• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Masterquest (BETA 2 December 2020)

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Man I love this beta so much!... To list All the things I like about it would take up half a full page!

Eventhough I'm playing this game as a beta tester, it has not taken anything away from the richness of this game at all!!
.... the colorful storylines, the difficulty curves, seeing some of my old poke favorites from 1st gen.. in 3rd gen gaming with their old school battle sprites i missed so much!.. the multiple rivals.. the additional content you can play in it... the nicely done the kanto remapping, makes it so fresh!
..... Even for playing a beta that's rough around the edges, this game is Awesome!

Many thanks! Look forward to your thoughts on the rest of the Beta!

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Well just started and I wasn't able to nickname my starter for some reason, I clicked yes and it acted like a clicked no.

Also just a question but will there be a physical Special Split in the future? (If it doesn't already and just not showing like in other hacks) A lot of mons I like to use a useless in gen 3 setting but I don't really mind if you don't plan on putting it in.

Noticed that error too. With the nickname. Working on addressing it. Thanks!

As for not, no physical and special split planned. However, this may change. Will see if implementing a patch messes with other parts of the rom hack.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 19, 2020
I played a bit through it but I have to say I'll wait for next beta cause honestly the encounters on the routes between Pallet Town and the first gym are horrible. Mankey being a rare encounter does not help either due to my Pokemon OCD wanting good nature for it. (And the fact I only knew it was there by nature hunting for a Jolly or Adament Pidgey that took forever to find.)

Adding a Nidoran to the encounters would easily fix it for me (Unless its a really rare like Mankey).

I really like a game where you could be a bad guy but the encounters suck so much and did you change the critical ratio? The wild and trainers get critical hits every other turn.

Hope I don't sound like I'm just hating on your game but this is my honest feedback for now and I do like games like this very much.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I played a bit through it but I have to say I'll wait for next beta cause honestly the encounters on the routes between Pallet Town and the first gym are horrible. Mankey being a rare encounter does not help either due to my Pokemon OCD wanting good nature for it. (And the fact I only knew it was there by nature hunting for a Jolly or Adament Pidgey that took forever to find.)

Adding a Nidoran to the encounters would easily fix it for me (Unless its a really rare like Mankey).

I really like a game where you could be a bad guy but the encounters suck so much and did you change the critical ratio? The wild and trainers get critical hits every other turn.

Hope I don't sound like I'm just hating on your game but this is my honest feedback for now and I do like games like this very much.

No worries, appreciate all comments.

1. Nope, no changes to critical hit ratio.
2. Noted on encounters, will have a look again at Route 1, Viridian Forrest and Route 2 encounters and see if fair representation is given to Pokemon in that route. (I believe Route 2 does feature both Nidoran in the grass)

MQ

Years
is there any discord server for this rom, if it has please put that in the thread so we can join it coz we really wait this game, please!!

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
is there any discord server for this rom, if it has please put that in the thread so we can join it coz we really wait this game, please!!

Hmm, haven't considered a Discord server yet but we might when we launch the second Beta. Hopefully to have something out by Oct. At least 7 to 8 gyms

MQ

Last edited:

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Sorry for asking but, where can I find wild squirtle? is to have the 3 kanto starters

EDIT:forget it, I found it
Ah alright, you got it.

Location of starters are as follows:

Viridian Forrest and Hidden Village - Bulbasaur
Mt. Moon, cave 1 - Charmander
Bill's Garden - Squirtle (you can find Eevee here as well albeit both are rare encounters)

MQ

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Any updates on the game?

No updates yet. :)

They're smoothing out the edges of it still (I'm testing through it). Also, still a lot of content to add and they're working on it. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Just finished your beta and it was amazing. Great work man keep it up can't wait for the next beta. The maps look awesome and are probably my favourite part of the hack so far, followed by the wild encounters then the story. I'm enjoying the trainers scaling with your levels, it's a nice added difficulty. All in all awesome work!

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Thanks for the kind words :)

Progress has been slow but hopefully Kanto will be done by end of year.

MQ

Did you have time to sit with the scripts to see about adding a Name Rater? :)

.... lol, bump!

Last edited:

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
Years
From the feedback and screenshots, this hack looks as if it would be really fun to get into. Alas, I would like to hold off until there is a little more than lavender town. Any planned release date yet, or no?

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
From the feedback and screenshots, this hack looks as if it would be really fun to get into. Alas, I would like to hold off until there is a little more than lavender town. Any planned release date yet, or no?

As of this point in time, it's still a ways in the future... but by the looks of it, more like towards the end of this year or the beginning of next year.
Celadon & a couple routes have been figured into the game (for next beta), but everything else beyond that point is still getting ironed out.

Allen Ceedos

The Old School PokeFan
Years
Double thumbs up for what you've put out so far in this game. I'm a big fan of the Gen 1 to 3 games so when I found MasterQuest & read that it contains an expanded Kanto region + a fresh story, I dove right in haha. Am curious about what you have in mind for the HM system, seeing as there wasn't any link between them & the badges so far...& no HMs found yet. Are you guys going to have HMs in the game or you'll have a game that won't require HMs for the sake of progression? Can't wait for the installment & even if it's still far away, I'm looking forward to what you do in Johto.

Back