• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: PKMN IsleGen/CaveGen - Generate Islands/Caves for Fire Red/Leaf Green.

RegisteelX

Too many days to get lost
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 21, 2023
Pokemon IsleGen/CaveGen
progress.png
Introduction
I had this idea for a romhack that played across multiple, small islands. After designing one myself I found out this proces was extremely tedious, and most of all, boring. So I decided to make this little tool who'd do the work for me. And well, I just wanted to share it with you guys incase anybody else would like to use it. Ofcourse the maps aren't meant to be production grade, but more of a base to expand upon. Then I wanted to make caves, so I made a cave generator.

Functions
I made this in about 3 hours, so functionality is basic but neat. Small glitches in terrain are to be expected. IT ONLY WORKS FOR FIRERED/LEAF GREEN BECAUSE OF THE TILESETS USED.

IsleGen
  • Generate Islands (mostly Island like terrain)
  • Generate mountains with 2 levels
  • Replace the top of mountains with grass
  • Place rocks in the water
  • Place rocks on the beach
  • Place flowers on the grass
  • Make the water surfable or not
  • Toggle movement view
  • Export your map for import in AdvancedMap
  • Variable map height and width

CaveGen
  • Generate Caves
  • Place random rocks around the cave
  • Toggle movement view
  • Export your map for import in AdvancedMap
  • Variable map height and width

Images
preview.png
Preview2.png

Download
It's made both java, so you'll need to install the Java Runtime Environment 8 first. Just run the .jar file and you're good to go.

IsleGen Version 1.0:
View attachment IsleGen v1.0.zip

CaveGen Version 1.0:
View attachment CaveGen v1.0.zip

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Yo... dude... This is incredible!

I just might have to make a minihack later this year with this with island hopping!

Thanks a mill!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
I'll have to try it out in a bit! Looks interesting.

Perhaps for a version 2 you could expand to other types of terrain? I'm pretty sure this is one of the first map generators out there, and your tool could easily become as commonly used as Gen 3 Tools or Intro Manager. Stake your claim to fame!

bluhacks263

"My first hack I'm making, a remake of Yellow on F
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jun 19, 2021
Looks good! Any chance you'll make generators for routes and forests? Not that I'm a lazy person or anything lol but I'm not so good at mapping and would like to use the generated stuff as a base.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I just tested it and it looks like it's working correctly in Windows 8.1
I messed a bit with the sliders, generated a .map file and Advance Map seems to recognize it.
Good job dude :)!
Advance_Map_2018-07-07_05-42-24.png

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
This is really awesome! Something like this is super useful. I love mapping but I hate having to design caves and islands. Maybe next you could add a water route designer? I hate making those too haha

RegisteelX

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 21, 2023
I want to make more generators, but I have already ran out of ideas.

If you hate making something or like a program to generate something for you, post your ideas here. (Route generation is not possible, I've looked into it but the routes generated look really basic and really boring/fake).

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Well, aside from a Water Route Generator like Trev suggested, how about a Forest Generator?
Or would those be as complicated to make as the regular routes generator?

Maybe a snowy cave generator, ala Seafoam Islands?
I don't think the concept can be reused that much more.

Years

If you hate making something or like a program to generate something for you, post your ideas here. (Route generation is not possible, I've looked into it but the routes generated look really basic and really boring/fake).

I haven't looked at the source code but I have a hard time believing it's "not possible". What parameters are you using? You should be able to set more parameters? For routes, you could force multiple levels, a range of ponds, at least x amount of grass tiles with a minimum size etc.

None the less, good job man! Definitely a huge help! Would be super cool if we could generate all types of environments. I hate mapping.

And feature request! Different tilesets. Would 100% use if I could load my tileset in. Even if I had to pull the hex data out and put it in some file.

Last edited:

RegisteelX

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 21, 2023
I haven't looked at the source code but I have a hard time believing it's "not possible". What parameters are you using? You should be able to set more parameters? For routes, you could force multiple levels, a range of ponds, at least x amount of grass tiles with a minimum size etc.

None the less, good job man! Definitely a huge help! Would be super cool if we could generate all types of environments. I hate mapping.

And feature request! Different tilesets. Would 100% use if I could load my tileset in. Even if I had to pull the hex data out and put it in some file.

Thank you for your feedback!

With not possible I do not mean that it's impossible to actually implement but that it's not possible to generate anything that is genuine. The feel of generated routes is incredibly stale and limited in scope due to the size restrictions. Ofcourse you can drop a few lakes here and there but they break up the scenery more than anything else. Unless I am somehow able to replicate the genuineness of handmade routes, I don't think it'll ever become something.

As for your custom tilesets, I will definitely be working on that!

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Aug 18, 2019

what about a generator that decorates a route with flowers and different grass tiles for people who aren't good at route decoration. this could apply to rocks and bushes as well.

Years
This is a really great resource. PRETTY COOL!

It may save some time for people working on rom hacks by themselves, or who need help with design ETC.

I'll mention if I use this in the future!! 😊

Back