• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum tips (BB Codes, HTML Entities, and more)

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
You probably already know how to use BB Codes in here (the codes with the square brackets that either insert URLs, change your text's looks, or do other things), but there are few more things I could mention that you may not have known. ^^ I hope that's interesting for those users who are either new or didn't know they could do that. ;D
If you'd like to contribute to this topic, please post some of your own tips in here! =D

Different ways to write BB Codes
BB Codes in here are case-insensitive and don't require quotation marks, meaning you can write small text as small text and still receive small text.

What will work:
Code:
[SIZE="1"]small text[/SIZE]
[FONT='arvo']text with arvo font[/FONT]
#91;CoLoR="blue"]blue text[/cOlOr]
[size=5]large text[/size]
Note: The site doesn't care whether it's written upper- or lower-case, as long as you either have quotation marks surrounding the number/text, or have none surrounding them whatsoever. ^^

What won't work:
Code:
[SIZE="1]small text[/SIZE]
[FONT="arvo']text with arvo font[/FONT]
[CoLoR="blue"]blue text[/cOlOr]
[size=5']large text[/size]
Note: The text or number HAS to be surrounded by 2 identical quotation marks, or none at all. Curly quotation marks, or only using one quotation mark, are not allowed. >_>

More LIST and COLOR!
You all know that blue text makes blue text
and that
  1. an
  2. ordered
  3. list
creates
  1. an
  2. ordered
  3. list
but how many of you knew you could use more colors or lists?

Let me show some! ;D

blue text
Code:
[COLOR="#Blue"]blue text[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#0000FF"]blue text[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#00f"]blue text[/COLOR]
Note: #FFFFFF is a hexadecimal number, meaning each digit can be written as 0123456789ABCDEF which makes 16,777,216 colors to choose from. ;P
Most hackers here constantly deal with HEX colors in ROM hacks, but are mostly just allowed to use around 4 to 32,768 colors in their ROMs. =O
Anyways... the first two digits stand for the amount of red 00 means 0 (no) amount, FF means 255 (full) amount
The third and fourth digit stand for the amount of green, and the last two digits are the amount of blue.
Which means if we make red and green to the fullest, we receive yellow! (#FFFF00)
The hashtag/number symbol must always come at the beginning. Keep that in mind. ^^

The site doesn't support RGB, RGBA, HSL, HSLA, so these won't work:
Code:
[COLOR="rgb(0,0,255)"]blue text[/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgba(0,0,255)"]blue text[/COLOR]
[COLOR="hsl(240,100%,50%)"]blue text[/COLOR]
[COLOR="hsla(240,100%,50%)"]blue text[/COLOR]

• list in lower-case
  • alphabetical
  • order
Code:
[LIST=a]
[*]list in lower-case
[*]alphabetical
[*]order
[/LIST]
Note: it goes from a (1) to z (26), then aa (27) to zz (52), etc.

• list in upper-case
  • alphabetical
  • order
Code:
[LIST=A]
[*]list in upper-case
[*]alphabetical
[*]order
[/LIST]
Note: it goes from A (1) to Z (26), then AA (27) to ZZ (52), etc.

• list in lower-case
  • Roman
  • numerals
Code:
[LIST=i]
[*]list in lower-case
[*]Roman
[*]numerals
[/LIST]
Note: it goes i (1), ii (2), iii (3), iv (4), v (5), vi (6), vii (7), viii (8), ix (9), x (10), xi (11), etc.
Here;s what the following Roman numerals stand for:
i = 1     v = 5     x=10     l=50     
c=100     d=500     m=1,000

• list in upper-case
  • Roman
  • numerals
Code:
[LIST=I]
[*]list in upper-case
[*]Roman
[*]numerals
[/LIST]
Note: it goes I (1), II (2), III (3), IV (4), V (5), VI (6), VII (7), VIII (8), IX (9), X (10), XI (11), etc.
Here;s what the following Roman numerals stand for:
I = 1       V = 5       X = 10       L = 50     
C = 100      D = 500     M = 1,000

How to NOT insert a forum smiley
You all probably already know how to do it right, but let make sure to point out how NOT to do it, seeing how my previous tip may confuse people into trying upper-case smiley names! :pink_boogie:

What won't work
Code:
:PiNk_BoOgIe:
:PINK_BOOGIE:
:pink boogie:
: pink_boogie :
pink_boogie:
;pink_boogie;
Note: You have to write it exactly the way it's intended to be used. Don't add or remove characters, and don't write it in upper-/lower-case when it's not. *sweat*

HTML Entities
What's that? Some of you may ask... well, it allowed me to show BB Codes without actually using them and    add     spaces     when you usually can't do that. ;3

So how do you do that? Well...
If you post these in your messages, you can accomplish the following:
  =     more    spaces!
Code:
    more    spaces!
Bonus: The character I introduced isn't just a space, it's a non-breaking space, meaning you can combine words together and prevent them from getting separated because of the page's width.
Example: normal space (in between National and Pokédex) in a small window
"Did you know that Deoxys's number is 386 in the National
Pokédex?! I always thought it was 202!"

Example: non-breaking space (in between National and Pokédex) in a small window
"Did you know that Deoxys's number is 386 in the
National Pokédex?! I always thought it was 202!"

Code:
National Pokédex

[ = ability to turn certain BB Codes off
Code:
[B]ability to turn certain BB Codes off[/B]

Here are more ways to insert symbols into here. ^^
https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_html_ansi.asp
https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_html_symbols.asp
Note: You can use decimal and hexadecimal numbers, like for the bullet point • you can write • and #38;#x95;.
However, you may not use named entity names, because those won't work in the forum.

Kind-of-important note: When using [ do NOT hit Preview Post before submitting it, or Edit after submitting! All HTML entities will be turned into the character they're supposed to represent, and thus trying to turn off the certain BB Codes will turn them back on!
Before hitting Preview Post → [B]bold[/B]
After hitting Preview Postbold
Which means it will then read bold instead of bold in your post, making all your effort of using [ for nothing. *sweat*

Hope this helps! ^^
Does anyone else have some tips to share? =D

Extra:
  1. I tried seeing if you can make your font size bigger than 7 (like ) but it will still show as 7, so don't bother trying. ;D
    [*]You can technically use fonts that aren't in the drop-down-list (like ) but unless everyone has that font in their browser or computer/phone/whatever, they will only see the default font. *sweat*

Years
Hey there! We definitely do appreciate your efforts to help us out with general coding information here, but just so you know, HTML is not permissible for use on PC by any user.

Secondly, we already have a section in our forum FAQ detailing all available BB Code available for use here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

just an FYI :)

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
Hey there! We definitely do appreciate your efforts to help us out with general coding information here, but just so you know, HTML is not permissible for use on PC by any user.

Secondly, we already have a section in our forum FAQ detailing all available BB Code available for use here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

just an FYI :)

Well, everything I did was able to be used here. ^^ I wouldn't say stuff that doesn't work, like entity numbers are still functioning apparently. =) But I figured that actual HTML with the triangle brackets will not function here, like in most forums. ^^ We wouldn't want someone to start writing <script> and stuff in here. =)

As for the link... where did you find that? O_O I was looking all over the FAQ and could not find it! =O Do you have to search BB Code there?
Also you do have HR tag? That's great! =D I just didn't realize it needed an end tag to work. *sweat*

In addition to what Tsutarja said, we also have a thread on discussing CSS and a bit of HTML if that is also of interest to you.

Hehe, that topic does look pretty nice, actually! ^^ Might check it out later. =) Hmm... though I'd like to ask something in this suggestion section which shouldn't be too big of a topic. ^^ Also um, if you guys think that some topics like this one are unnecessary, I'm okay if you want to decide to delete them. We don't need a clutter in a section like suggestions if some topics aren't good enough to be in it. ;) I'd delete them myself, but I wouldn't know what topics of mine you would or wouldn't want here. =3

Anyways, thank you for the feedback! ^^ And I guess I could say that I wasn't really trying to explain the entirety of the BB Codes available (especially now knowing there is an actual list out there) but more point out a few little extras for those who were curious, like that the LIST tag supports more than just bullets and numbers 1,2,3,4... =) Guess playing Nintendo so much just makes me enjoy little extras here and there, and seeing how a lot of you played those games too, I was hoping this little extra would be fun to read. ^^

Thank you for taking your time to reply on this! =D *hugs both, unless you don't want that, then just shakes hand instead*

Back