with good IVs, and not once was it duplicated.

Years
if it helps it seems gift pokemon are immune to the odd dupe bug, I tested it over and over on the magikarp from the Mt. Moon pokemon center to get a jolly magikarp with good IVs, and not once was it duplicated.

I've updated the game to v0.2.3 which should fix this issue and remove those troublesome animation files. Thanks for letting me know about this, and I hope you continue to enjoy the game.

I have still the same problem. I cound't find a way to fix it :(

Perhaps you could try v0.2.3. I've removed the files that caused issues for looneyman1, so hopefully it'll be fixed for you as well.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
you're a champ for going through this to fix this on short notice, but for some reason the game wont open again. I checked the files for those "trov" files and they arent there as you said, so I think something else is causing the game to refuse to open when I hit the .exe file..

EDIT: I tried extracting the game files into a new folder and the game works now. You may need to update the post to include that in the instructions

Last edited:
Back