• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What Education do characters get in your world?

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
See, the thing is simple:

You become 10 yr old, and off you go sent into the wilderness with a Caterpie by your side. What could possibly go wrong? And I don't necessarily mean the risks of the outside world, but also whether your young little Trainer, blessed be his heart, is prepared for it.

So, how does education work in that sense in your world? What are children taught before they are sent out to smack Evil Teams? Is it enough to fit before... well, age 10? Does your character's education continue while they are on the road?

Have you read any works that tackle this? How do you do (or blissfully ignore) on your own? ;)

Presumably there's the basics of how to traverse a road and civic behaviour, but let's talk about the elephant in the room: ninjas.

And I'm not even kidding! 10 yr old are masters at throwing Pokéballs! If the target is moving, hidden, flying, flailing, it doesn't matter, down (or inside) they go. Perfect accuracy that the baseball leagues in the US would probably kill for. How do your characters get it? Do they go through special ninja training and their own non-lethal version of the Chūnin Exams before they become 10?

PMD Writers: don't even think I've forgotten about you. PSMD has an entire school arc! What are young Pokémon taught in a PMD world? Is it about how herbivore good and carnivore bad? Is it about how not to draw the ire of the local legendary du jour? Or the difference between a Oran Berry and a Onan Berry? Show us~

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
This is a difficult question for me since my fanfiction is a Genshin one, and education doesn't really seem to be discussed unless you dig deep into the lore. But, my main oc was tutored at home by his mother and he read his father's books (who is a researcher full time) so he's self taught in ways, and taught by his mother in others. But, this is all pre-story stuff, but I sprinkled in what his home life was like before his abduction.

All I know about Genshin in terms of education is they have tutoring and there's some school in Sumeru, so I'l limited on what I can do.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
Mostly depends on where you are in Shattered Crests.
Some countries have a good amount of knowledge but even those are different in their own right. I'll do a few examples.

Say you're like the protags and are from one of the five groups of original mons, but unlike the protags you were raised there. Each one has a specific facet that is more emphasized based on their respective cultures even if all get a similar education.
Norfairion - Military, Combat, Mechanics, Math, Physics, Survival
Averion - Military, Tactics, Synergetic Sciences, Form Combat
Phoenecion - Literature, Debate, Government, The Life Sciences, Chemistry, Seasoning (as in skills) Guilds, Art and creativity
Scythelion - Physics, Engineering, Craftsmonship Guilds, Economics, Development, Technological Advancements
Daemorian - Military, Combat, Survival, Recon, Chemistry, Art and Creativity, Construction

A good emphasis is that each one has their respective roles to play in face of war or perhaps even in diplomatic ties with other factions and/or their own development.

Other countries like say, Yveshia or Rayqieum would probably move their education in ways that benefited the country's current needs and or necessities.
Some like Amestria would put an emphasis on government with how it's senate structure is much larger than others and some like Sol would emphasize specific apprentice style tutoring due to needing a more physical workforce.

Poorer countries like Bohrmia would probably have tutoring or villages teaching their own children in a collective sense and more city-state-like places (Triacal) would be similar, though have a much better access to education materials or even foreign tutors.

There are some topics generally taught and even some so natural parents would teach their kids by default (like moves, speaking, writing, whatnot)

Bay

Years
In Foul Play, in Alola at least the children go to school at a young age like in the games. They do the island challenge at eleven, but they still go to school in a hybrid in-class and long-distance learning for those serious about the island challenge. The long-distance stuff you can use the internet from the Pokemon Center and Rotom. The fanfic Eldritch did that and I did something similar.

Jackson_smith01

fictionwriter
Days
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 31, 2023
The educational backgrounds of fictional characters vary greatly, depending on the context and setting of the story. In many narratives, characters receive formal education that aligns with the societal norms and structures of their respective worlds. This education can take various forms, such as online resources such as nerdpapers.com , edubirdie or attending traditional schools, academies, or specialized training programs. Some characters may pursue higher education at universities or engage in vocational training to develop specific skills .. Additionally, characters may receive unconventional or alternative forms of education, such as apprenticeships, mentorship, or self-directed learning. The educational paths of these characters often play a significant role in shaping their knowledge, abilities, and personal growth, influencing their actions and contributing to the development of the storyline.

Back