• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tallahase Shooting

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
The police have yet to state a motive for this, though looking at news articles it's highly likely that his motivation has to do with the fact that he was an incel.

In the US, federal law prohibits convicted felons from buying and owning guns, and it seems that this is the case in the state of Florida as well. The issue though is that while the guy was arrested and had police called on him more than once, he was never actually convicted of anything, and so he was not a registered felon.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
UPDATE: The suspect is confirmed to have uploaded videos on YouTube in 2014 that included rants about an "Invasion" from Central America and using slurs to describe women who dated African Americans men.

Alyssandra

in Wonderland
Years
UPDATE: The suspect is confirmed to have uploaded videos on YouTube in 2014 that included rants about an "Invasion" from Central America and using slurs to describe women who dated African Americans men.

Elliot Rodgers 2.0, though more like 8000.0 or more. I have been following Reddits that post the stuff incels say on the darknet, and it is absolutely horrifying to read what their ideal society looks like. For women, they?ll never see it, as not much is visible from windowless basement cells.

There needs to be better law enforcement in terms of uttering threats or sharing harmful/abusive desires and motivations online. I get there is freedom of expression, but that does not mean it should be legal to collaborate ways to harm women, non-Caucasian men and children of all ethnicities. It should be treated similar to looking up how to build bombs.

Years
When will people learn... And alyssandra, I agree with your statement. Just because you have free speech doesn't mean you can hurl slurs around like nobody's business. Hate speech should be outlawed no matter what.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Can we ever go a week without a shooting in the United States? I'm tired of this. Something needs to be done about gun laws. Also, not to echo the user above me, but I do agree hate speech should be made illegal.

Years

I'm not that up on this situation, but here's the thing; inciting violence is not protected by the first amendment, nor is it protected in most other countries either. If at any point this person was suggesting violent actions should be undertaken then they were waving their right to free speech. Similarly, if he was presenting his own discriminatory views as fact then that would be slander which is also not protected by free speech and as such he was waving the right there also.

It's totally possible to be pro free speech without fully embracing hate speech as a part of that freedom. There's a world of difference between "I personally hate this group because of x reason" and "these people should all leave or die because they're x bs reason".

As far as this case goes, I cant say for sure which case it is because it's not news story I particularly know much about. So I can't really make any judgement calls there but the notion that hate speech in its entirety is protected is inherently false and the video you posted explains that itself albeit unintentionally.

As for the shooting? I doubt censoring him would have made an ounce of difference. The bigger concern here was, as per usual, a person who really shouldn't have been able to get their hands on a gun was easily able to get their hands on a gun.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Elliot Rodgers 2.0, though more like 8000.0 or more. I have been following Reddits that post the stuff incels say on the darknet, and it is absolutely horrifying to read what their ideal society looks like. For women, they'll never see it, as not much is visible from windowless basement cells.
Dark side of the internet lets idiots support each other in their stupidity.

There needs to be better law enforcement in terms of uttering threats or sharing harmful/abusive desires and motivations online. I get there is freedom of expression, but that does not mean it should be legal to collaborate ways to harm women, non-Caucasian men and children of all ethnicities. It should be treated similar to looking up how to build bombs.
1st, why not just say "harm people" instead of adding qualifiers? DO you think its okay to harm Caucasian men?
2nd, it is completely legal to look up how to build bombs. It's illegal to build bombs. It's hard to prosecute ideas over actions. People can sit around and bullshit over getting back at society or whoever and as long as that is as far as it goes, its completely legal.

When will people learn... And alyssandra, I agree with your statement. Just because you have free speech doesn't mean you can hurl slurs around like nobody's business. Hate speech should be outlawed no matter what.
THen you no longer have free speech. You have government controlled speech. No thanks. Hate speech laws end up being biased against groups of people.

I'm not that up on this situation, but here's the thing; inciting violence is not protected by the first amendment, nor is it protected in most other countries either. If at any point this person was suggesting violent actions should be undertaken then they were waving their right to free speech.
Not quite correct. You still have free speech. You can suggest things but for incitement to be criminally prosecutable, it has be "intended, likely and imminent". "We should send all the ++++ back to ++++++." is not incitement while screaming "burn this ++++++ down" to a group of angry protestors who immediately do so is.

https://freespeechdebate.com/case/the-brandenburg-test-for-incitement-to-violence/

Similarly, if he was presenting his own discriminatory views as fact then that would be slander which is also not protected by free speech and as such he was waving the right there also.
Slander is specific. "All ++++++ are violent" is bigoted by not slander but "John is a violent ******because of ********" could be slander. If he actually is violent or has a record involving a violent action, then it isn't.

It's totally possible to be pro free speech without fully embracing hate speech as a part of that freedom. There's a world of difference between "I personally hate this group because of x reason" and "these people should all leave or die because they're x bs reason".

As far as this case goes, I cant say for sure which case it is because it's not news story I particularly know much about. So I can't really make any judgement calls there but the notion that hate speech in its entirety is protected is inherently false and the video you posted explains that itself albeit unintentionally.
Speech is speech under US law. Once you start defining hate speech, where does it stop?

As for the shooting? I doubt censoring him would have made an ounce of difference. The bigger concern here was, as per usual, a person who really shouldn't have been able to get their hands on a gun was easily able to get their hands on a gun.
Saw plenty of chances for people to prosecute this guy and people choose not to.

Back