• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guide: Pokémon Sword and Shield FAQ and general information

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Pokémon Sword and Shield FAQ and general information

Welcome to the FAQ and general information thread! This will be an ongoing collection of information about the games, with links to Daily guides when made available too. If you have anything you'd like to add, please let me know in this thread!

What are Pokémon Sword and Shield?
Pokémon Sword and Shield are the upcoming generation eight titles for the Nintendo Switch. They are set in the region of Galar, which is loosely based on the United Kingdom.

What is a Pokémon?
Not a Digimon.

When are the games releasing?
Pokémon Sword and Shield are releasing on the 15th November 2019 worldwide.

What's different between the games?
There are two main differences we know about so far. One is version exclusive Pokemon!
Sword:
Zacian (mascot)
Deino
Jangmo-o
Sirfetch'd
Shield:
Zamazenta (mascot)
Larvitar
Goomy
Galarian Ponyta (maybe evolves)

Other version exclusives are yet to be announced.

There's also exclusive (major league) Gym Leaders! Sword has the Fighting-type user Bea, and Shield has the Ghost-type user Allister.

What are the new Pokémon we know about so far?
They are:
  • Grookey
  • Scorbunny
  • Sobble
  • Zacian
  • Zamazenta
  • Wooloo
  • Corviknight
  • Drednaw
  • Gossifleur
  • Eldegoss
  • Yamper
  • Impidimp
  • Duraludon
  • Rolycoly
  • Alcremie
  • Morpeko
  • Cramorant
  • Polteageist
  • Obstagoon [evolution of Galar-Form Linoone!]
  • Sirfetch'd [evolution of Farfetch'd] - Sword Exclusive.
  • An unnamed squirrel/chipmunk Pokemon

There are also Galarian forms:
  • Zigzagoon and Linoone (Dark/Normal types)
  • Weezing (Poison/Fairy type)
  • Galarian Ponyta (Psychic type). Evolution not yet announced.

What Pokémon are in the game so far?
So far we have a list - and analysis - of the Pokemon spotted so far in this Daily article.

What about people?
  • Gym Leaders: Milo, Nessa, Allister (Shield), Bea (Sword)
  • Champion Leon
  • Professor Magnolia
  • Sonia, an assistant to Magnolia
  • Chairman Rose (runs the Gym circuit in Galar)
  • Oleana, an assistant to Rose
  • Rivals: Hop, Bede, and Marnie
  • Team Yell, a fan-club of Marnie that like to, I guess, yell...

What are confirmed features?
  • Dynamax, which replaces Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. This basically allows you to make one Pokémon in your party turn big and stronger for 3 turns.
  • Gigantamaxing, which is a... bigger version of Dynamax. It changes the form and size of the Pokemon, but can only be done for specific specimans of species. So far it can be done for specific Drednaw, Corviknight, and Alcremie mons.
  • Max Raid battles, where you team up with three other players to take down a permantely Dynamax'd boss Pokémon. If you defeat it, you have a chance to catch it and earn other rewards. This can be done in single player mode.
  • There are 5 difficulty settings for Max Raid battles, like in Pokemon GO. You can choose the difficulty.
  • Gym Battles and Gym Leaders return. Battles with Gym Leaders happen in large stadiums.
  • There are 18 Gyms, split between a major and minor league. Which Gym is in which league differs on game version.
  • A Wild Area, where you can see Pokémon roaming the overworld, and you can interact with them.
  • Poké Jobs, where you can send Pokémon from your PC to do jobs for items and EXP. Features Rotom in the PC!
  • Trainer customisation is back.
  • New Abilities and Items added, e.g. Mirror Armor and Eject Pack.
    [*}Pokemon Camp, the new version of Amie and Refresh. It includes the ability to make curry for your Pokemon.
  • Auto-saving is an optional feature.
  • No HMs.
  • Exp. Share is no longer an item, but it is an embedded feature. Unknown if exp for all Pokemon can be turned off.
  • You will be able to make Pokemon competitive-ready easier, e.g. via some way to change Nature.
  • One location is called Glimwood Tangle.

Any additional information?
We have:

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Hey, guys. I'm just wanting to know if you can please list all the fan-favorite Pokémon that are available in Pokémon Sword and Shield, or transferable or untransferable in those games with Pokémon HOME?

define fan favorite in this case

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 17, 2019
If I defeat 500 wild Snorlax, will I have more chance to get a shiny gmax Snorlax in Max Raids? Or it only works with wild pokemon?

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Will this game destroy my Switch if I play it?
I ask this because I think I've been fear mongered, and while I think everything will probably be alright. I just want to know everything's going to be alright.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Will this game destroy my Switch if I play it?
I ask this because I think I've been fear mongered, and while I think everything will probably be alright. I just want to know everything's going to be alright.
The game has sold millions of copies. If the game was dangerous to consoles we'd have heard a lot about it long ago. Please do not ask about unsourced 'fear mongered' concerns you have that have no basis in reality.

Years
Good walkthrough for sword/shield game please? I am outdated and know nothing since ruby/sapphire and emerald generation, show or otherwise..

Years
Okay thanks, I'm going to look for one that I can read and then I'll check out a video. I'm going to look through the competitive section first.

Back