• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Lion King (SNES) - Text/Images

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Toujours said:
Thinking of doing a text/image based LP. Can't decide what on though.

machomuu said:
Do Lion King SNES. You know you want to.

MGPB0IV.gif
MGPB0IV.gif
MGPB0IV.gif

rcXw2mp.png

This game is...very difficult. Pretty, but difficult. I have memories of playing this game for hours and hours and hours as a child, and then using the music option to listen to Lion King songs for the rest of the night. Now, looking back on it as an adult, I have no idea how far I got or even how many levels there are, and it's a whole new experience! Join me in my descent into madness as I die over and over again on every level :)

Part 1: It Starts

I started out this game fairly confident. "I can do this!" I told myself. "I beat Putt Putt Goes to the Parade the other day!" Even with the knowledge that I had started this game about a week ago and quit, I convinced myself that it was just because I didn't feel like playing anymore. So I started up the game, prepared to breeze through.

lPbm9v5.png

I am a lion. I am strong. I am...killing lizards.

qkjpqAa.png

Wouldn't that horn hurt me? I don't understand! I deduce that the bars on the top left and top right must be some kind of roar and health meters respectively, but the roar meter refills randomly and I don't need to have anything in it to roar. I don't get it.

j67N0NP.png

MOVIE DISCREPANCY: Simba hated bugs until he left the Pridelands and ran into Timon and Pumbaa! There are bugs all over the damn place, and I just don't g--IS THAT A 1UP

5956cxR.png

I want. Must find a way to get there. I've been climbing up this whole time, maybe I just need to get up high enough and over to the right?

18uAGEr.png

In my excitement, I pounce on unsuspecting hedgehogs. Why won't you just share the hedge, hedgehogs?

xScKg2A.png

These explode. I don't know why. Because variety? Why can I eat the other bugs but not this one? Lion King you have some explaining to do.

XN4EuMD.png

Save point! Awesome! I haven't done anything worth saving though yet. Guess it can't hurt.

jFG2s8K.png

I see a bug I can eat! I bet that's extra points! (Does this game have points?) I wonder if I can jump up there...

RJIflNe.png

Nopenopenopenopeahhhhhhhh

NljsJo2.png

Thunk. Had to climb alllll the way back up. But once I got to the top...

49RxWF3.png

Save point! I remember this part. Time to tumble down and fight a hyena, right?

OvEMmCs.png

9U5ZdxX.png

I KNOW YOUR TRICKS HYENA. YOU CAN ONLY JUMP SO HIGH.

0Ycji9g.png

BOINK. TAKE THAT, HYENA.

IM3LTUv.png

YEAHHHHH. I'M THE BEST. ROAR.

XC2ramS.png

Cute between-level pixel art! "Everything the light touches is our kingdom." I'm ready for the next level. I'm pumped. I didn't die once. I'm the best!

MegxeUr.png

I like roaring! I like monkeys! And I'm digging this background music. I am confident in my abilities to best this game now.

fqMuf3J.png

Get out of my way, giraffes! Lion comin through!

wWUkyRO.png

Toooooo easy.

gkfhIEZ.png

Roar at monkeys, right? I can do that. If I remember correctly, you're supposed to roar at all the pink ones and none of the blue ones, right?

G420ZKK.png

What why are they throwing me I'm just an itty bitty lion I don't understand this put me down

sdHMlhy.png

Cool, guess I was right about the roaring at pink monkeys. Why only the girl monkeys, DISNEY???

Grl2SZY.png

Okay, riding pink ostrich. Need to jump/duck. Got it. Did this happen in the movie?

Volqj3e.png

Note: taking this picture resulted in my first death.

1jULgQ8.png

After I went through all that AGAIN, I was certain I just needed to stop taking perfect-timing screenshots and just play and I'd get through this part no problem.

0qpvhQh.png

Two deaths later...

10DYLq0.png

I don't understand...all I have to do is jump...why can't I jump right...

AUnCaVP.png

SgWOuGm.png

LiPFU6c.png

WHY DISNEY, WHY. Every one of these deaths was at the same point in the level - jumping twice over a tree and a...pink hippo, I think it is. I start to swear.

b7UrL8I.png

I don't know what this means. Doesn't that mean I just start the level over? They can't start me from the first level again, right?

rcXw2mp.png

...What.

lPbm9v5.png

NO. I ALREADY DID THIS.

f3fKBJZ.png

I never got the 1up! Must have been in that tree I couldn't figure out how to climb.

m2pk9ho.png

5mCbP6Z.png

Not going to lie, this is when the savestates started. I estimate that I would have had at least 3 or 4 more game overs if I had not used save states. Finally I make it past the godforsaken pink ostrich.

AgGwtEG.png

This is like the movie right? So I have to knock them over? ...No?

vpuzALY.png

You'd think the rhinos would be more upset by this. Kitty claws in your tail?

8bBlMEO.png

...I fell in the water. :( I guess Simba can't swim.

IDllXmu.png

See that itty-bitty splash near the rhino's leg? That's me!! This is just swinging from rhino tail to rhino tail, this should not be so difficult. I'm starting to question my intelligence.

HzhI1yP.png

Endless save states later, the other side gives me a 1up. Success!

hEOh4Sa.png

I know there's a sun-thing (I guess kinda like a life?) on the other side of this tail. Can I reach it? Do I dare try?

A2xw6Qv.png

I'M GOING FOR IT YOU GUYS

1zCXuHd.png

... :( Bad decision. Why'd you make me go for it.

OuTZJi4.png

Oh THIS is what you do! Stand on the hippo's head! Got it.

TYruy5D.png

Sun acquired. Now to get out of here without dying.

qk8ZP2G.png

WHAT NO. I thought we were done with this, video game!!!

W2tzGcM.png

Many, many save states later...I've lost my confidence in this game. I will never escape this level. I will be in over-saturated hell forever.

KHZ8v6L.png

This roar is not a roar of pride. It is a roar of frustration. Of anger. I will roar at the monkeys. But I won't be happy about it.

JaRmSij.png

I4y4n8k.png

An obtainable 1up! Note I sunk into the water multiple times getting it. I suck at this. I don't deserve to be playing this game.

5vwZi9J.png

I just...I don't even have the will to roar anymore. You can rest, pink monkey. I'll roar at some blue monkeys instead.

wY0P8FH.png

It took me this long in the game to realize roaring at blue monkeys does jack squat. I cry a little inside. I roar at everything until something unlocks and I am thrown down another giraffe. I pray no pink ostrich is at the end to deliver me.

H7KKDcP.png

And thus, I enter the third level! And here ends Part 1 of my kill-myself LP.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Oh my God, haha. Loving how often you had to use savestates just to progress a little bit further! XD Were the ostrich sections really that hard? I heard bad things about the game (as in it's difficult, of course) but I was never really sure. Guess this just proves things. Can't wait to read more, Toujie! (:

Years
Toujours, I may have never played this (blame it for me growing up with PSone) but I have heard about this game a lot, especially how hard it is. But that won't stop me from commenting here! I actually like the nice colors and the fact how some scenes heavily resemble those in the film.

I remember reading on TV Tropes that there was this level involving a tricky monkey puzzle which was so hard it resulted in kids ragequitting, despite only being the second level in the entire game. I think it's on the page called That One Level or something on the TV Tropes website.

But yeah, can't wait for more updates from ya Toujie!

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Thanks again for the great memories, I have not played the game in so many years. Hardest part is coming up!! I struggled a lot when I played it too, never could pass the Elephant Graveyard. Thanks again Toujours, can't wait to see more.

Back