The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacks Studio Sideshow Showcase
Featured Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

Old July 19th, 2016 (1:42 PM).

Nature: Gentle
    A little question ¿how to evolve eevee to sylveon?

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 19th, 2016 (11:15 PM).
    Nasty Plotting

Nature: Calm
      Nuzlocke: Beaten Red
      Caught: 72
      total RIP: 18 (including lvl77 typhlosion who died to pikachu's surf in the red battle ㅠㅠ)
      Money left: 361248

SING, BOOST(x items) AND SWEEP
      thanks for the fun hack, awaiting for your updates before i attempt a new journey to catch all the mons as well :-)

Old July 19th, 2016 (11:40 PM).

Nature: Careful
        Jarsurf: Use a Shiny Stone. There's one in National Park.

Murkrow: Awesome. :) Did you do the post-Red mission? Also, how was the leveling curve? My guess is that up to the Elite 4 would be okay, since only the leaders were somewhat buffed, but in Kanto the leaders get stronger while wild Pokémon are still weak, so you'll probably be underleveled. Was this your experience? I know Red is a jump up in difficulty from Blue, but he was always like that.

I finished fixing the walking-sprite graphics glitch, so that'll be in the next update (probably out by Sunday, depending on how much I want to include in it).
        Old July 19th, 2016 (11:59 PM).
        Nasty Plotting

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Rangi View Post

Murkrow: Awesome. :) Did you do the post-Red mission? Also, how was the leveling curve? My guess is that up to the Elite 4 would be okay, since only the leaders were somewhat buffed, but in Kanto the leaders get stronger while wild Pokémon are still weak, so you'll probably be underleveled. Was this your experience? I know Red is a jump up in difficulty from Blue, but he was always like that.

I finished fixing the walking-sprite graphics glitch, so that'll be in the next update (probably out by Sunday, depending on how much I want to include in it).
          by the middle of kanto i was basically only using 2 pokemon (vaporeon and typhlosion) and i thief ed a lucky egg from a chansey to help gain xp (which took QUITE a while). this was the way i keep up with the level curve without having to grind massively.

so yeah i think the level curve does need tweaking. really could not be bothered to train more mons other than my main 2 since it entails massive grinding.

after getting the 16 badges i basically have to grind on e4 like 4-5 times with the lucky egg on to get vaporeon to lvl90+. while i didnt touch typhlosion too much, it was only on lvl77. since i was basically just banking on vaporeon as a bulky sweeper to sweep everything.

haven't touch post red yet, taking a break now.

Old July 20th, 2016 (12:19 AM).
          Nasty Plotting

my idea is that when you reach kanto(vermillion) for the first time, every trainer you meet from there on should have at least lvl50 mons (i was seeing many kanto trainers using really low level mons..) wild mons should be around lvl40.

force linearity by placing snorlax at key route locations, allowing you to steadily increase the difficulty of trainer/wild mons as player progresses along the route you want.

Old July 20th, 2016 (12:35 PM).
            zef

uhhh my scyther evolved into bulbasaur at level 14
              Old July 20th, 2016 (3:17 PM).

Some features I'd really really like to see from the Pokemon Red hack are:
                -Add an EXP share like Gen 6 (easier to raise different teams - but give later in game so not OP)
                -Auto repel like Gen 5
                -Reusable TMs (already being worked on?)

Thanks for your great work on this hack! I really appreciate a chance to relive Pokemon crystal as Gen II was my first gen! Enjoying it so far, though I don't have much time to play being a medical student ;P
                Old July 20th, 2016 (3:26 PM).

That's three people who've reported a Bulbascyther. It's a popular Pokémon. The bug has been fixed for the next release by Sunday. Pokémon like Scyther will only evolve if they gain a level while holding the right item (a Metal Coat here).

I just finished reusable TMs, and auto-Repel will probably be next. :) I'm not a fan of the Gen 6 Exp. Share, though. It creates more experience instead of dividing up a fixed amount, making it even harder to have a sensible level progression.

Quick question about how auto-Repel works: if I have all three kinds, which kind will get automatically reused? Whichever one I manually used? The cheapest? The first one in the bag?
                  Old July 20th, 2016 (4:19 PM).

I think it's just the one you're currently using i.e. you use a super repel, it runs out, it asks you to use another super repel.

And hmm yeah, the exp share generating experience isn't great.

I'd be happy just if a few more exp shares were given out/on the ground/whatever. I mainly just want to be able to train up several new Pokemon evenly without having to constantly switch the single exp share around :)
                    Old July 20th, 2016 (4:20 PM). Edited July 20th, 2016 by Zef.
                    zef

i'm pretty sure it's whatever one you used.
                      and yeah everstoning the scyther til i thieved a metal coat worked out fine. 7 badges in, really fun hack

edit:
                      by the way, will the update increase kanto's levels? i'm taking a break from it until tomorrow, just wanted to know
                      Old July 20th, 2016 (4:49 PM).

Yes, I've raised the levels of wild Pokémon in Kanto. The trainers have already had their new higher levels copied from HG/SS, although I may raise them more if people say they're still not getting enough experience.

I'll think about adding a way to get more Exp.Shares.
                        Old July 20th, 2016 (9:15 PM).

hey fam
                          somethings wrong with onix, everytime i level up this nigga i have to sit through a Onix is evolving scene each time
                          he doesn't even evolve into steelix either, he just turns into onix
                          also when can a nigga evolve his onix as soon as possible?
                          Old July 20th, 2016 (9:58 PM).

Sounds like the same bug as Scyther→Bulbasaur. It'll be fixed in the next patch, out by Sunday. You can get a Metal Coat from a Magnemite on Route 38, then it will evolve into Steelix on level-up.
                            Old July 21st, 2016 (2:19 AM).
                            Nasty Plotting

i think elemental punches should be cheaper. 75 bp moves shouldn't cost $80000 worth of coins each.

Old July 21st, 2016 (12:59 PM). Edited July 21st, 2016 by Rangi.

Good point. I hadn't changed the price from back when he taught Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. I think 200 coins, or ¥4000 worth, is fair.

On the other hand, TMs will be reusable now, so they should be more expensive. And I'm going to copy HG/SS and have the Dept. Store sell the powerful but inaccurate elemental moves, with the more reliable and useful ones at the Game Corner. TM prices in the two Dept. Stores will be based on the prices in B/W.
                                Old July 21st, 2016 (3:46 PM).

I'm really digging it so far, very promising project. Currently on Cianwood, i'm giving my thoughts early to report a bug I found (nothing special): After the battle with the Beauty on the pokécenter, the music stops (restarts when you leave). No big deal.

Are you accepting suggestions? If so, I think it would be nice if naming the trainer could take 12 characters like when you name your pokémon, some names like mine doesn't fit in the default lenght.

If you want help with sprites I'm at your disposition, I made some sprites and devamps for Red++ too. Thanks for the great job!

Old July 22nd, 2016 (8:55 AM). Edited July 22nd, 2016 by Rangi.

Quote:
                                    After the battle with the Beauty on the pokécenter, the music stops (restarts when you leave). No big deal.
                                    Thanks, that's exactly the kind of detail I want to get right. It was happening with some other battles too.

Longer player names are a good idea. I'd have to make sure all the places it gets printed out have enough room.

Thank you very much for your offer. Do you want to draw animation frames for the new Pokémon sprites? They're a bit out of place right now.
                                    Old July 22nd, 2016 (9:00 PM). Edited July 22nd, 2016 by Rangi.

Thank you all for giving me feedback about version 1.0.0! I've fixed most of the bugs that were found, and added enough features for a new release.

You'll have to apply the patches to a plain Crystal ROM, not an already-patched one. Also, your old save files will not work correctly. (Which is kind of a good thing—if you restart now, all the TMs you get will be reusable. :))

Changelog:

• Add: Title screen version number ends in "F" for the faithful version
                                      • Add: Unlimited-use TMs from Gen V (also more expensive)
                                      • Add: Continuous Repel system from Gen V
                                      • Add: Money loss formula from Gen V
                                      • Add: Pokédex area display uses whiever region you're in
                                      • Add: New sprites for Twins and another trainer
                                      • Add: Guitarist♀ trainer class
                                      • Add: Wild Gengar in Cerulean Cave at night
                                      • Add: Mineral Badge, not Storm Badge, makes Pokémon up to L70 obey, like in HG/SS
                                      • Add: Higher levels in Kanto
                                      • Add: Sitrus Berry (formerly Gold Berry) restores 25% of max HP, not 30 HP
                                      • Add: Sleep lasts 1-3 turns, not 1-7
                                      • Add: Hex doubles damage if foe has a status condition
                                      • Add: Fishing works 75% of the time, not 50%
                                      • Add: Paralyze and Freeze animations play each turn
                                      • Add: X Accuracy boosts accuracy, it does not ignore accuracy checks entirely
                                      • Add: Struggle does 25% of max HP recoil damage
                                      • Add: Double-Edge and Flare Blitz do 33% recoil damage
                                      • Add: Twineedle checks for poison after each hit
                                      • Add: Substitute blocks Transform, Swagger, and trapping moves
                                      • Add: Substitute does not block draining moves
                                      • Add: Protect works from behind a Substitute
                                      • Add: Substitute prevents gaining money from Pay Day
                                      • Add: 20% chance to defrost, not 10%
                                      • Fix: Some sprites glitch when walking
                                      • Fix: Firebreather Bill was using Kimono Girl Sayo's name and Pokémon
                                      • Fix: Evolution by held item no longer happens without the right item
                                      • Fix: Some items' names were displayed wrong when held
                                      • Fix: Can't get stuck in Cerulean Cave without Surf or Fly
                                      • Fix: Pursuit causing a switching-out Pokémon to faint crashes the game
                                      • Fix: Astonish has a 30% chance to flinch
                                      • Fix: Will-O-Wisp hits through Dig
                                      • Fix: Celadon Game Corner prizes and prices match the displayed ones
                                      • Fix: Pokémon levels for Boarder Stefan, Hiker Kenny, and Bug Catcher Ellis
                                      • Fix: Old Amber in Pewter City and Nugget in Trainer Hall with a full Bag
                                      • Fix: NPC text contradicts new Poison mechanic
                                      • Fix: Silver Cave has a black background in Red's room, not blue
                                      • Fix: Warp home after the final battle, not outside Mt. Silver
                                      • Fix: Elemental punch move tutor charges 200 coins, not 4000
                                      • Fix: Music resumes after certain trainer battles

Patches:

There are two patches, regular and "faithful". The faithful patch does not change any Pokémon types or base stats, or any move attributes. This will be more familiar, but can have some odd consequences, like a Ghost trainer using a Ninetales that lacks STAB on its Shadow Ball.

Patches should be applied to a Pokémon Crystal (UE) (1.0) ROM. The one I used has the MD5 hash 9f2922b235a5eeb78d65594e82ef5dde if you need to make sure your copy is correct.

polishedcrystal-1.1.0.ips
                                      polishedcrystal-faithful-1.1.0.ips

The source code on GitHub has a readme with more details, an FAQ, and a guide to using the patch files.

I'll be away for the next week, so I won't be able to check back much on this thread. Please continue to play/test this update, so I'll have bugs to fix when I get back.
                                      Old July 22nd, 2016 (11:22 PM). Edited July 22nd, 2016 by joltjolteon.

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Rangi View Post
                                        Thank you very much for your offer. Do you want to draw animation frames for the new Pokémon sprites? They're a bit out of place right now.
                                        At the moment I'm visiting my parents, i'll contact you when I get back home. :)

Was this fixed? I had a good laugh when i saw it.

Another suggestion, it would be pretty neat if the bag worked like it did in BW:

Quote:
                                        In Black and White, the Bag was overhauled again, with eight pockets being condensed into five, much like in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. The pockets are called Cases in these games, and are labeled Items, Medicine, TMs & HMs, Berries and Key Items, with Poké Balls, Mail, held items and other items all being placed in the Items pocket. Held items, Mail and Poké Balls are indicated as such by an icon displayed to the immediate left of the item that corresponds to what type of item it is.
                                        In these games, recently acquired items (other than TMs) are added at the top of their respective item list (rather than the bottom, as in previous generations), and players can sort a pocket automatically by pressing Start, in addition to manual sorting with Select.
                                        and in Gen IV they implemented infinite space, too.

I got too spoiled with the later bag systems, never had a problem with GSC bag before {XD}

Also,
                                        Spoiler:
                                        when you encounter Jesse and James it would make more sense if they disappeared with a blink instead of just walking away, since they are "blasting off".

Wondering if I should restart right away since i didn't even beat the league yet, but I'm the kind of person that gets attached to their pokémon. :3c Great job wiith the update, anyway!

Old July 23rd, 2016 (6:12 AM).
                                        TheProphetJ825 TheProphetJ825 is offline

Nature: Modest
                                          Every time, I just so happen to log on to Pokécommunity, I find a Damn Godsend Hack.

Thank you for this, I can finally start my first Nuzlocke
                                          God help me...
                                          Old July 23rd, 2016 (7:37 PM).
                                          rawritsapples rawritsapples is offline

At what level does murkrow evolve into honchkrow? Or do I need to find a duskstone, if so, can you tell me where to locate one? Would appreciate it, thanks so much!
                                            Old July 23rd, 2016 (8:40 PM). Edited July 24th, 2016 by indubitably.

How messed up would things get if I used the save file from v1.0.0 to play v1.1.0?
                                              Old July 24th, 2016 (9:12 AM).

rawritsapples: You'll need a Dusk Stone. There's one in Dark Cave, one in Mt. Moon, a couple more in other caves, and Bill's grandpa gives you one.

indubitably: Some events would be undone (like trainer battles, picked-up items, and storyline events), and some would be triggered too early. And depending on which map you're on, it might crash. Just start a new save file. I'll try to stick to non-save-breaking features for the next release, like adding new X/Y move mechanics.
                                                Old July 24th, 2016 (10:41 AM).

Nature: Adamant
                                                  looks amazing
                                                  Old July 24th, 2016 (11:03 AM).

I'd like to hear your opinions on new Pokémon to add or remove. All 253 slots are full, so whatever I add has to be balanced with a removal.

Possible Pokémon to add: Electivire and Magmortar (as a pair), Rhyperior, Mantyke, or I could put back Goldeen+Seaking, Spearow+Fearow, and/or Shuckle.

Possible Pokémon to remove: Hoppip+Skiploom+Jumpluff, and/or Mr. Mime.

I kind of don't want to remove the Hoppip line, because that leaves fairly few Grass-types: Chikorita, Bellsprout, Oddish, and Paras early on, plus Exeggcute, Tangela, Leafeon, and Bulbasaur later. And Jumpluff is a decent Pokémon to use, unlike the removed Sunflora. I wouldn't miss Mr. Mime, especially since more Pokémon are part-Psychic now, but maybe other people are a fan?

Quick Reply