• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New member with new hack idea. Pokemon Edge of Extinction

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2018
Hey guys. Ive been playing rom hacks for a while and have been toying around with my own idea. Looking for someone to make it or help me make it.
Its a hack of leaf green, set a few years after red and green, but in my hack Red failed to beat giovanni and team rocket have since taken over and ruined Kanto. Pokemon are much harder to find and most of the ones in the wild are deemed "useless" by team rocket. Most good pokemon have been extorted and sold to near extinction. The wild is full of rattata, grimer, koffings, ekans etc. The gym system has been overthrown. The gyms have instead been turned into Rocket bases that must be taken out before the player can go to the old elite four and beat Giovanni and the four rocket brothers once and for all. A few gym leaders, Koga, Blaine and Sabrina have joined forces with the rockets
Professor oak is giving you and your rival your choice of a Growlithe, Shellder, or Exeggcute. The police are corrupted or gone, pokecenters are controlled by team rocket and only useable after the towns Rocket base has been defeated. Items are few and far between. Team rocket has taken over the Pokemarts and charges an arm and a leg for everything. So batte wisely. Game is almost like a nuzlocke because team rocket controls the pokecenters and marts and good pokemon are much more rare
Im not a fan of many newer gen pokemon so im going to keep it to mostly the first 2 gens
Please give me feedback. Ive never hacked a rom before. I just downloaded Advanced map and Advanced starter. But dont know how to change events or script or much of anything really

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
Years
That seems like a good idea. But sadly I'm no developer so I can't help. But other than that I wish you luck cause I love playing Rom hacks. Good luck and hope you get help for this project.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2018
Im thinking I'll maybe have some sidequests to find and hatch pokemon eggs and help oak rebuild pokemon popluations along with defeating team Rocket

Rakugan

Garuka
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 23, 2023
I?ve heard there hasn?t been much research in making a rom hack using LeafGreen, since most people use FireRed

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Honestly man, there are a lot of posts like this on the forum and they rarely work out. The main issue here is that, an individual with capabilities to make the kind of hack your talking about a) already has their own project they're working on or b) aren't going to randomly begin working with an 'ideas man' that has no experience in hacking.

What I'd recommend you do is start learning the basics of hacking yourself in order to help you get a perspective on the level of work required to make a complete hack. Then at that point, if you enjoy putting into practice what you've learned, you should continue to build your skill set and then maybe start creating a hack with some re-evaluated expectations.

Lastly, if you're hacking the gba games, I can't advise enough that you stay away from LeafGreen. Nobody hacks this game and therefore there is almost no compatibility with it for most tools and very little documentation. I would however highly recommend using FireRed or Emerald. Hope this helps you out and you eventually build a great hack!

Years
  • Seen today
Honestly man, there are a lot of posts like this on the forum and they rarely work out. The main issue here is that, an individual with capabilities to make the kind of hack your talking about a) already has their own project they're working on or b) aren't going to randomly begin working with an 'ideas man' that has no experience in hacking.

What I'd recommend you do is start learning the basics of hacking yourself in order to help you get a perspective on the level of work required to make a complete hack. Then at that point, if you enjoy putting into practice what you've learned, you should continue to build your skill set and then maybe start creating a hack with some re-evaluated expectations.

This a thousand times!

Honestly I think that there should be a requirement that if you want to start a thread to recruit people for your project you have to show some significant progress that you've made. The end result is the same either way, nobody helps the people who haven't even begun, but it helps set expectations and we can point at an authoritative "how do I successfully recruit people?" post.

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
Years
While I can't program or hack, I would be more than happy to help with writing the Dialogue, Story and Spellchecking. Probably the only thing I would be able to help with, sorry

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Sooooooooooo there won't be any generation 3-7 pokemon there?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 9, 2022
Hate to break it for you, but I think you shouldn't do a ROM Hack. Try using Pokémon Essentials instead. Kanto Maps are already all there, just need to find them.
As for your ideas of the PokéCenters, it would totally work out with switches only.
Wild Pokémon is also easy to do, you will just need to use the editor. As for the Pokémon just deleted everything else after Gen 2 Pokémon. If you want you can use the coins of the Game Corner and rename them into some 'illegal' currency. Let's say after completing certain things, you are able to find a guy in a cave or forest who sells certain things, but just for that currency.
While the rival idea is a classic part of Pokémon, I don't really see this working in such a scenario. Your rival could rather become someone who helps you to beat Team Rocket. You can team up with him. As you said PokéCenters&PokéMarts are controlled, so it won't make sense to fight your rival, except if he later heals your Pokémon.
I hope you see it as contructive criticism. Good luck

Years
I'm going to school for game development I'll help you it may take awhile but I'll help I just started my schooling not to long ago but in 4 year's I'll have my bachelor's in game development is my major and I'm minoring in graphic design

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
Hey guys. Ive been playing rom hacks for a while and have been toying around with my own idea. Looking for someone to make it or help me make it.
Its a hack of leaf green, set a few years after red and green, but in my hack Red failed to beat giovanni and team rocket have since taken over and ruined Kanto. Pokemon are much harder to find and most of the ones in the wild are deemed "useless" by team rocket. Most good pokemon have been extorted and sold to near extinction. The wild is full of rattata, grimer, koffings, ekans etc. The gym system has been overthrown. The gyms have instead been turned into Rocket bases that must be taken out before the player can go to the old elite four and beat Giovanni and the four rocket brothers once and for all. A few gym leaders, Koga, Blaine and Sabrina have joined forces with the rockets
Professor oak is giving you and your rival your choice of a Growlithe, Shellder, or Exeggcute. The police are corrupted or gone, pokecenters are controlled by team rocket and only useable after the towns Rocket base has been defeated. Items are few and far between. Team rocket has taken over the Pokemarts and charges an arm and a leg for everything. So batte wisely. Game is almost like a nuzlocke because team rocket controls the pokecenters and marts and good pokemon are much more rare
Im not a fan of many newer gen pokemon so im going to keep it to mostly the first 2 gens
Please give me feedback. Ive never hacked a rom before. I just downloaded Advanced map and Advanced starter. But dont know how to change events or script or much of anything really

As previously mentioned, you can use Leaf Green if you want to be unique and stand out. I think Pokémon Advanced Adventure is a Leaf Green hack. 9 times out of 10 it doesn't matter but there are some tools that only work with Fire Red and as mentioned, all the reasearch is done for Fire Red.

Back