• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Replay Value

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
uzzkzyzwf3evvbs8gguc.jpg

As we all know, Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow were the first entries of the Pokemon franchise. They really are the games that started it all. However, it is now 2018. Many games have come since then, each with updated graphics and features.

Do you ever replay Red, Blue, or Yellow? Or do you find yourself unable to go back to the games?

I know that Red, Blue, and Yellow were released on the VC about a year ago, but even before that I would replay my Red Version on my gameboy. I don't find it hard to go back to the original games, even though the graphics are outdated. I actually prefer them to their remakes Firered and Leafgreen.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Yes, I do go back and replay Yellow for the nostalgia. Pikachu is so cute when you talk to him.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Yeah they are fun to replay, like most pokemon games except gen 7. The beginning is not as fun as late game because the early selection of pokemon is kind of lame, but that is to be expected of any early game routes

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Regardless of what version you have, Generation 1 is frankly "Easy" mode when it comes to Pokemon games. Only 151 species(as opposed to the 700+ we now have), Special stat is all 1 stat as opposed to two, no genders, no abilities, no items(Focus Sash for example) and no Steel, Dark or Fairy Type Pokemon. That's not factoring in limited/weak Bug Type moves that artificially inflate the power of Psychic Types, an item system that got drastically improved in later generations and visual sprites that are average but adequate for the time.

That said, I still play Pokemon Yellow. It'd be better if you had a means of picking/trading in a particular starter as opposed to going with Pikachu each and every time(much less being able to evolve it into Raichu. That's my only knock on Yellow version).

Last edited:
Years
Yes, I replay the originals and have a good time. One of the reasons I like to play RBY is for the glitches. I knew of the most famous ones when I was tiny, but now I am aware of more data that can be accessed within the game so it makes it a new experience.

Like XNaut mentioned I really like Pikachu following you as a detail of Pokemon Yellow, its just a delight that he says his name and has all kinds of special interactions with you, loving you, hating you, falling asleep, going fishing, getting afraid of ghosts. It really had an impact on me as a tot and I think helped me develop into a trainer who likes to have friendships with her pokemon and explore parts of the world unrelated to battle. He really feels like a character, and that is one of the reasons why I prefer the originals to frlg. I don't know why the remakes did not keep it so that your starter Pokemon followed you.

I also like the story details added to yellow that make it more like the anime like meeting Jesse and James of Team Rocket or finding Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle and Blue gaining Eevee. I wish frlg had done things like that, instead of random dungeons in the Sevvii islands I think it would have been more interesting to make the post game the Orange Islands-- but I digress.

What I also like about the originals is the darkness. It remains one of the darkest games in the franchise, these were the days when we still had a game corner with slot machines to play, where creepy hentai NPCs lurked around, the ghosts of murdered pokemon haunted Lavender Town, pokemon were tested on in cruel experiments, rivals were still aggressive, there was human transmogrification and gym leaders ran crime syndicates.

Rby is Kanto in its unexpurgated where pokemon trainers carry whips, there are many terrifying pokedex entries and the trainer classes have some shocking connotations, things that have all gradually been phased out.

I think the story events of Kanto are a lot of fun from waking up snorlax with the pokeflute to solving the mystery of the Pokemon tower to sailing on the S.S. Anne. There's a whole batch of gym leaders who have personalities that are just really captivating. I also love the Pokemon above all else, all three of the starters, Dragonite, Gengar, Ninetales, Eevee, Gyarados, Vileplume Aracanine, Nidoqueen. So I find it ultimately a region worth travelling to and for me the originals are the way to play.

The remakes run smoother, but I see them as a watered down versions of the Red and Blue games, catering to the smallest of audience members with the teachy tv. The music is more polished technically but can get very electronic-sounding in areas and sometimes is just not as good as the original, such as with Blue's champion theme-- I completely agree with Aura Gaurdian's analysis on this one point, you need that edgier sound like an alarm going of when you face him. Overall the 3rd gen remakes look too bright, saturated and cheerful for me-- its Hoenn warmed up in the microwave. While Hoenn is my favorite region, what works for the pastoral, intimitate communities of Hoenn doesn't necessarily work for the edgier, more cynical world of Kanto. It hurts Kanto's atmosphere not to have a night more than it does Hoenn. And I think the monochrome originals end up setting the stark mood better in their absence of color.

I understand that a lot of people will not play the originals because they are more than twenty years old and no longer look pretty. Fine, that doesn't bother me. Looks are not the only thing that make me like a game. The world of Kanto is not a glamorous place and that is not what I play it for. Everything about gen 1 is raw on the outside and on the inside.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I literally hate FRLG and would gladly replay RBY over them any day, lol. I don't replay them as often as I did when I had more free time, but you know. I played them a lot, for the most part. I kind of enjoy the fact things are so messed up in that game. Like the Toxic/Leech Seed glitch, the weird TMs (did u know u can teach arcanine teleport bc wow), and other things. And there wasn't all the damn handholding. It's almost refreshing to go back to basics.

Guest123_x1

I really love replaying Generation I, especially since their release on the 3DS two years ago. Lots of memories for me with those games, even if they're such incredible technical messes, with their glitches and all.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Gen I is probably the generation I've replayed the most times. Unlike my later games (where I made a single save file and never restarted it or overwrote it), I backed up several different Red saves to my mega memory card, and played through gen I three or four times on cartridge. I've also played all of the different versions (RBY), so that adds more variety.

In recent years, I've turned to using gen I for challenges, and I actually planned out a series of runs to do at some point (most likely on 3DS VC, as I really like playing on an actual handheld, though I don't like the fact that I can't back those files up). With the recent eShop releases, I bought all three versions for each of my two 3DS systems, and plan to have different runs on each of those. So far, I've beaten two of those (Red and Blue on my 3DS XL) with different teams, adhering to different conditions. I've been sidetracked by gen II (my favorite) of late, so I haven't played gen I since last September, but I'm sure I'll play it again fairly regularly for the foreseeable future.

I love the mechanics of gen I because they allow me to take a different approach to team-building than I would in later generations. Although I can technically beat the game with any Pokemon, it's fun to try out new strategies that might not work as well in the newer games. I also didn't get into competitive play until the end of gen II, so gen I competitive play (and team-building, even if I never actually use said teams against other people) still feels fairly novel.

I like replaying the games in general, but I'm particularly partial to the first two generations. Part of that is the nostalgia element. After all, I grew up with those games, and I have a lot of great memories of playing Pokemon when it was a huge craze. I also like to play before bed to help me get my mind off of other things before I fall asleep, and I find the earlier generations work best for that (in part because I'm particularly familiar with them, and in part because the simpler graphics are less harsh on my eyes when I'm trying to doze off). In fact, since that's the only setting I've been able to play Pokemon in of late, I've pretty much exclusively been replaying older games on 3DS VC, and I haven't gotten around to starting USUM yet.

Years
Yes yes yes. I replay a lot. These games are incredibly fun no matter how often you've replayed and each time adds a new experience for me. There are still a lot of RBY Pokémon I've not used on my team yet, so I'd like to do that also. Like Imperator161 has said above, they're probably my most-replayed Pokémon games along with GSC (and possibly RBY next in line). Challenge runs in RBY are wicked fun also.

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
I replay these sometimes, often using extra rules to make the challenge harder or just trying to complete the PokéDex. Returning to the roots is a good thing to do.

Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
For me I collect all the pokemon games, may be a bit obsessed. But I did miss R/B/Y from my younger days. One of the first pokemon games I played was Red when I was still in school that I borrowed from a friend, tried out and ended up buying both the game and a Gameboy for Christmas that year.

For Nostalgia when R/B/Y came out on the Nintendo store I quickly bought both Red and Yellow and had been trying to remember my original team from Red. Slowly coming back... I think it was Charazard, Pidgeot, Jolteon, Sandslash, Hitmonlee, and Starmie.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
For me I collect all the pokemon games, may be a bit obsessed. But I did miss R/B/Y from my younger days. One of the first pokemon games I played was Red when I was still in school that I borrowed from a friend, tried out and ended up buying both the game and a Gameboy for Christmas that year.

For Nostalgia when R/B/Y came out on the Nintendo store I quickly bought both Red and Yellow and had been trying to remember my original team from Red. Slowly coming back... I think it was Charazard, Pidgeot, Jolteon, Sandslash, Hitmonlee, and Starmie.

Solid team, although I question the Fighting type due to how OP Psychic types were and the fact anything but Normal types your other Pokemon can knock out. I got Yellow not long after it came out and my team changes every time I play through, although it's so hard to pass on the Kanto starters, Snorlax, Lapras, Arcanine and Dragonite. Ironically I can forego using the Legendary birds and Psychic types(including the two legendaries). Typically my team usually ends up being Pikachu(it's my starter), Vulpix(my favorite Pokemon and I sometimes don't bother evolving it to Ninetales), Lapras(Ice STAB), Sandslash(my favorite pure Ground type), Butterfree(my favorite Bug type) and Flex(any Pokemon I want. Typically it's either Venusaur(underrated starter), Snorlax, Dragonite or Haunter).

Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
Solid team, although I question the Fighting type due to how OP Psychic types were and the fact anything but Normal types your other Pokemon can knock out. I got Yellow not long after it came out and my team changes every time I play through, although it's so hard to pass on the Kanto starters, Snorlax, Lapras, Arcanine and Dragonite. Ironically I can forego using the Legendary birds and Psychic types(including the two legendaries). Typically my team usually ends up being Pikachu(it's my starter), Vulpix(my favorite Pokemon and I sometimes don't bother evolving it to Ninetales), Lapras(Ice STAB), Sandslash(my favorite pure Ground type), Butterfree(my favorite Bug type) and Flex(any Pokemon I want. Typically it's either Venusaur(underrated starter), Snorlax, Dragonite or Haunter).

With me I don't pick due to well this one has stats that handle this and calculate this, that and another. I typically pick a team by what I both like and what I can have the most fun with, mostly still do now. I just never liked the thought of being like every other Jo and Tom out there XD

Last edited:
Years
I have indeed replayed Gen I even recently. Matter of fact, I not two weeks ago finished a Yellow Nuzlocke with no items in battle except regular Poké Balls + Set mode. And in October I wrapped up my Ultimate Blue Mono-Color with Blue - how fitting. But if people still say these games are among the hardest, then, we'll, yeah, not really.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
Replay value isn't there for me unless I go some months or years in between, and even then I replay halfway through and then stop. I go back for nostalgia purposes sometimes, but that's about it.

Though, recently I've been wanting to replay Platinum, and / or Omega Ruby after some time of not playing much Pokemon!

Gen 1 is hard to go back to, because I kind of want to, but it's just missing so many things, and the graphics, and even though I have Yellow on my 3DS, it's hard to focus on it. Pain. I know ppl will jump my ass over that, but oh well.

blue

gucci
Years
Gen I is my least favourite so those games don't have much replay value for me at all. The last time I played Yellow was about 2 years ago and I barely made any progress so. :x

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
Gen I is my least favourite so those games don't have much replay value for me at all. The last time I played Yellow was about 2 years ago and I barely made any progress so. :x

If you hate the games why are you commenting on a page about them? Would be like me going into a discussion on Final Fantasy "Nah, I hate his crap man." XD

Years
Gen I has almost no replay value for me. Last few times I started them, I made almost no progress. On the other hand, I really love replaying FireRed/LeafGreen.

Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
I really don't get why people keep coming on a thread about Red, Blue, and yellow to mention how they dislike them and how they are 'not their thing' and bringing the enjoyability of the thread down. I feel like...why bother if everyone is coming here and being so...negative. I thought I could come on here and see others enjoying the older games, not tearing them down.

Back