• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Controversial Opinions

pkmin3033

- Madoka seems to be the most obvious one for me. I despise it, and everyone else adores it.
- I like the Utena movie more than the TV series. Amongst other things, they actually end up together in the movie.
- I've seen a lot of negativity around Cross Ange for its fanservice elements and it's my third favourite anime. Once you get past the rough start it tells a pretty great story with a surprising degree of self-awareness about its more questionable elements, which makes it more enjoyable for that. Plus it has Akiko Shikata on vocals for the OST and that immediately catapults it into a high spot for me.
- In the Precure fandom I am an outcast for hating HeartCatch and loving Suite. But the Precure fandom is a toxic cesspit of self-entitled fools so I don't lose much sleep over this.
- A lot of people seem to love Terror in Resonance and that is possibly the most boring anime I've ever watched tbh.

...there are more.

Years
The only one that actually comes to mind is that quite a few people I know really enjoyed/like Parasyte, and I'm just here like "that was not a fun watch and I did not enjoy that at all, unnecessarily violent and grotesque, and I didn't like the story, either."

Years
The only one that actually comes to mind is that quite a few people I know really enjoyed/like Parasyte, and I'm just here like "that was not a fun watch and I did not enjoy that at all, unnecessarily violent and grotesque, and I didn't like the story, either."

I haven't seen Parasyte so I can't really comment, but I think that sometimes people fail to understand that gore for the sake of gore isn't entertaining in the same way as gore for a storytelling purpose.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Granblue Fantasy is boring, and I don't see the hype. I heard there's LGBT characters, though, but I don't know. The anime put me to sleep, so.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Most long running, popular shonen could fall under this category. Dragon Ball <insert suffix here> has never interested me because of the art style and 34-episodes devoted to a single fight.

I watched one episode of Food Wars at an anime meetup, and found the main characters to all be unlikable. I haven't watched an episode since.

I don't hate it, but My Hero Academia is very average, IMO. It's not a standout by any means, but at least it's more watchable than its shonen competition.

Madoka is another "meh" series that I don't understand the popularity of.

Jojo is far too "bizarre" for me.

There's a lot of stuff I like that people don't really hate, because they've never heard of it.

Years
Mob Psycho is terrible. It's utterly unfunny, lifeless, and is excruciatingly painful to watch. The art style is also hideous.

Blue Exorcist is also just kind of meh. It's not horrible, it's just ok. Not exactly my cup of tea.

Fairy Tale is uninteresting and all of the characters are obnoxious. I couldn't even finish the first episode.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years

I agree with the above statement and also, I have completed all of the seasons thus far of My Hero Academia, and I have not been impressed. The best part of the entire series for me is Aizawa and often I find myself pausing during the middle of an episode to go do something else because I need a break from it that badly.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I really liked Sword Art Online throughout all the arcs I was able to watch. Kirito was a bit annoying at times but the soundtrack and graphics made it a really enjoyable experience for me. Can't mention that at my local anime club without being screamed at though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 28, 2021
Despite the horrendous fillers and all its flaws, I was really invested in Naruto.
One Punch Man and Attack on Titan were dope but Fate/Night: Zero is by far my favourite anime.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Cute girls doing cute things aren't "trash". Sometimes, it's really nice to relax to a series where characters aren't beating the shit out of eachother. Sure, there are some "cute girls doing cute things" anime I don't like, and I'm only watching those type of anime to relax after watching a heavy action anime... But they're not trash.

Although, on the other hand, I do find the isekai genre oversaturated. But Idk if that's a "controversial opinion" but I've just gotten really tired of them. There's only a handful of isekai I really actually like.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
Spirited Away was a really dull movie. The art is stunning, but the plot and slow pace bored me. Studio Ghibli's other films are fine though.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Gurren Lagann is overrated (yes I watched it)
Naruto franchise isn't as bad as everyone claims that it is. I like it
The above also applies to Bleach
The above also applies to One Piece
Michiko & Hacchin is an extremely bad anime
TPN S2 should have never been made. They should have just left it as S1. S2 was just a god damn dumpster fire and large ass manga commercial

This is all I can think of right now. I may add more if I think of more.

Back