• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gold hack: Pokemon Gold EX - 1st Patch Has Been Released!!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
ywGTL6M.png

(Title Screen is courtesy of Mateo and should be him that's credited)

Hack Name: Pokémon Gold EX
Hack Of: Pokémon Gold (USA)

Story of the Hack:
This hack started months ago one day when I was pretty bored at home with not much else to do. It was initially planned that the story of this hack would mostly stay the same with some added difficulty and other tidbits here and there as either Easter eggs or bonus content that you wouldn't find in the original gbc games. At the same time though, thanks to Mateo, this game wouldn't ever have gotten released as I would've never released the first patch for this hack. Needless to say, I owe him a lot for the help I've been receiving.

New Features:
-A new level curve for improved difficulty, as everyone knows Johto was one of the easier games of the main series
-All 251 pokemon will somehow be obtainable in this game. Including Legends, Starters, & Fossils. Also Silver and Crystal Exclusives.
-Revised Rival, Elite Four, Champion, Kanto, Trainer Red, and so forth.
-Some pokemon will be revised in both evolutions and also learn sets.
-Easter eggs will be here and there, one being in Ruins of the Alph. (Search the grass)
-New places to explore. (Although, not in this first patch)
-Updated Trainer Sprites and New Events

(Although the Sprites won't be added til the 2nd patch comes around due to unforseen problems, however, they've been done by yours truly)

Current Patch:
This first patch will contain everything from the Beginning and up to Ecruteak City/Route 38. But this first patch will include the Celebi GS Ball event, which you will obtain from Bill at the Pokémon Center in Ercuteak City.

Screenshots: [Will be inserted soon]

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7efzdfsqfhwj7w/Pokemon Gold EX (PokeCommunity Version).zip?dl=0

List of Tools Used: [Will be inserted soon]

Credits (And words of thanks):
Titlescreen Edit, Celebi GS Ball Event, random bug fixes - My friend Mateo, this couldn't of been possible without your help :)
Everything Else - BroRarity, a.k.a Discord's GBC/GBA Projects (Look this page up on Facebook!!)

I hope you guys have fun, enjoy!!
:)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
Could you make Venusaur learn Earthquake and Sludge Bomb by TM?
I figured Venusaur already could, but I can always try adding it in. I just need advice from Mateo on how to do so, as I'm really just a beginner at GBC hacking :)
I'm also planning to add screenshots of this game soon, but if anyone plays it and sends them to me, that'd be grand too.

One thing though, you probably won't have access to any of the Kanto starters in this first patch, but I do plan on adding them in sooner or later by the time I start working on either the 2nd or 3rd patch, depending if I make them Johto or Kanto available.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
So, how are you planning on distinguishing your hack from other Gen 2 hacks like Pyrite or TPP Anniversary?
Depends on what you mean by distinguishing it from other Gen 2 hacks, I'm not looking for my hack to be famous like Red++, or Brown, or Prism, or any other hack before mine. I'm just doing this out of fun and to see what I can accomplish for myself. This is my first project, its not really meant to be really special or anything like that, its just to meant to display myself as a beginner hacker and I'm always looking to improve myself.

So if I don't do or give results in what people are particularly looking for, then I'll try harder to give what they want, and if that doesn't work, then that's on them and I have nothing personal against them for it. Everyone has their own opinions on Pokémon hacks/reskins, as do I.

Tbh though, if somebody wants really small tidbits like Venusaur with Earthquake and Sludge Bomb. I'd be more than happy to do so. But if were talking on like a bunch of huge side projects that takes up a lot of my time and differentiates what I'm going for first intentionally. Then the answer would probably be no unless I feel obliged to do so.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
THE FIRST PATCH HAS BEEN RELEASED!!!

The zip file comes with the following,
1 BGB Emulator
1 "Pokémon Gold EX" IPS patch
1 Lunar IPS Tool
3 ReadMe's (A Disclaimer, a Changelog, which will be updated regularly, and also a tutorial on patching files (For newbs)

If anybody wants to send me screenshots, please PM me, as I'd love to use them on this thread. :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
I updated the OP a little and made it look a little cleaner than it was. :p
I hope people have been enjoying the first patch so far. I wouldn't mind hearing some constructive criticism that could help me improve :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
Is there a reason I haven't gotten any sort of feed back this week? Or is this a waste of my effort and time?

Zef

zef
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
the description makes it sound very basic when other bigger crystal hacks exist

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
Well excuse me if its basic, that's the entire point of this project I'm doing is to display what I can do so far as a BEGINNER -_-

If people are expeceting a completed Pok?mon Glazed or Pok?mon Prism, then I'm sorry to say, I'm not a damn miracle worker. Not to mention people with common courtesy can at least try the hack out and present me feedback on what I need to improve on or if I've made any mistakes. That's the whole point of this site is to learn is it not? Otherwise, a hack can't never make it anywhere or very far if the person creating it is by himself throughout the work effort.

Other than Mateo, I haven't had any help whatsoever, so if this project never finishes, its not my fault, its your own as I can't do anything if I have nothing to go on.

LucasDoA

Nothing but a Vocaloid
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 9, 2023
Hey, played this hack today, was nuzlocking it, having a lot of fun, but just saw the exits for Route 38 and Route 42 blocked, and end up here searching for a complete version. Hope you didn't gave up on the project.

Back