• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The guidebooks

Years
These things:

51DN9bZDuSL._SX365_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Do you have memories of collecting them? Did you collect any of them at all? Did you actually use them? :o

I remember collecting the guidebooks since I started playing Ruby and I stopped getting them around... Platinum, I think? They were really fun to read and I never actually really used them for the gameplay itself, but rather because I just liked the general structure of the guidebooks and they always seemed more interesting to me to read through after I completed the game rather than reading as I played.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think that I still have our old Gold/Silver guidebook, lemme see if I can find it

edit: found it

potato quality cuz my phone can't take a pic worth a shit anymore for some reason
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Omg, yes! I adored these as a kid and loved going through them, even if I already knew most information. Felt great having the books in my hands. A Ruby and Sapphire guidebook was how I found out how to obtain the Regis too haha, with the internet not being as huge back then and us being on an unreliable dial-up connection.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I still own a bunch of my old pokemon guide books. I think I stopped buying them after third generation. I do actually own the Heart Gold and Soul Silver guide (vol.1), but it was given to me by a friend. I also own a couple of really weird pokemon guide books for generation 1 that were not endorsed by Nintendo so they have some weird information in them.

The guide books used to be pretty useful when I was a kid playing through the first three generations of pokemon games, when the internet was not really available to myself and my friends at that time. Some of the guide books I read multiple times over as a kid just for fun.
By the time generation 4 was out, everything that you ever needed to know about the games was online and very easy to access, so I didn't think I needed to buy the guide books any more.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I think that I still have our old Gold/Silver guidebook, lemme see if I can find it

edit: found it

potato quality cuz my phone can't take a pic worth a muk anymore for some reason
Spoiler:

Love the best of type of bug and rock is Hera/Scizor and Ttar. They knew these beasts were good even back then

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
These were like crack for me. I refused to play my game unless I had my guides so I could make sure I wasn't as playing the game right. These used to be so destroyed with the covers missing and the bindings taped up and written all over in.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Oh hey, good times. Wait, no...I'm actually still using them. I remember having a really small magazine guide written by an unofficial source, but it managed to get me through RSE pretty well. I didn't really get one of those big A4 ones until DP dropped, and while my copy has been tattered and torn with age, it's still perfectly readable as it was 10 years ago. In fact, I'm still collecting these strategy guides despite the internet existing just for consistency's sake, I have every single one right up to USUM!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I love the guidebooks! I have guidebooks for all of the main Pokemon games except X & Y for some reason.

I prefer using them rather than going online.. & I enjoy collecting them :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
A friend of mine just got the guide book for Ultra Sun and Moon and gave it to me. Holy crap at how thick it is. Makes the old ones look uber skinny.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
The Ultra Sun & Moon has almost 500 pages and that's without the Pokedex.

Might explain why Let's GO is stripped of abilities, natures, items(including Berries) and most Evolutions of Kanto Pokemon(limiting it to the original 151 plus Meltan and Alolan Variants to fill in the Type chart). I remember the Guide book for Yellow. I've long since lost it or threw it away but it was maybe 10 pages, if that?

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2019
I first discovered that guide books exsisted as kid when I saw one for Crystal and begged my mum for it, but she said it was too expensive for a 'magazine'. The first guide I got was for Ruby/Sapphire, followed by ones for Firered/Leafgreen, Emerald, Diamond/Pearl, and Heartgold/Soulsilver. I used to use these all the time, until the internet took over, and then I didn't get another one until recently when I picked a hardcover Sun/Moon guide really cheap, but so far it's just sat on my shelf not being used XD

Back