• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
The Monotype Challenge

The Challenge:
The Monotype Challenge is a challenge where you use only Pokemon of a single type throughout your game.​

Rules:
1. Your final team must consist of at least 2 Elite Four-viable Pokémon who share the type you specified in your sign up. No Pokémon may be used in Trainer Battles outside of that specified type. Monotypes may not be stacked into a single run. (ie, using Vileplume and Victreebel and calling it both Poison and Grass monotypes)

2. A Pokémon of your type must be obtained before you earn your second badge or before Lana's Trial (S/M). If this is impossible in your game, you may hack or trade a single Non-Legendary Pokémon of your type within your region's Pokédex. See below for a list of qualifying challenges. No hacking is permitted otherwise. Hacking or trading items into your game is never permitted. Before you obtain the first Pokémon of your type, you may only use your starter Pokémon.

3. Pokémon outside your type may be used as long as they evolve into your type by the end of the challenge.

4. All Pokémon on this list plus Mega Latias/os are banned from use in this challenge: Banned Pokémon in Battle Maison
Any other legendaries (i.e. Legendary Birds) are allowed, but only 1.

5. Trading is permitted for evolution, and obtaining version exclusive Pokémon in your region's Pokédex that cannot be obtained otherwise, as long as its level does not exceed the highest level on your team. No HA/Egg Moves/Perfect IVs for this trade in. You may hack Pokemon to evolve if they evolve by trading if you are incapable of doing so. If the Pokemon requires an item, you must wait until you have the item before hacking the evolution. Using a trade evolution patch on a ROM is also acceptable.
Trading to another game and evolving is allowed at level 30 or above, but only for Leafeon/Glaceon in B2W2, and Glaceon/Crabominable in SM.

*Note: Trading in Nectars for Oricorio is allowed, as it's a simple form change that doesn't change base stats, this also allows anyone using a specific Oricorio to be used from the first island.
**Note2: Island Scan Pokemon are allowed as well, because although they are not in the Pokedex, they are obtainable within the limits of the game/challenge.

6. HM Slaves are permitted. They do not need to match your type.

7. Hacked ROMs are permitted. Any hacks are only viable for single challenges.
*This was added 8/4/17, any ultimate challenges that includes hacks started before this will not count against you.

8. Pokéwalker and Pokémon Dream Radar may be used to obtain Pokémon of your type for the challenge, as long as they are imported directly into the game you are playing and not traded in from a separate game.

9. Dark and Steel are exempt from needing Kanto for Ultimate Challenges, since the types were introduced in Generation 2, with only Magnemite being available in FireRed and LeafGreen with one of these types.

10. Affection is not allowed (Sylveon is the only exception, but a max of two for Sylveon, no hearts at all for everything else). Mega Stones are not allowed.
Z-Moves are allowed as of 8/5/17.

11. An Ultimate Challenge is accomplished by reaching the end game of one game from all seven official regions using the same type. They do not need to be completed in chronological order. Fairy type only needs Kalos, Hoenn, and Alola to complete.

12. Should you want to play outside the standard rules, You may opt out of championship by setting your Challenge Mode to Free Mode. Free Mode allows you to play the Monotype challenge how you want to while still being able to post updates.

End Game Points
These points are considered the end of the game.
R/B/Y/FR/LG - Defeat Blue/Rival as Champion
G/S/C/HG/SS - Defeat Lance
R/S/E/OR/AS - Defeat Steven (R/S/OR/AS) or Wallace (E)
D/P/Pt - Defeat Cynthia
B/W - Defeat Ghetsis
B2/W2 - Defeat Iris (B2/W2)
X/Y - Defeat Diantha
S/M - Defeat Kukui
Hacks - Determined by player (usually the Champion or Final Boss of the hack)

Optional End Game Points *Anyone that completes these will get an icon of the game's mascot next to their name in the champion's list, to indicate that they have put more effort into their challenge.
FR/LG - Complete the Sevii Islands side-quests and rematch the Elite Four
G/S/C/HG/SS - Collect the Kanto Badges, rematch the Elite Four, and Defeat Red (Rematching the Elite Four is only HG/SS)
E/OR/AS - Defeat Steven (E), Complete the Delta Episode and rematch the Elite Four (OR/AS)
Pt - Complete the Stark Mountain side-quest and rematch the Elite Four
B/W - Rematch the Elite Four and defeat Alder
B2/W2 - Rematch the Elite Four
X/Y - Finish the Looker Bureau side-quest
S/M - Finish the Ultra Beast side-quest, get to the Battle Tree, and defeat Red/Blue
US/UM - Finish the RR side-quest, get to the Battle Tree, and defeat Red/Blue

Rule #5 applies to any Pokemon only available in the post-game or not at all, but are still in the Regional Dex, which are: (also incluing all of evo line)
- G/S/C: Anything only available in Kanto/Mt. Silver (i.e. Houndour, Misdreavus, etc.) Same applies to HG/SS, but much more limited due to Safari Zone. More detailed list is coming at some point
- R/S/E/OR/AS: Beldum
- B2/W2: Archen, Tirtouga, Tympole, Munna, Durant, Heatmor, Cyrogonal, Stunfisk, Larvitar, Croagunk, Carnivine, Tropius, Yanma, Lickitung, Igglybuff, Slakoth, Corphish
- S/M: Porygon, Scyther, Emolga, Riolu, Sewaddle, Togepi, Timburr, Tynamo

Sign-Up
Make sure you read the rules carefully before signing up. Include the following form in a post. Feel free to group it into a single sign-up, as I did below.

Forum User Name:
Game(s): *If this is a hack, please say both the hack name and the base game.
Pokémon Type:
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: *Single is one game, Ultimate is going through all six regions.

Forum User Name: Volga
Game(s): Colosseum, XD
Pokémon Type: Fire, Water, Grass
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single (x6)

Single Challengers:
Spoiler:

Single Champions:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions:
Spoiler:

Free Mode Challengers:
Spoiler:

Free Mode Champions:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Old thread champions not being ported? Awww... I still want to see my name next to my favorite type in the Ultimate section...

Anyway, I completed my Electric Sun monotype from the last thread a couple weeks ago but forgot to post about it. Oops.

Aaaand I think the exception pokemon listed at the bottom apply to rule 5, not 6. Necrum had the same mistake.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Old thread champions not being ported? Awww... I still want to see my name next to my favorite type in the Ultimate section...

Anyway, I completed my Electric Sun monotype from the last thread a couple weeks ago but forgot to post about it. Oops.

Aaaand I think the exception pokemon listed at the bottom apply to rule 5, not 6. Necrum had the same mistake.

I will for any that have Sun/Moon completed as well.
But before I update it, I want to get it right. You have completed Ultimate Grass and Electric Single on Sun, correct?
And yeah, I used his thread as a basis and changed some things, so I accidentally missed that, it's been fixed. :)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Will you be letting people port existing progress on Ultimates into this thread? If so, I am carrying over my Bug Monotype Challenge, which is complete in Leaf Green and Heart Gold and currently in progress with Alpha Sapphire.

Forum User Name: Necrum
Game(s): Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White, Pokemon X, TBD
Pokémon Type: Bug
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate!

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Will you be letting people port existing progress on Ultimates into this thread? If so, I am carrying over my Bug Monotype Challenge, which is complete in Leaf Green and Heart Gold and currently in progress with Alpha Sapphire.

Forum User Name: Necrum
Game(s): Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White, Pokemon X, TBD
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate!

Yeah, all they gotta do is sign-up again.
And added.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
I recently signed up on the old thread so would like to port my challenge across please. I haven't made any progress yet. Edit: I've completed Leaf Green.

Forum User Name: Kitarei
Game(s): Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Emerald, Platinum, White, Y, Sun.
Pokémon Type: Fire
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Here's my new sign-up for all the challenges I started on the old thread.

Forum User Name: TheCrystalFlaaffy
Game(s): Fire Red | Silver | Emerald | Platinum | Volt White | Y | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Ice

Game(s): Red | Crystal | Emerald | Platinum | Blaze Black | Y | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Rock

Game(s): Leaf Green | Soul Silver | Emerald | Platinum | White | Y | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Normal

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald | Pearl | White | Y | Sun (0/7)

Game(s): Leaf Green | Soul Silver | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Ghost

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald | Platinum | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Water

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald (0/8) | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Fighting

Game(s): Heart Gold | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Dark

Game(s): Blue (0/8) | Crystal (0/8) | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Grass

Last edited:

Bad Egg

An error
Years
Forum User Name: Bad Egg
Game(s): Leaf Green (8/8)
Pokémon Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
Years
I'll be continuing my Pokemon Black Grass Monotype run.

Forum User Name: SilverLeafeon75
Pokémon Type: Grass
Challenge Mode: Single
Game(s): Black

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Bella's Ultimate Fire: Leaf Green

Spoiler:

[progress-yellow=100][/progress-yellow]

Last edited:

CasualToxicStall

Toxic's the name, stalling's the game
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 3, 2023
Game(s): Fire Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, White, Y, Moon
Pokémon Type: Water, Fighting, Poison
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate x3

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
I'll go ahead and add all of my previous challenge sign ups to the new thread. I did finish my Ultimate Fighting challenge on the previous thread, however, through Sun/Moon.

Username: Feraligatr13
Challenge Mode: Ultimate (all)

Type: Poison
Games: LeafGreen, SoulSilver (0/8), Alpha Sapphire (8/8), Platinum (8/8), Black 2, X, Sun

Type: Electric
Games: Yellow, HeartGold, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White, X, Sun

Type: Ice
Games: Red, Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, X (4/8), Sun

Bold indicates challenges I'm currently working on, and strikethrough indicates challenges I've already completed.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Bella's Ultimate Fire: Heart Gold

Spoiler:

[progress-yellow=100][/progress-yellow]

Last edited:

CasualToxicStall

Toxic's the name, stalling's the game
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 3, 2023
Username: CasualToxicStall
Challenge Mode: Ultimate Water, Fighting, Poison

Update #1: Played through the entire Kanto region, forgot how few water types there were in the beginning. Probably going to finish crystal in one go as well while off of work, more pictures this time though.

Type: Water
Games: FireRed, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, White, Y, Moon

Fire Red
Spoiler:

Type: Fighting

Type: Poison

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
A new thread and the end of my Normal Sun run.

The Final Team

Spoiler:

Years
I want to take my challenge to this topic.
I'm playing Pokémon Fuligin with a Poison type team.

Team:
Spoiler:

Well, managed to defeat that unbeatable Swallot with Arbok playing an important role paralyzing it and damaging it a little and Tobey finalizing it with powerful Wing Attacks.

SetheKing

"Ignore him, for he...Yeah, he's dumb."
Years
I had made literally no progress on my challenge in the old topic, so just gonna do it fresh while changing it up a little, methinks:

Forum User Name: SetheKing
Game(s): FireRed, SoulSilver, AlphaSapphire, Platinum, Black, Y, Moon
Pokémon Type: Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back