• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Halfcadence's Ultimate Muzzlocke Challenge

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Halfcadence's Ultimate Muzzlocke Challenge
(First thing's first: I didn't come up with this on my own. The concept is lifted from some of the optional rules from the first Communitylocke, organized by Reddit user Mattersofdarkness)

Welcome to what I'm calling a Muzzlocke (or Muzzle-locke, if you prefer. I think it's really clever) Also, subsequently, welcome to my slow descent into madness.......

Alright, so, core Nuzlocke rules apply here. The new part is that in gyms and during the E4, neither offensive nor defensive type advantage is to be used. This results in deeper strategy, hyper-specialized teams, and a f**kton of grinding. I might die.

I will have a infosheet for each run that I organize through Google Docs that will track progess. I will also post videos when I can of gym leaders and the like, in lieu of proper written updates.

Official Ruleset:
(core rules lifted from the Nuzlocke thread)

-Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be death-boxed
-Only the first encounter on each route can be caught
-Gift Pokemon aren't special, route roules still apply
-Trading is banned [in-game trades and trade evolutions are fine]
-Battle Style on SET
-No Legendaries
-Species Clause
-Pinwheel Clause (new area namecard = new route/catch)
-Shiny Clause
-No O-Powers
-No Pokemon Amie / Refresh
-No Mega Evolutions / Z-Crystals
-No super-effective moves may be used on gym trainers, gym leaders, trial captains, totem Pokemon, kahunas, Elite Four members, or champions.
-No Pokemon that resist/are immune to the thematic type of the gym/E4 member/etc may be used. Resisting secondary types or coverage moves is permitted
-Levels are capped at that of the next gym leader's/kahuna's/champion's ace.

For now I'm gonna do this for the first 5 gens. I'll see how I feel after that. I'm starting with LeafGreen.

Last edited:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
MASTERPOST
LeafGreen - COMPLETE
Spoiler:

SoulSilver - In Progress

Platinum - In Progress

Last edited:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
LeafGreen - Koga

Spoiler:

Newly Honored Dead
Spr_b_3f_135.png

Lento the Jolteon, Lv. 25-28: Selfdestruct from a Lv. 28 Weezing in Silph Co.
Spr_b_3r_017.png

Dipp the Pidgeotto, Lv. 2-27: Boosted Revenge from a Lv. 29 Machop in Silph Co. Thought I could one-shot it with Fly : /

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
LeafGreen - COMPLETE
Spoiler: Elite Four and Champion

Overall I would say this run was /exceptionally/ easier than I was expecting. From my limited experience in this sort of thing (in Emerald), this was quite the step down. Trainers in this game seem to not like coverage moves all that much, which makes team building significantly easier. Granted, a lot of careful planning on my part went into ensuring the run went as smoothly as I could make it, but the same was true with Emerald as well.

The MVP was without a doubt Sloan. The mixed bulk of Snorlax with the addition of Normal typing makes it the /perfect/ mon for this sort of thing. I feel like I cheated by giving it Belly Drum near the end, but hey, I'm just using the tools I'm given : p

One thing I do feel weird about is that because the Champion doesn't have a "thematic type", I used a bunch of resistances on him, making him probably one of the easier fights of the E4. I don't know if that was the right call to make on my part, but I'll think about that going forward

I'm sure the runs will start to ramp up in difficulty rather signicantly. After all, not every game will provide a Snorlax for me to lean on ; )​

FINAL TEAM
Spoiler:

On to HG/SS!

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Quick thing: updated the second post in the thread so it can act as a sort of hub going forward as a I get more and more runs in here.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
SoulSilver - Bugsy

Spoiler:

Back