• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BC Discussion & Feedback

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
If my Randbats Tournament is successful, I will follow up with a new event called "Weekly Tournaments." It will be split up into seasons similar to the PC League, and each season will consist of weeks (literally). Each week there will be a tournament with a unique theme that consists of one round of match-ups. Once all of the weeks have passed, scores will be tallied up to decide the winner of the season. However, I'm not sure how many weeks there will be in a season.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
sup

so p much when I realised THE SERVER sounded like THE MAFIA I thought, wow, because Anti was on server last night then I thought of DIP, which never really kicked off last time it was tried because people didn't care. While that's an Other Trivia thing, it can be implemented into Events & Groups. It could be a league or a tourney, but basically everyone would have a country they compete for. They could team up with other users, secretly, so their wins count towards the other person's wins, in alliances. You want lots of alliances to be able to win prizes in it, which include soldiers etc, which can be like you choose from a certain amount of Pokemon at first, then more get unlocked as you get them and get alliances and put your points tally up. Ultimately the person with the most of the other people's Pokemon win (which means the most battling wins!) y/n anyone interested?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Just letting everyone know that those Weekly Tournaments I'll be hosting can start anytime. I figured I'd wait a while because there's already the PC League, a Randbats tournament, Battle to the Death, and CommDay running right now. I think winter break (or summer break for them Aussies) would be a good time to start the Weekly Tournaments.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I was asking Luke about past S&M things which could be done now about making BC active, and he said that getting the forum as active as before probably won't happen, but not really being involved much in wifi is leaving a lot of people out, and that's kind of true. Pretty much all of Trade Corner is wifi (obv) and over here there's a lot of concentration on simulators but less on wifi, and although overall simulator play is favoured, it's leaving out a part of PC that could potentially really get involved here. If we all started working on wifi strategies, created wifi discussions and did battle simulator stuff too, it might make the others feel more a part of the community. so idk I think going towards wifi a bit might definitely help out activity forum-wise, as server activity definitely isn't a problem, and could create a larger userbase. Like if we just concentrated on doubles or nothing else it'd probably work out pretty well, tbh. Well, not really now, because I was thinking once doubles support comes on PS, then we can test the teams out, ask trade to kindly RNG them, and do what wifi would do to ladder... which'd be random matchup! Then from that discuss strategies and things here, which'd also help kick off wifi tournies too, as the colours tourney has a lot less participants compared to battle to the death etc. So it'd be singles for simulator and doubles for wifi, allowing the forum and server to benefit from both, rather than the stage BC itself is sitting in where none of the single regs really post unless they're told to, while E&G is thriving etc.

Also Touj suggested...

[14:04:33] ☆ <@Toujours> make a TC/BC randbat thing
[14:04:46] ☆ <@Toujours> where it's like an egg swap, and then they hatch the eggs and fight with them
[14:04:47] ☆ <@Toujours> imo

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I forgot to say that I'm fine with all of that.

Anyway, here's an idea I had: we could have a "Countdown till the New Year" event where the objection is to complete the most battles before the New Year rolls around. This would start at around 8 PM EST I'm guessing. This event would likely have only one tier allowed so that everyone can battle without having to ask which tier to use beforehand. I'm not sure if playing in two or more battles at once should be allowed however.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I forgot to say that I'm fine with all of that.

Anyway, here's an idea I had: we could have a "Countdown till the New Year" event where the objection is to complete the most battles before the New Year rolls around. This would start at around 8 PM EST I'm guessing. This event would likely have only one tier allowed so that everyone can battle without having to ask which tier to use beforehand. I'm not sure if playing in two or more battles at once should be allowed however.

I like this. Generally those playing in two or more battles struggle to win so maybe make it to win rather than just to complete, so that they can have that option too if they're willing?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
You mean nothing on wifi. Come over to #tradecorner and be proddy one of these days :P

Actually, just this morning, we had maybe like another 5 tournament ideas thrown out that could potentially be hosted at some point. We're all just waiting for the Color Tourney to get underway and wind down before someone starts planning the next one. Just on our liddle mibbit channel alone, we've got probably 10-11 battlers.

You're right though about the lack of wifi things going on. There's a good number of folks that won't battle on a simulator for various reasons and we're pretty adamant about battling over wifi. Few years back, BC was super vibrant with all sorts of wifi stuff, especially with folks from TC popping over to BC to battle and stuff. Up until (to my recollection) a few no-do-gooders (no longer here) from shoddy started joining the wifi stuff and then railing against the restrictions that were set in place long before they came along. As far as I'm concerned, that's part of what knocked BC into near-inactivity. Spammy, yes, but back then it was easy to find something that you'd be interested in. There's other things to but oh well. If only TC and BC could somehow mingle together again.

The other plus side to learning to play doubles over wifi is that you can play in Pokemon-sponsored events, whee! Forget waiting until doubles come on Showdown, learn it now!

I talk too much.

[Edit] Just looking through all the wifi stuff in the E&G subforum... I'm not too surprised at the lack of activity there. A lot of those threads aren't well made or planned. Or updated by the OP! I sound like an elitist. (No offense to Wolfy.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
You know, I could easily fit in some Wi-Fi tournaments for Community Day. It could be a good way to introduce the TC regulars to us. Would you folks be interested? If so, what metagames do you all generally play? There could be three tournament themes: VGC '13 (or '12), standard play (OU), and the Christmas-themed monocolor (more info in the CommDay's thread).

I like this. Generally those playing in two or more battles struggle to win so maybe make it to win rather than just to complete, so that they can have that option too if they're willing?
Make it so that they need to win battles instead of completing them because they struggle to win? I'm not sure if I understand... How about, a user receives 5 points for completing a battle, and 10 for winning one? Then again, this is starting to look like the GT tournaments, so I might have to put some more thought into this.

Up until (to my recollection) a few no-do-gooders (no longer here) from shoddy started joining the wifi stuff and then railing against the restrictions that were set in place long before they came along. As far as I'm concerned, that's part of what knocked BC into near-inactivity.
I certainly remember this. Basically, BeachBoy started a league called Motisma due to the lack of leagues with proper battle rules (without silly rules like "no Stealth Rock" and "no Scizor"), and the Strategies & Movesets regulars took it a bit too seriously and borderline flamed the other leagues. They were attempting to replace the Battle Stadium regulars, which worked, but Stadium went inactive once all of its original regulars left. As a result, Stadium suffered the same inactivity that S&M had.

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
I'm just glad they're gone but the damage is done and there's no going back.

Uhhm. Actually, what little battling we do doesn't actually have tiers. It's usually offbeat stuff (that Christmas monocolor would fit there) and VGC. General consensus is that tiered is ordinary and common and boring. That said, there's no guarantee that the wifi tourneys will fly, since most of the TC battlers shun BC. And I got lucky because I've been annoying people in #tradecorner (derp). Still, if there's 1 tourney going every couple of weeks, it could help wake up the wifi activity. 3 at one time won't work. It'll split up the current number of wifi battlers and then none of the tourneys will have enough participants to work. There's MAYBE 15 competitive wifi battlers in total on PC and the majority of them have to be prodded to join. Unfortunately, community night comes too close on the heels of the Color tourney. I'll ask though. Seems there's 2 maybes so far.

What would work is if you manage to get some of the sim battlers who have carts to give wifi tournaments a go when they're up. More activity in a tourney invites more interest. There's a respectable number of RNGers in TC who does free projects.

Last edited:

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Count me in for Wifi, haven't had a good battle in forever and it gives me an excuse to build some teams and to actually be active again. The thing is how to get people interested in the Wifi portion over PO/Showdown.?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Weeeeeell. Did a teeny bit of asking around and there's a couple of people who's down for a tourney during Community Night. Setting one up for the day won't hurt. Christmas-themed seems to be a winner too.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Count me in for Wifi, haven't had a good battle in forever and it gives me an excuse to build some teams and to actually be active again. The thing is how to get people interested in the Wifi portion over PO/Showdown.?

Well we don't really need to be interested in that over PS, but there needs to be a good reason to play the games rather than the server. Perhaps encourage Pokemon prizes, but that's all I can think of that'd make people want to use the DS > PS. :(

Make it so that they need to win battles instead of completing them because they struggle to win? I'm not sure if I understand... How about, a user receives 5 points for completing a battle, and 10 for winning one? Then again, this is starting to look like the GT tournaments, so I might have to put some more thought into this.

Oh I meant it's easy to play 5 battles at once but not win 5 battles at once, since you mentioned people playing more than one battle at once, and it'd eliminate the unfairness factor if it only counted towards wins (alternatively if you made it just one battle at once!)

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Prizes don't seem all that worth it anymore with PokeSav/Pokecheck around as nobody except breeders care about the legitness of their Pokemon. I haven't a clue on what you could do otherwise though, maybe an Emblem or something, but that's really the only prize like options I can think of.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Weeeeeell. Did a teeny bit of asking around and there's a couple of people who's down for a tourney during Community Night. Setting one up for the day won't hurt. Christmas-themed seems to be a winner too.
I'll go ahead and add it to the Community Day's thread then. I'll include VGC '13 as an additional option (might as well).

Uhhm. Actually, what little battling we do doesn't actually have tiers. It's usually offbeat stuff (that Christmas monocolor would fit there) and VGC.
Makes sense. Community Day generally has themes like that, since it's a very casual and laid-back event.

What would work is if you manage to get some of the sim battlers who have carts to give wifi tournaments a go when they're up. More activity in a tourney invites more interest. There's a respectable number of RNGers in TC who does free projects.
Maybe. There are a few members here that might be interested, but I think most people would prefer battle simulators if there isn't a big reason to use Wi-Fi like Nica said (for example, PS lacks double, triple, and rotation battles at the moment). People usually use one or the other, but not both.

Oh I meant it's easy to play 5 battles at once but not win 5 battles at once, since you mentioned people playing more than one battle at once, and it'd eliminate the unfairness factor if it only counted towards wins (alternatively if you made it just one battle at once!)
Winning the most battles to win the tournament might work. However, I'm afraid that it'll be too competitive, since "win as much as possible before the time runs out" is a bit intense lol.

Prizes don't seem all that worth it anymore with PokeSav/Pokecheck around as nobody except breeders care about the legitness of their Pokemon. I haven't a clue on what you could do otherwise though, maybe an Emblem or something, but that's really the only prize like options I can think of.
We have Community Emblems that apply to most successful competitions. Of course, there's also emblems that can be made specifically for an event. Unfortunately, there isn't much else to offer.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Most people who don't care about the legitness of their pokemon tend not to be competitive battlers anyway and they're not the sort we're looking to attract.

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
The thing with that is people are very lazy when it comes to breeding and EV training a team. Most everyone just get their Pokemon illegally for the sake of conveneince. Maybe make it to where people can't use hacks, that way the prizes of Pokemon seem worth it.

Really looking forward to the VGC part of this now as that's all I play. When is community night, I'd look but my PSP loads everything so slowly.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Hacks are illegal to use on PC anyway, aren't they? Meh. If anyone dares to use hacks in anything I host, I'm blacklisting them. Anyhow, it's the 22nd.

And if you're really into VGC, there's a wifi tourney being hosted by pokemon.com that'll start soon.

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Can't sign up via PSP. :/
If I use hacks, I make sure they are within legit standards, but I no longer own an Action Replay so I'll probably just use Pokecheck to breed legitly. Too bad there isn't a way to RNG using a PSP.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I had an idea recently. Since the Pokemon of the Fortnight isn't getting much participation, I was wondering if we could ditch that and start up the Community Create-A-Team instead. It's the same thing but instead it's focused on the community creating a team together rather than users individually creating teams. I think this would be more entertaining, and is more community involved.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I had an idea recently. Since the Pokemon of the Fortnight isn't getting much participation, I was wondering if we could ditch that and start up the Community Create-A-Team instead. It's the same thing but instead it's focused on the community creating a team together rather than users individually creating teams. I think this would be more entertaining, and is more community involved.

yes please i'd much rather this than pokemon of the fortnight being dead. ;(

Back