Red Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch) Page 11

Started by jojobear13 November 30th, 2019 11:29 PM
  • 262 replies
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
160 posts
1.1 Years
I've been playing on Goomba and haven't been able to transfer save without starting over.
Go ahead and save in pallet town. Then post your save file here. I'll see what I can do in spite of goomba's format.

As for preserving your code changes for a v1.18 update, you'd probably be fine with either Git Pull or Git Rebase.
Author of Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green. Come say hello in the sideshow thread.

jastolze007

Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
302 posts
4 Years
Go ahead and save in pallet town. Then post your save file here. I'll see what I can do in spite of goomba's format.

As for preserving your code changes for a v1.18 update, you'd probably be fine with either Git Pull or Git Rebase.
I'll get to it when I can access my PC. Probably later today. I didn't know there was an option to pull only the changes from the source code on GitHub, but that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.

jastolze007

Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
302 posts
4 Years

Here's the .sav. I saved in the player's room in Pallet Town.
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
160 posts
1.1 Years
Here's the .sav. I saved in the player's room in Pallet Town.
Hmm...I'm not sure why this goomba sav is larger than 64 KB.

Regardless, I was able to extract the save data from the goomba .sav file into a raw gbc .sav format. I loaded it up in BGB emulator with a v1.18M rom. I got invisible walls but no crashes (as expected). I used the softlock teleport to reload the overworld and the invisible walls cleared (also as expected). Everything checks out. I attached the raw gbc .sav file for you as a backup.

I took the raw gbc .sav and compressed it back into the goomba .sav file. It was truncated to 64KB, but the compressed gbc save data should still be intact. It's also attached, so give it a try.
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
2 posts
39 Days
I recently did a hardcore nuzlocke (nuzlocke + no items, no overleveling, battle every trainer) and it was so fun (version 1.17). This romhack is amazing.

Though i have to point out something. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Hypnosis seems to have 100% accuracy (the AI missed 0 times with that, and used it quite a lot), and this makes Agatha way more difficult than the rest of the game. I had very little problems everywhere else, but I almost died there. I lost 1 pokemon and the rest ended up with ~10 HP each (and almost all asleep).

Also, the champion's Rhydon crit me like 4/8 hits. Assuming critical hits still work with base speed, that's odd. It might have been extremely bad luck, but just in case you want to look into it or something.

Anyway, excelent job!
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
160 posts
1.1 Years
I recently did a hardcore nuzlocke (nuzlocke + no items, no overleveling, battle every trainer) and it was so fun (version 1.17). This romhack is amazing.
Thank you. Glad you had fun. I'm kind of surprised the Rocket in Mt Moon with the raticate didn't end your run.

Though i have to point out something. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Hypnosis seems to have 100% accuracy (the AI missed 0 times with that, and used it quite a lot), and this makes Agatha way more difficult than the rest of the game. I had very little problems everywhere else, but I almost died there. I lost 1 pokemon and the rest ended up with ~10 HP each (and almost all asleep).

Also, the champion's Rhydon crit me like 4/8 hits. Assuming critical hits still work with base speed, that's odd. It might have been extremely bad luck, but just in case you want to look into it or something.
You just had abysmal luck. Like, Xcom levels of bad luck.

A note on move accuracy though. Retail red/blue had pretty poor rng to where 60% accuracy moves were actually more like 50% accuracy. Enemy status moves also had a flat 25% chance to miss on top of this to make the game easier. In retail red/blue, Agatha only has around 37% to 40% chance of actually landing hypnosis. She gets the full 60% accuracy in this hack, so that's a huge boost relative to the original games and you really feel it.

jastolze007

Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
302 posts
4 Years
I tested the .sav you made, but it lead to a new game being started. I believe I'm SOL when it comes to Goomba on my RevoK101 Plus. I'm pretty sure the reason its save file structure is larger is because it stores FW information in the save. Just a guess. Anyway, if you can absolutely guarantee if I start a new game, that I'll be able to go to my said Level cap without issues via that build you made, then I'll start fresh.
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
160 posts
1.1 Years
I tested the .sav you made, but it lead to a new game being started. I believe I'm SOL when it comes to Goomba on my RevoK101 Plus. I'm pretty sure the reason its save file structure is larger is because it stores FW information in the save. Just a guess. Anyway, if you can absolutely guarantee if I start a new game, that I'll be able to go to my said Level cap without issues via that build you made, then I'll start fresh.
What happens if you just use your original save but use an updated rom?

jastolze007

Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
302 posts
4 Years
What happens if you just use your original save but use an updated rom?
Normally, I can continue progress. But this rom specifically erased my save when I updated a few months ago. Same rom name and all. I had a backup fortunately.

I appreciate all the help you've given me regardless.
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
160 posts
1.1 Years
Normally, I can continue progress. But this rom specifically erased my save when I updated a few months ago. Same rom name and all. I had a backup fortunately.

I appreciate all the help you've given me regardless.

I think this is an issue with your K101 doing some kind of hash check. I'll see if I can bypass it.

I'm using a few different tools:
  • There's goombasav (I use GoombasavCore.WinForms.x64.exe).
  • Also the Revo save converter.
  • Goomba color.
  • And finally the good ol' VBA emulator.
  1. As before, I use goombasav to extract a raw gbc sav from your k101 sav.
  2. I use goomba color to compile the updated gbc rom into a gba rom.
  3. I open VBA, check my save type settings (automatic & 64k flash), and load the goombafied rom. I start a new game and then save the game after it drops me into the player's room. This generates a dummy VBA sav.
  4. I use goombasav again to load the VBA dummy sav. This time I use the raw gbc sav from before to replace the saved data in the dummy sav.
  5. I take the modified dummy sav and use it to fire up VBA with the goombafied rom. The saved game is detected and loads with invisible walls. Softlock teleport clears the invisible walls. Game is saved again. So far so good.
  6. I go into the gooba options (L + R) and go into and out of the save manager. This is just so that goomba updates its own save structure. This results in a cleaned VBA sav for the goombafied rom.
  7. Finally I use the Revo save converter to convert the cleaned VBA sav into a K101 sav. See attached.

So the file I ended up with is the same size as the file you initially posted. That's a good sign. But what a task it is to cut through not one but two special save structures. 136KB K101 save --> 32KB raw gbc save --> 64KB goomba GBA save --> 136 KB K101 save.

EDIT: You might want to replicate this process using your own compiled rom update just to make sure everything is consistent between the rom and the sav.

jastolze007

Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
302 posts
4 Years
I think this is an issue with your K101 doing some kind of hash check. I'll see if I can bypass it.

I'm using a few different tools:
  • There's goombasav (I use GoombasavCore.WinForms.x64.exe).
  • Also the Revo save converter.
  • Goomba color.
  • And finally the good ol' VBA emulator.
  1. As before, I use goombasav to extract a raw gbc sav from your k101 sav.
  2. I use goomba color to compile the updated gbc rom into a gba rom.
  3. I open VBA, check my save type settings (automatic & 64k flash), and load the goombafied rom. I start a new game and then save the game after it drops me into the player's room. This generates a dummy VBA sav.
  4. I use goombasav again to load the VBA dummy sav. This time I use the raw gbc sav from before to replace the saved data in the dummy sav.
  5. I take the modified dummy sav and use it to fire up VBA with the goombafied rom. The saved game is detected and loads with invisible walls. Softlock teleport clears the invisible walls. Game is saved again. So far so good.
  6. I go into the gooba options (L + R) and go into and out of the save manager. This is just so that goomba updates its own save structure. This results in a cleaned VBA sav for the goombafied rom.
  7. Finally I use the Revo save converter to convert the cleaned VBA sav into a K101 sav. See attached.

So the file I ended up with is the same size as the file you initially posted. That's a good sign. But what a task it is to cut through not one but two special save structures. 136KB K101 save --> 32KB raw gbc save --> 64KB goomba GBA save --> 136 KB K101 save.

EDIT: You might want to replicate this process using your own compiled rom update just to make sure everything is consistent between the rom and the sav.
Thanks for the help. I actually use the revo K save manager. But, what command line did you use to get it to work with gbc saves? For gba, I do a "Converter.exe" "Pokemon Mod" 128. And that allows me to use Revo GBA saves on VBA.
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
160 posts
1.1 Years
Thanks for the help. I actually use the revo K save manager. But, what command line did you use to get it to work with gbc saves? For gba, I do a "Converter.exe" "Pokemon Mod" 128. And that allows me to use Revo GBA saves on VBA.
There are two separate converter exe files. The one you are talking about is called K1toVBA. To convert in the other direction you need to use the other exe called VBA2K1 (it doesn’t use the 128 argument).