• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
This seems to be an issue that people have been invariably been reporting over the years. I've never been able to figure out what's been going on with this.

What's your ROM's MD5 checksum according to this online calculator? Make sure to check the box that says "MD5" next to it before you do the check.
Baserom's MD5: e26ee0d44e809351c8ce2d73c7400cdd
Patched rom's MD5: e515a51697d2a1ec48f43e47d5ce0c01
Does it look good?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Baserom's MD5: e26ee0d44e809351c8ce2d73c7400cdd
Patched rom's MD5: e515a51697d2a1ec48f43e47d5ce0c01
Does it look good?
Yeah, that's good. If you're using an emulator, what emulator (and version number) do you use?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
v161215 now up!

I've made a workaround for the fanfares not playing. It seems to be another case of the developers hardcoding a function to only apply in specific instances. The solution I've provided isn't ideal, but I personally think it's still better than how it was in the vanilla game. I also fixed a bug that causes issues with getting the unchosen Kanto starter from the Trainer Tower owner. This fix applies to the full patch. It will still happen to people who patch the Extras patch after the Catch 'em All patch. Order is more important than I thought.

To help out with patch confusion, I've included a ReadMe file in the download. Please check it out. It gives specific examples on how to patch a FireRed ROM with your desired Throwback features.

Thanks everyone for sticking through this hack's development with me this year! I think it's fair to say that 2016 hasn't gone the way most of us would have ideally wanted, but Throwback perseveres nonetheless.

Changelog

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Yeah, that's good. If you're using an emulator, what emulator (and version number) do you use?

I am using VBA-M the sourceforge version from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/files/Win32-Wx/
(The first file: VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX-2.0.0-beta2.7z)

Also the same issue happens when I use the GBASP real hardware. (I flashed the rom to a flash card).

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I am using VBA-M the sourceforge version from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/files/Win32-Wx/
(The first file: VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX-2.0.0-beta2.7z)

Also the same issue happens when I use the GBASP real hardware. (I flashed the rom to a flash card).
I'm not having any problems with that emulator. I don't have the means to test with real hardware right now.

Which patches do you use, and in what order? What program do you use to patch the ROM?

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
I'm not having any problems with that emulator. I don't have the means to test with real hardware right now.

Which patches do you use, and in what order? What program do you use to patch the ROM?
I only applied the main patch. And I use WinIPS.

I am also using GBA bios with the emulator.

EDIT: Okay, now I see what is causing the problem. If I disable using bios, this issue will not happen.
Strangely, though, that I thought using bios should enhance the emulation precision.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
EMERGENCY UPDATE v161216 UP. PLEASE UPDATE!
I only applied the main patch. And I use WinIPS.

I am also using GBA bios with the emulator.

EDIT: Okay, now I see what is causing the problem. If I disable using bios, this issue will not happen.
Strangely, though, that I thought using bios should enhance the emulation precision.
I can't believe I never thought about using the BIOS. Thank you for figuring this out!

As it turns out, the Wardrobe patch causes this game-breaking issue. It doesn't seem to like the way that I changed the player's head icon on the Town Map. I've made an emergency update to the hack that addresses this fatal flaw. For now, it reverts the player icons on the Town Map to their vanilla sprites. I'll see if I can figure out the underlying problem in the future, but not right away. I'm taking a break from the hack for a week or so. I want to celebrate the holiday season with my family uninterrupted. I'll try to get this properly fixed before the end of the year.

Changelog

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
EMERGENCY UPDATE v161216 UP. PLEASE UPDATE!

I can't believe I never thought about using the BIOS. Thank you for figuring this out!

As it turns out, the Wardrobe patch causes this game-breaking issue. It doesn't seem to like the way that I changed the player's head icon on the Town Map. I've made an emergency update to the hack that addresses this fatal flaw. For now, it reverts the player icons on the Town Map to their vanilla sprites. I'll see if I can figure out the underlying problem in the future, but not right away. I'm taking a break from the hack for a week or so. I want to celebrate the holiday season with my family uninterrupted. I'll try to get this properly fixed before the end of the year.
Take your time to fix this. You already put so much efforts in this hack and I am very appreciate of all your hard works :)

Fowlerr1998

Has 172 IQ
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
Hi, im new.
After i patched my rom the mGBA emulator shows only a white screen that nothing happens. Can someone help me with this?
Im %100 sure that this is related to my ignorancy about these kinds of stuff but still i had to ask you know :)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hi, im new.
After i patched my rom the mGBA emulator shows only a white screen that nothing happens. Can someone help me with this?
Im %100 sure that this is related to my ignorancy about these kinds of stuff but still i had to ask you know :)
It sounds like you patched the wrong ROM. The correct ROM to patch is the v1.0 English release of the game. You can tell it's the v1.0 release if the Game Freak splash screen doesn't say "Presents" underneath the company logo.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 12, 2017
Hi there, i might be embarassing myself now but, i'm totally new at hack roms and i wished to play a pokemon game just like your hack, where i could catch every gen 1 and 2 pokemons with a single save file, that said, i am having a bit of a problem, i don't know if it was because of me not patching the rom correctly but, i'm having a bit of struggle to find the pinsir at the safari zone, it simply doesn't appear, i have walked in the bushes for a long time, and it never appeared, scyther have, but it didn't.
i play in the fire red version and i really loved it, very nice work on this hack man, i might be new to this, but its just what i was looking for.
sorry for my english and thank you

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hi there, i might be embarassing myself now but, i'm totally new at hack roms and i wished to play a pokemon game just like your hack, where i could catch every gen 1 and 2 pokemons with a single save file, that said, i am having a bit of a problem, i don't know if it was because of me not patching the rom correctly but, i'm having a bit of struggle to find the pinsir at the safari zone, it simply doesn't appear, i have walked in the bushes for a long time, and it never appeared, scyther have, but it didn't.
i play in the fire red version and i really loved it, very nice work on this hack man, i might be new to this, but its just what i was looking for.
sorry for my english and thank you
Pinsir is available on in the two deeper areas of the Safari Zone. The first two areas available have Scyther, not Pinsir. The later two areas have Pinsir, not Scyther.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 12, 2017
Pinsir is available on in the two deeper areas of the Safari Zone. The first two areas available have Scyther, not Pinsir. The later two areas have Pinsir, not Scyther.

Just got it man!!!, thanks a lot, and let me ask, is there any guide or map with the locations of the pokemons, that would be nice...

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Just got it man!!!, thanks a lot, and let me ask, is there any guide or map with the locations of the pokemons, that would be nice...
I'll be working on location guide for the hack throughout the month. I want it to be in-depth and all-inclusive, so it'll take awhile for me to get it done entirely. But trust me, I know how important something like it is to a hack that changes Pokémon locations.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 12, 2017
I'll be working on location guide for the hack throughout the month. I want it to be in-depth and all-inclusive, so it'll take awhile for me to get it done entirely. But trust me, I know how important something like it is to a hack that changes Pokémon locations.

nice bro, take your time, i imagine how much effort you have put in this work of yours, thats why it is so amazing, looking forward for this guide, peace

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 12, 2017
hey there man, i'm having a issue here, the game won't save, i was playing in the emulator and saving state, no problem there, until i finished the elite 4 and beaten the rival, where it didn't save and the game wouldn't proceed, i read it somewhere on the documents of how to enable the game to save, but i forgot it and couldn't find it again, could you give me a hand here please?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
hey there man, i'm having a issue here, the game won't save, i was playing in the emulator and saving state, no problem there, until i finished the elite 4 and beaten the rival, where it didn't save and the game wouldn't proceed, i read it somewhere on the documents of how to enable the game to save, but i forgot it and couldn't find it again, could you give me a hand here please?
What emulator are you using?

Back