• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is truly the best type?

Which type is truly best?

• Bug

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Dark

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Dragon

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Electric

• Fairy

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Fight

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Fire

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Flying

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Ghost

• Grass

• Ground

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Ice

• Normal

• Poison

• Psychic

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Rock

• Steel

• Water

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
Years
Who's Your Type?

As you've might have guessed, this is another poll questionnaire from yours truly, YALN. The other day I got into a mini quarrel with one of my new friends; who is the best type of Pokemon out there? I put a good argument that Dragon types are the best because of their movepool and so many resistances. My friend stated that Steel types are better because of their defense. So, yet once again, I have resorted to the people of PC....

So now that you know what I ask of you, please do share your opinions. My favorite types are Fire, Ground, and Dragon, but I'm still with my mindset that Dragons are the best out there. Depending on what you say may change my mind, but I just want to know your perspectives of this.

Years
I think Fire type is the best type, as it is super-effective against more types than the other two starter Pokemon types. Also, with Fire moves usually being Special attacks, Fire attacks can often take out Rock types, even though Rock resists Fire. And Fire can take out popular competitive battling Pokemon such as Pinsir, Heracross, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Genesect, Venusaur, Sceptile, Frosslass, and Metagross. And, Fire types resist the common Fairy and Bug, making it a nice counter to those types. Also, the only Generation where the Fire starter isn't my favorite is Gen VI.

Years
Fairy Types are the best, They pack the most punch.
They are resistant to to Dragon (and just cooler than the other counter Dragon options of Ice and Dragon). They tear apart the Dark type and stand strong again those tanky fighting types.
They also work well in both physical (Play Rough) and Special attack (Dazzling gleam and Moonblast) roles.
Plus they are baddass adorable
All in all Fairy firepower is not to be underestimated.

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
Years
I think Fire type is the best type, as it is super-effective against more types than the other two starter Pokemon types. Also, with Fire moves usually being Special attacks, Fire attacks can often take out Rock types, even though Rock resists Fire. And Fire can take out popular competitive battling Pokemon such as Pinsir, Heracross, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Genesect, Venusaur, Sceptile, Frosslass, and Metagross. And, Fire types resist the common Fairy and Bug, making it a nice counter to those types. Also, the only Generation where the Fire starter isn't my favorite is Gen VI.

:) Fire types are pretty awesome (how wouldn't I know) mainly because they are special attackers! So Pokemon like Reshiram can kick some butt with Blue Flare! You did bring up a good point; Fire types are resistant to the new addition of Fairy types and are very popular now and days! Not to mention rock types lack a special defense!

Fairy Types are the best, They pack the most punch.
They are resistant to to Dragon (and just cooler than the other counter Dragon options of Ice and Dragon). They tear apart the Dark type and stand strong again those tanky fighting types.
They also work well in both physical (Play Rough) and Special attack (Dazzling gleam and Moonblast) roles.
Plus they are baddass adorable
All in all Fairy firepower is not to be underestimated.

When it comes to Dragon types, Fairy types are invincible! Plus, Play Rough indeed does pack a serious punch!

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 11, 2017
Steel types drive me crazy. I use my fire types and do about half damage. Then they come with earthquake or rock slide and 1 hit KO me! After that unless I have a fighting type I'm done. They you have Metagross...

I do say steel are the best. I then give dragon second and fire third. Steel resist dragon and with their high defense can defend against their weaknesses. Their defense and power make up for their lack of speed.

I just thought about it but what about normal types? They don't have any advantages but with their large move pools they can be pretty effective. Their stats are typically low but there is Arceus. It's is also a common secondary type in birds. But, you get Pokemon like Tauros who have pretty good stats. They can pack a punch.

I just typed a lot more than I planned.

Infernal Desires out.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Steel and fairy come to mind first. A good steel Pokemon resists an excellent amount of types and can hit hard. Not sure sometimes if a slow extra bulky steel type is better than a fast not as bulky steel type, but regardless both are so useful.

I find fairy types to be one of the best because of what they're strong against. Fighting, dragon, and dark Pokemon are in my opinion some of the most annoying types to face if you don't have a type that's super effective against them. To have one type that can face them all is so handy. To only have two weaknesses on top of that is great too. Being weak to steel types can be an annoyance, but for myself it's unusual for me to have a team and to not have a fire type on it too.

I also want to add water. I find a bulky water type with a high special attack to be one of the best walls/attackers at the same time... I don't think sweeper would fit as well here as "attacker" lol. Their only weaknesses are grass and electric types. Grass is extremely easy to counter and electric types while only having one weakness are usually frail I find.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I like to believe that all types have their ups and downs, and are more or less equal in many different ways. In other words, I feel that there isn't any type that could possibly be considered best, unfortunately.

Personally, however, I'm actually pretty fond of fairy-type group, as it houses a ton of Pokémon that I'm a fan of. Off top of my head, one would be Togekiss. Competitively, I find myself using it very often, as it's pretty easy to utilize. With combination of Serene Grace ability and the moves Thunder Wave, Air Slash, and Roost, it's simply impossible to stop.

Along with above, another type that I personally like is dragon, due to similar reasons.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Hmmmm fairy type in my opinion ill open a poll to see what others think but fairy has some weaknesses who will ever know which is the true best. (its not poison or rock though)

I was wondering which is best of coarse you can vote for multiple but which type is better than all is there one that is undefeated? I don't think theyre all equal but lets see what the voters think!

Last edited by a moderator:

blue

gucci
Years
Difficult to choose one specific type, there's plenty of types that I really enjoy using! I think for me Flying would be my favourite and most useful due to the fact that the majority of my favourites are flying-types.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Rock - Stealth Rock. That is all.
Flying - Talonflame's priority Brave Bird, plus most early-game birds are very easy to use in-game.
Dragon - This type is generally very hard to wall due to their high-powered pokemon and moves, as well as the fact that most dragons have coverage moves like Superpower and Poison Jab.
Dark - Knock Off + Pursuit + Sucker Punch.
Steel - tons of resistances and decent offensively too.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Difficult to choose one specific type, there's plenty of types that I really enjoy using! I think for me Flying would be my favourite and most useful due to the fact that the majority of my favourites are flying-types.
Flying interesting choice well thanks for the input id have to say my favorite flying types would be talonflame and archeops
Rock - Stealth Rock. That is all.
Flying - Talonflame's priority Brave Bird, plus most early-game birds are very easy to use in-game.
Dragon - This type is generally very hard to wall due to their high-powered pokemon and moves, as well as the fact that most dragons have coverage moves like Superpower and Poison Jab.
Dark - Knock Off + Pursuit + Sucker Punch.
Steel - tons of resistances and decent offensively too.
Hmm I never like rock types because of how many weaknesses they have but dark steel and dragon I completely agree with im rethinking flying because it is important to have. Dragon types are now weak to fairy but since many can learn some steel and poison type moves ex. poison jab they are still a pretty powerful.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
To me, the most annoying type to go up against has always been Dragon, even when I've had ice types on my team, so when it finally got another weakness, I was thrilled and made sure to grab a Fairy type in my Gen VI run.

I started to appreciate Fairy types almost right away. They destroyed any dragons I came across and honestly, even Pokémon they weren't supposed to be good against struggled to keep up. I felt a little bad even having a Fairy type on my team because they felt overpowered and unbalanced to me, but oh well. Fighting other Fairy types was always pretty difficult to me. I just never seemed to have anything that could take them down easily, unlike pretty much any other type I encounter. The attacks weren't too shabby, either.

I'm not at all a competitive player--I only go by how types feel in-game when I play, but Fairy type is easily the first and only thing I think of now when I think "best", even if it's a far cry from being my favourite.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
Fairy wins it, hands down.

It offers a very useful and unique immunity to Dragon types that currently dominate the metagame, and the fact that it can deal super effective damage back to them and still be able to sponge any Dragon hit really sets them apart from say, ice.

It also has many wonderful users in the form of Azumarill for the physical side and say, Clefable on the special side, and Sylveon on the defensive side. While it could do more with a bigger pool of users, it's resistances to many dominant types such as Dark and Fighting also pose a big threat to the metagame in general.

firefight

I like people
Years
i agree! fire types just have so many advantages, not to mention the only real threat to fire is water, and i actually dont see water types all the much. most fire pokemon are strong and it is easy to overpower people just with sheer strength.

Back