• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

map FF is alive

Years
So I've been working on a ROM hack of Pokemon Blue that opens up the full 256 Pokemon for everyone to see and play with.
However, more on that when I finish it.

One of the things I added was a secret map with a trainer you can fight which has super powerful Pokemon, including glitched ones that are better than Mewtwo with the right moveset. (In terms of how much better, these glitchmons have a BST of about 820 in modern standards)
For testing however, I didn't add the roster yet, especially since I haven't started adding the additional mons.

This secret map, is map 0xFF. Glitch enthusiasts know that this marks a blank map connection. When you use a WTW cheat or get access to WTW through glitches, going through an unused connection will load map 0xFF, which crashes the game.

In this ROM hack however, map FF is now a valid map!
I wanted to preserve as much I can from this map in the vanilla games, but it sourced its data from critical memory addresses I couldn't just edit easily. So, I just ended up putting it somewhere completely blank. That way, I can make the map how I please, so I can make sure I maintain its glitchiness. My lack of knowledge about how most of this works helped with the glitchy aesthetic.

In the attachment is a video on how to access it. I use ACE to open up an in-game memory editor to obtain WTW and patch out the glitch trainer's AI (otherwise the game would crash). The glitch AI will be something I'll need to fix before I release this hack.

Because map 0xFF is accessed through an unused connection, you may enter it from many places. However, the trainer is located within the bounds of the map, and going to map 0xFF from other places may set your coordinates outside it.
It's hard to tell where you are in the map if you don't have a memory viewer/debugger on your side, so the best way is to enter it from Pallet Town and heading to the right.

Anyway, that's all for now. Feel free to discuss any thoughts you may have on this. This is my first ROM hack of Gen I after all, so feedback is most appreciated!

(P.S. idk where else to put this post)

Attachments

• Mapff-1.mp4
    7.9 MB
Back