• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokémon mainseries in-game timeline and when it takes place!

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Last week, I did a bit of research about the mainseries Pokémon timeline on Bulbapedia and did my own speculation.

I have worked out what year the games most likely take place.

If Generation I was released in 1995, like originally planned, the timeline would play out like this.

Gen I and III - 1995
Gen II and IV - 1998
Gen V (B/W) - 2001
Gen V (B2/W2) and Gen VI (X/Y) - 2003
Gen VII - 2005

With Generation I being released in 1996, the timeline would play out like this.

Gen I and III - 1996
Gen II and IV - 1999
Gen V (B/W) - 2002
Gen V (B2/W2) and Gen VI (X/Y) - 2004
Gen VII - 2006

It does make some sense, especially with some of the technology seen in the games (The bulky PCs in Gen I-III, then the flat screen PCs in Gen IV-VI and now the laptop-like PCs), there aren't any references to modern day events, celebrities, TV shows or anything. However, the game system in the player's bedroom does blow this out of the water and it also messes with the in-game timeline. Gen I and III and Gen II and IV are meant to take place three years apart, but FR/LG you have a NES and HG/SS you skip a few consoles and have a Wii.

I think with remakes, they killed the whole timeline.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
What makes you assume Pokemon calendar is the same as the real world counterpart?

I agree. You're better off assuming it's a different world entirely; the year doesn't matter anyway. Even in story based video games, the year is always vague like, 19XX and the like.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
Well, it was confirmed that Gens 1 and 3 take place at the same time, and same for Gens 2 and 4. BW takes place a number of years after 4, because Caitlin has visibly aged and the Rocket Grunt who stole the machine part tried to revive Team Rocket, failed, moved to Unova, married, and had a kid who uses the School Kid sprite. BW2 takes place two years later. XY takes place an unknown amount of years later, same with SM. SM takes place many years after Gens 1-5, as Red and Blue are now adults, Grimsley has also aged (and is implied to no longer be a member of the Unova Elite Four) and Anabel is now the Commissioner of the International Police Force. The only anomaly is Wally, who despite being the same age as Red and Blue, still looks like a preteen-aged boy in SM. However, it is possible that whatever aliment Wally had also stunted his growth, making him look younger than he actually is.

Back