• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Illegal file sharing

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I don't understand why pirating TV shows is a bad thing. I mean, if you can watch it on the web for free, why can't you download it for free? It shouldn't be illegal at all to download something you could see at a scheduled time or can see online. Of course, this applies more to broadcast networks than cable, because you have to pay for cable while you can get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and CW for no cost except an antenna. They make no money if you buy a Terk antenna, do they?

As for music, I've stopped going the route of illegally downloading it. I like going to YouTube to hear the songs on a new album before I make the decision on if I want it or not. There isn't anything wrong with that - you can listen to the song like you would on the radio, then decide if you want to buy. It isn't "piracy" if you're just listening to it.

Or watching it, if it's a TV show. I did hear that the broadcast networks scoured YouTube and removed all of the old episodes of their shows to ensure that nobody could get into them. That's just stupid. It's the same as downloading - sure, you may have a copyright, but shouldn't it be where people can view them? Isn't that important for getting new viewers?

Basically, I think file sharing is only okay with TV shows. I really need to stop downloading other things that way but I'm broke and can't do much right now. Guess I might have to wait...

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
It really depends on what it is for me. If it's a TV show that you have easy access to on TV or DVD, then I don't. However, if it's an anime (subbed or RAW)that you can only get unless you

a) live in Japan
b) by for way to much money off eBay
c) download illegally

Then I would have no other choice than to illegally download it. Same with if it's music. If it's something that's sold at you're local Wal-mart, why steal it? Why not support the musician by buying their music? However, if it's very old music that is hard to find in stores, or, again, only in other countries, you'd have to download it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I don't understand why pirating TV shows is a bad thing. I mean, if you can watch it on the web for free, why can't you download it for free? It shouldn't be illegal at all to download something you could see at a scheduled time or can see online. Of course, this applies more to broadcast networks than cable, because you have to pay for cable while you can get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and CW for no cost except an antenna. They make no money if you buy a Terk antenna, do they?

As for music, I've stopped going the route of illegally downloading it. I like going to YouTube to hear the songs on a new album before I make the decision on if I want it or not. There isn't anything wrong with that - you can listen to the song like you would on the radio, then decide if you want to buy. It isn't "piracy" if you're just listening to it.

Or watching it, if it's a TV show. I did hear that the broadcast networks scoured YouTube and removed all of the old episodes of their shows to ensure that nobody could get into them. That's just stupid. It's the same as downloading - sure, you may have a copyright, but shouldn't it be where people can view them? Isn't that important for getting new viewers?

Basically, I think file sharing is only okay with TV shows. I really need to stop downloading other things that way but I'm broke and can't do much right now. Guess I might have to wait...
Because when you watch it online for free, they have advertisements with it that pay the network when they're viewed. Downloading it doesn't offer a revenue towards the network.

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
Don't buy music blindly. I normally will download an album and if I like it, I'll buy it. Groups I am a fan of already, I'll only download if an album leaks, and still buy it once it's out officially.

Games, I tend to only buy... and only buy during Steam sales or when various retailers are having sales. Of course, if it's an out of print game, I'll download it without hesitation.

I don't bother downloading many movies, because I flat out don't watch many (and the ones I do watch tend to be a couple years old so they're typically cheaper).

I download almost all of the TV shows I watch because they're either foreign or I don't feel like turning the TV on to watch it at a time that's not convenient to me.

I would download a car. You have no idea how hard I would download a car.

LividZephyr

Years
Because when you watch it online for free, they have advertisements with it that pay the network when they're viewed. Downloading it doesn't offer a revenue towards the network.
That makes sense. Always forget about those ads, and I think my AdBlock gets rid of some of them, even. Of course, there's the big issue with the networks' video players not working, partially because it won't let you pause the ad and it takes two minutes to download completely and go through one half-second at a time. That's why I download. It takes a while, but at least I get to keep it and can watch it offline.

Still, I'm not completely against that kind of piracy. I don't see that it should be illegal. Heck, networks can even offer them for download for $1-3. They probably already do, but not in a desirable format or at a desirable site... there's also Hulu.

I need to break out of this habit. I'm trying to! xD

@Algo - download... a car? How? ;)

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
For games, its a varient of 1/2 for me. If the game has DRM, I'm pirating a DRM free copy.

I have a very deep hatred of Steam, relating to when I had dialup. I'd purchase physical copies of games, and not be able to use them because Steam refuses to work on dialup. The part that made me hate them was when asking on the Steam Forums the only 'help' I got was being told to get better Internet. I have better internet now, but if my money wasn't important enough for them to give me a working service back then, then I'm sure as **** not giving them my money now.

Edit - I'll pirate it just out of spite, but if I end up falling in love with the game then I'll buy a physical copy. If they don't sell physical copies though, no money for them.

As for music, it's mostly #3 and sorta #1 (As in, not avaliable to purchase.) The stuff that I love, I can't buy it here so pirating is my only option. (Globe. Love them, but their CD's are rare and when they do pop up they are usually 50-60 each, plus the shipping from Japan.)

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Those 3 types don't address reasons, so adding a fourth with a reason misses the point a bit. If the game has DRM you would fall under either 1 or 2, depending on if you would go without the game if the only option was paying and dealing with DRM, lol.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Yeah, reread the reasons again. Had to rewrite that a couple of times because of it.

Edit - Not really. They don't prevent you from using the product on a device it was made for, ie a DS(L,I,I XL)

If they started requiring you to have a active wifi connection at all times, then it would fall under (imo) DRM which disrupts use of a product on a device it was made for.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It is technically DRM, but it's not the type that harms the valid consumer as well as the pirate, so it's not the type that's usually referred to when people talk about the evils of DRM haha. Something like a limited number of installs is also harmful DRM.

LividZephyr

Years
DRM was the main reason I started pirating music way back when. iTunes is a garbage service, after all. Then Amazon started establishing itself as a music source without DRM, so I've been going there to get tunes when I want them.

I didn't know that games had DRM, though... yikes. Wait, are these those stupid "game only works on one unit" things, that don't take into account replacement consoles and all of that BS? If that's the case, I'd totally pirate them. I want to play the full game and not pay extra. Not that I really play games much anymore...

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The 3DS jumped into the 'Bad DRM' territory though with it's region locking though.

Moot point though, as there are no 3DS emulators/flashcards out. Yet.

Edit - Speaking of super ****** DRM, did you know that there were actually some forms of DRM that would cause your computers components to wearout at a very increased rate?

Edit again - Another exception to my pirate everything with DRM rule, but If I had a less laggy internet connection then I'd be buying some games just for the MP. Top of my list, currently, is ME3. (I have a dislike for it but its not enough to make me hate it. It's not the ending either... It's because they completely screwed my favorite gun, the M-5 Phalanx. I loved the ME-2 version, can't stand the ME3 version. And it's not because it's weaker, it's because they got rid of the laser targeting)

Last edited:

LividZephyr

Years
Oh, right, region locking. I'd definitely try to mod a console if that was the case and I wanted to play an import game or something. Console modding is in the same vein as piracy, apparently... yet rooting your Android phone is legal? Weird.

I don't really pirate programs, though. Have had bad experiences :-X

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Was looking this up, about the DRM ruining/damaging computers.

The most widely known case was the Sony BMG Rootkit scandal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal

I haven't found articles about this, but just from how two types of DRM/Copyprotection work (SecuROM and Starforce) you can tell how bad of a idea they are.

SecuROM worked by having intentionally flawed sectors on the disc. If these damaged sectors weren't detected, game wouldn't work. However, the flawed sectors can cause severe drive slowdown, and increased wear on the drive.

Starforce installed additional driver, with high security privilages, and disables SCSI devices, and also left a pretty exploitable security flaw in your computer. If the driver malfunctoned/errored it, it would crash your computer. This was more prevalant on Vista though. Oh, and it could also make your CD drive say '**** you, I Quit!' because it either sends to many, or incorrect, device commands.

LividZephyr

Years
That reminds me... I'm gonna run Malwarebytes. DRM is spyware, after all, and encrypting stuff with it can only do harm long-term. Like with iTunes songs only working on that crappy music player or games only working in certain regions. It's not a necessary evil, it's just... evil. Why is it even necessary? It would only prevent companies from making money due to the drawbacks.

Seriously, that's why I would pirate. I don't want to give them money if they're going to make my life more difficult. Amazon does MP3s right. Why can't Crapple?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Apple is all about profit through control.

You can see it in pretty much everything they make.

Back