• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

new player! help

Years
Hi! I'm super new to TCG and it's a little embarrassing to ask but can anyone give me some tips for beginners??? I was into Pokemon when I was younger and only recently got back into it because I started playing Pokemon GO lol... Something I never understood when I was younger was TCG and I thought it would be cool to try it out!

Are there packs anyone recommends I buy first? Does anyone have any tips to build up a deck?

Thanks! (:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
A good place to start is the TCG online, it's a free app that will run you through the basics of play and give you access to some of the theme decks to play around with

When you've gotten yourself accustomed with the rules and mechanics you can then start looking at decks.

Most people are going to tell you to buy two Mach Strike Theme decks and combine the core cards, this is probably the best start to make as you get access to Cynthia, Lucario and Garchomp which make an incredible combo.

Packs are fun but theyre an awful way to get good cards. Buying singles or playsets is infinitely cheaper

If you have any further questions or want any coaching feel free to contact me

Last edited:
Years
There was an old gameboy TCG game if you can find it and try it out, it will help you understand the very first basics of TCG I think!
Pkmn_tcg.jpg

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
There was an old gameboy TCG game if you can find it and try it out, it will help you understand the very first basics of TCG I think!
Pkmn_tcg.jpg

It's sadly wildly outdated, the game is very different now

Years
A good place to start is the TCG online, it's a free app that will run you through the basics of play and give you access to some of the theme decks to play around with

When you've gotten yourself accustomed with the rules and mechanics you can then start looking at decks.

Most people are going to tell you to buy two Mach Strike Theme decks and combine the core cards, this is probably the best start to make as you get access to Cynthia, Lucario and Garchomp which make an incredible combo.

Packs are fun but theyre an awful way to get good cards. Buying singles or playsets is infinitely cheaper

If you have any further questions or want any coaching feel free to contact me

Oh wow! This is really helpful! I was also debating on whether I should use PTCGO or not but I will start out with that first. The card pack advice was helpful too. I want good cards but I don't want to be spending a bunch of money to do so (college tuition is a pain lol). Thank you so much! (:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Oh wow! This is really helpful! I was also debating on whether I should use PTCGO or not but I will start out with that first. The card pack advice was helpful too. I want good cards but I don't want to be spending a bunch of money to do so (college tuition is a pain lol). Thank you so much! (:

Yeah, especially with some packs like Celestial Storm that are big, big sets. One of the current BDIFs (Best Deck<s> in format) costs about $70-$90 for everything as singles and the good thing about PTCG is that your core supporters and trainers will be the same or similar in most decks, so about half the cards will carry over between decks making future decks a lot cheaper to build

Back