• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other OPEN] Gangs of Chaos [M] [OOC]

Khawill

<3
Years

199.jpg

-- Gangs of Chaos --

It's the dawn of prohibition era and three major gangs have made massive headlines lately. The three gangs, The Torches, The Rooks, and the Verassos have dived into the organized crime with a number of special tricks. Members have been reported and seen doing miraculous and magical things, shooting their reputations and notoriety up among rival gangs and police alike.

You are a member of one of three gangs that have sprouted around the original gifted humans. The three are constantly fighting over territory in New York City, and you are entangled in the chaos one way or another. It doesn?t matter why, maybe you joined because of your leader?s charisma, or to make money, or protect yourself, all that matters is that you work with loyalty and resolve.

In your gang, perhaps you do something big for them, and it shoots you up the ranks. You?re offered the power to be unrivaled, and you take it. Your leader personally takes you to the source of the power, the soul of an old god in the form of a expressionless, black eyed human. You?re warned that looking into the eyes of the woman can drive you into madness, but if you can cling to your humanity and reign in your sanity, you?ll be gifted a power you desire at a price. Maybe you give up your feelings, or your sense of smell. Maybe you offer your soul, or the soul of others. The more value it has for you, the stronger your gift will be.

No matter who you are, if you accept the powers, the old god will take roots in your mind, and drive you to do things you would never do. Maybe you resist it, and let your mind wear out, or accept it and satisfy your own goals while spreading the chaos that comes with being intimately tied to an old god.

The Torches of St. Marie
Leader: Bridget Quinn
Territory: The Bronx

Bridget
Spoiler:

Ryan Kinney
Spoiler:

The Rooks
Leader: Malik Muhammad Davis
Territory: Harlem
Malik Muhammad Davis
Spoiler:

Jimmy Olsen
Spoiler:

Verasso Family Mafia
Leader: Antonio Verasso
Territory: Western Queens and Brooklyn
Spoiler:

Vincent Ferrari
Spoiler:

Notes
Things to keep in mind
Spoiler:

Boroughs of New York
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Accepted Players (0/9)
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Desired Gang: Verasso Family Mafia

Name: Giuseppe "Joey" Ferretti

Race: Italian

Personality: Giuseppe, or Joey to his friends, is... actually, anyone can call him Joey. It's a nice name, why only let his friends call him that? You know what? Everyone's his friend, so there's that out of the way, too! Joey is a bright and positively chipper lad, who has remained largely apathetic to the politics surrounding him. His philosophy is to keep his head down, so that he doesn't end up with a target on it. As such, he comes across as accommodating, friendly, and a bit of a doormat. He genuinely believes in helping out where he can, because being nice to people will open all kinds of doors for him. Literally and metaphorically. At his core, he's looking out for himself, using charm and grace to get what his lack of strength and force never could give him. After all, he'd rather make a new friend than a new enemy.

History: Joey was very young when his mother died, so young he doesn't even remember her. He was raised by his father Marlon and uncle Andre, who owned a restaurant. When Marlon was drafted to fight in the Great War, Joey was raised solely by his uncle, who taught the lad a little about the family business. The restaurant was merely a facade, and Andre was actually a thief and smuggler. A plan to steal foreign art and smuggle it into the country led to Marlon's death and posthumous dishonorable discharge. In his grief, a drunken Uncle Andre revealed to Joey that the two weren't brothers, but lovers, hiding the truth from the world. Unfortunately, Marlon being caught in the act led to Andre being put under scrutiny by the law, and he was forced to go to the local Mafia for protection, leading to Joey's induction as well.

Goal: More than anything, Joey wants a quiet life. Working for the Verasso family has kept him safe, and certainly given him an exciting life, but it's not the life he wants. He plans to retire to a small community, maybe run a business, meet a nice girl... He doesn't have it all figured out, but he looks forward to a comfortable retirement.

Fears: More than anything, Joey fears losing. He lost his father to the war, and his "uncle" to the bottle, so the thought of losing the safety the Family provides, of losing his freedom... the thought of ever being less than he is now terrifies him. Behind his chipper attitude hides a fear of inadequacy, of no longer being needed, like Uncle Andre. He also has an irrational fear of birds.

Bond: Joey feels his compassion and empathy are the most important parts of humanity. He can understand the people around him, so he can understand the world. And if he can understand it, he can change it. In small, subtle ways, of course, but he believes that anyone can make something of themselves, and has the freedom to make their lives better.

Achievement: Grand achievements and feats of skill have never been Joey's style, but he gained recognition for his ingenuity. On a routine assignment (bringing lunch to a Mafia lieutenant, of all things), he learned that the lieutenant was reporting to the police, trying to replace Antonio as boss. He could have simply reported his findings, but in a flash of inspiration, he changed some numbers in the books, making it look like the lieutenant was responsible for the jobs and setting up Antonio as a fall guy. Not only did the police arrest the traitor, but the jobs he had compromised could no longer be connected to Antonio. This simple act caught the boss's attention, and he realised that Joey had been a constant, loyal presence for years, putting the Family's well being over his own ambition. Antonio felt this long-term, quiet loyalty deserved reward just as much as any grand gesture would, and brought Joey into the inner circle, and showing him to the Old God.

Khawill

<3
Years
Welcome to the Verasso family Joey. You are accepted and you have been given the ability of shields that are based on your willpower, and regeneration for as long as you choose to steal the life from people

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Hey!

I've been interested in this since it went up, but something's blocking me from working on an app any further than I have. Mind, I have a character concept, but the 1920's setting is really proving to be an obstacle. You encouraged background research on the era -- a request that's totally plausible, but research on its own won't be enough to inspire me to write!

If it's not too much of s bother, might I suggest more setting development on your behalf, Khawil? Just giving me and anyone else on the sidelines more of a 20's vibe, one we don't have to impose ourselves. Even just a synopsis or timeline of crucial events would really help, I think, and it would just make things more accessible.

Khawill

<3
Years
Hey!

I've been interested in this since it went up, but something's blocking me from working on an app any further than I have. Mind, I have a character concept, but the 1920's setting is really proving to be an obstacle. You encouraged background research on the era -- a request that's totally plausible, but research on its own won't be enough to inspire me to write!

If it's not too much of s bother, might I suggest more setting development on your behalf, Khawil? Just giving me and anyone else on the sidelines more of a 20's vibe, one we don't have to impose ourselves. Even just a synopsis or timeline of crucial events would really help, I think, and it would just make things more accessible.

Absolutely.

So the RP starts just around June of 1920. A year and a half has passed since the end of WW1 (The Great War), and with that there is an air of dread and cynicism coming from veterans (who endured trench warfare, chemical warfare, etc) and civilians. During 1918 and 1919, a deadly influenza outbreak killed many worldwide, killing nearly 600,000 americans. Communism and anarchism are sensitive topics and major fears for the public (due to violent incidents in the previous year in various countries and a serious of bombings throughout the summer of 1919 in numerous American cities), and in January several thousand suspected of supporting these were arrested in major cities. A civil war in Russia has been going on since the end of WW1 and in 1919 the communist party is winning. Also affecting the public is the outlawing of alcohol on the 16th of January and a refusal from the USA to join the League of Nations later on in that month.

In February, the Nazi party is formed (or rather the German workers party renames itself under Hitler). The public in general doesn't think much of the party, and the importance of this is under-shadowed by the inability to see the future and the fact that the united states senate refuses the treaty of Versailles, Congress follows suit in March.

Now, although its called the "Roaring 20s" the economy doesn't start kicking until around '23, with the years before that mostly being recovery and growth. Civil rights for both minorities and women are starting to take root. Earlier last year in 1919, the Senate voted to pass an amendment to allow women to vote, although it has not yet been written in. African Americans are beginning to flourish culturally, and while the popularity of Jazz is underground, in only a year, it will grow to become popular throughout New York.

Jazz and Dancing are popular in this era, with Dance clubs being popular spots for anyone who is anyone. Going into all of the crazy dances that caught on would be tedious, but the major pastime and hangout instead of drinking was dancing. Other pastimes are silent films, (if you're rich enough) taking your car out, and going to illegal speakeasies run by gangs. F. Scott Fitzgerald released his first hit in March, making him a celebrity of the time. Talk of movies killing Broadway is about, but ends up being wrong. Radio will catch on as a home device that one can tune into for music and news, although at this point in 1920, there are not many thoughts on it.

Science side, both Einstein and Sigmund Freud are popular around the world, Einstein for his general relativity theories, and Freud for his psychological theories.

News does not travel fast in this era. Newspapers and word of mouth are the main sources of information for an average citizen. Muckrackers are big around this time, exposing all sorts of government issues and scandals. Much like today, Newspapers feature "clickbaity" headlines, often about crimes, scandals, or political scares. African American run papers flourish in big cities, giving a political voice to the mistreated group.

In Summary
-Post War Depression and Cynicism (and the hope that The Great War is the last war)
-Rise of African American Culture
-Fears of Communists and Anarchists
-The outlawing of Alcohol

Are some of the things that define America in 1920. As the years go by (the RP will ideally end in 1929, the start of the Great Depression), more historical, as well as slightly fictional events will go on, and the things that have already changed for this RP are mostly important within the RPs context (The famous gangs of the 1920s won't be present in this RP, although things they did will be performed by fictional gangs).

I hope this is adequate enough for you, even though it is terribly abridged. The time leading up to 1920 was incredibly chaotic. 60 years prior, the civil war ended which means that there are people alive who remember a divided America. Additionally, WW1 was such a drastically different war than any other, and so inhumane and bloody, that many of the people alive are on edge and open for any distraction (an ironic state to be in as prohibition sets in). This Wikipedia article is likely your easiest bet for general research in the era

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
& thank you for the in-depth outline of the era. I thought I'd have an app to present with that message but it's unfortunately still a work in-prog. Hopefully it'll be completed soon, but feel free to check in. I can definitely share what details I have.

Last edited:

Khawill

<3
Years
& thank you for the in-depth outline of the era. I thought I'd have an app to present with that message but it's unfortunately still a work in-prog. Hopefully it'll be completed soon, but feel free to check in. I can definitely share what details I have.

Take your time, I'd rather a character you're confident in and have spent time on over a character that you rushed out.

Back