• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on Other Metagames?

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen today
I was wondering if anyone has delved deeper into any of the Other Metagames (OM) that Smogon has to offer. These OMs usually bend some kind of rule or add some new mechanic into the game to make different things more interesting.

A simple example of an OM is STABMmons, where a Pok?mon can learn any move that it (or any of its evolutions) shares a type with. So for examples, Araquanid would be able to use any Bug-type move and Water-type move. This is limited to Pok?mon types that you can have in the Overworld - for example you can't have a Mega Gyarados in the Overworld, so you wouldn't be able to give normal Gyarados any Dark-type moves in this format.

Here is a link to the Smogon OM thread about STABmons.

A more complex example of an OM is one of the OMs of the month right now on Pok?mon Showdown: Benjamin Butterfree. In this format, when an evolved Pok?mon faints, it reverts to its pre-evolution with full health and reset stat boosts. This seems simple enough, but the reason why I call this complex is because it changes the mechanics of the game, whereas STABmons only changes teambuilding.

Here is a link to the Smogon OM thread about Benjamin Butterfree.

Do you play any OMs? Do any of these OMs seem interesting to you? Would you be interested in playing these some time in the future?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
Back when I actively battled, I loved to play Balanced Hackmons. Since I'm no longer really super serious and competitive in battling, I'd be down to play some OMs. STABmons seems cool too, but the thought of certain Steel-type stuff using Shift Gear is terrifying.

Years
I haven't played it enough but I really like Mix-and-Mega. It's a lot of fun to Team Build for and see what others come up with.

Back