• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Should have gone before Christmas but better late than never, I suppose. At least if we go down now we will do so fighting.

Just taken a look at Twitter and it is amazing, everyone non-Norwich seems to be in mourning over this. Hughton has produced 18 wins over 2 seasons and would most likely have relegated us, there has been no progression in the attacking third despite spending millions on it, we got knocked out of the FA Cup by a non-league side and he spent more time bigging up the opposition players in his pre/post match interviews than he did his own. He will certainly not be missed.

Best of luck Neil Adams, you are going to need it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
http://www.theguardian.com/football...ton-sacked-west-bromwich?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

''One long-standing player, an important and respected figure within the club, has privately let it be known that what they perceived to be Hughton's constant criticism and emphasis on the negative meant the players were going into games more focused on not making mistakes than on creating opportunities.''

Our midfielders and forwards must be feeling pretty cheerful right now.

Years
Fellaini's dribbling skills are legendary.

f8e1ae9005298cce36a689bc89662c2b.gif

Years
I am worried, actually. They know how to set up against us as they've shown in the first leg. The game against Augsburg only served us as a reminder that we're all humans, but if we continue this lethargic performance against United we could be eliminated, sadly. Not to mention our poor record at home against English sides. (last 4 results: 1-1 D, 2-3 L, 0-2 L, 1-1 D)

What I've realized is that against equal or lesser teams, Moyes' dinosaur tactics do not help because they cannot break down the opposition, hence their disappointing league position. But against a dominant team like us defending to their teeth, the underdog mentality works. I could go deeper in detail about this, but I think you'll probably get what I mean.

There is no reason for you to worry. Moyes has never been any good against the big teams. During his time Everton he won zero games at Anfield, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and Emirates, even with a squad that was regularly getting 5th and 6th. In the last month Liverpool and Man City have gone to Old Trafford and beaten his team 3-0. Plus he knows now he has to score to go through. I don't see where they'll be getting their goal from if they can't even keep 25% possesion of the ball (other than setpieces)

Years
Looks like Sunderland are going down. Games in hand are worth nothing if you're going to lose them in the end.
It's between Norwich and Fulham now.

Years
They would have had a chance if everybody else around them was out of form, but at the moment Fulham and West Brom are doing well. It seems that there is space for just one team in the bottom 3 to go on to survive.

Years
Looks like we'll be having a North East derby here next season for sure then.

I'm going to back Norwich to stay up, their squad isn't as weak on paper as the various poor teams around them, so with the Hughton element removed, they should manage it even with the run of fixtures. They'll probably beat Fulham to end the matter next week as long as they receive the new manager boost.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
It's between Norwich and Fulham now.

West Brom as well, they have a few rough fixtures. Da Swanz have a striker in form so should be safe despite only being a point ahead.

their squad isn't as weak on paper as the various poor teams around them,

Leroy Fer coming back into things as well, should give us a boost. Hughton being gone means the likes of Howson and Hoolahan should be back in their natural positions, I can't wait.

Years
Looks like Boro had an interesting night.

WE ONLY NEED NINE MEN, WE ONLY NEED NINE MEN, WE ONLY NEED NINE-

-Ahem yeah very interesting and entertaining. Two red cards, two very nice goals (one of them scored by Brum unfortunately) and a very entertaining game overall which was surprising given the lack of things at stake for either team. Once again the officials seemed to try everything in their power to stop us from winning, but unlike against QPR the other week we still kept the result.

In more important news (from a global perspective), congratulations to Chelsea on the comeback. Hopefully United can follow their lead and get a surprise win tomorrow too. Good to see Team Ronaldo (without Ronaldo) making it through too even if they let Dortmund come close. Utd vs Chelsea & Real vs Atletico would be two special semifinals, but it's merely a dream for now.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Real vs Atletico would be two special semifinals, but it's merely a dream for now.

I was terrified of that idea until a few hours ago. If we can play against that thing that visited Dortmund today, I might reconsider it. A shame that min 60. shot that hit the wood ended there, I just screamed a GGGGGggggg in agony at work.

I still prefer Moyester if I can choose but hey. We still have to survive Barça. And then we can look at whoever. Even the 2nd Madrid team if it must be.

Although a Bayern-Atlético final would be a fitting end.

Years
There is no reason for you to worry. Moyes has never been any good against the big teams. During his time Everton he won zero games at Anfield, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and Emirates, even with a squad that was regularly getting 5th and 6th. In the last month Liverpool and Man City have gone to Old Trafford and beaten his team 3-0. Plus he knows now he has to score to go through. I don't see where they'll be getting their goal from if they can't even keep 25% possesion of the ball (other than setpieces)

ManU will treat this game like a cup final, and we'll have to, too. As they showed in the first leg, they've shown that they're not the same languid team that's struggling in the league. Plus we have some key injuries and suspensions.

We lacked ideas to break United down in the first leg which resulted in possession borefest. We'll have to drop deeper, force their slow defenders high up the pitch, and hit them on a counter. We'll have to be more direct in our play, too, instead of passing around when there's a more riskier but rewarding play. We're missing Thiago in that respect as well.

We have a slender advantage in away goals, but nerves will settle in if it's somehow 0-0 at 80+ minutes. We need to score first otherwise it can get extremely tricky.

Yes, because Fellaini is known to be a master dribbler with a Brazilian family background so it's totally relevant to make fun of his "dribbling skills". Oh wait...

The fact that Fellaini isn't known for his dribbling doesn't really matter in this case. It's still laughable how bad that is from a top division player.

Years
Bayern Munich: Neuer, Lahm, Boateng, Dante, Alaba, Muller, Kroos, Gotze, Robben, Mandzukic, Ribery.
Subs: Raeder, Van Buyten, Rafinha, Pizarro, Weihrauch, Weiser, Hojbjerg.

Manchester United team: De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Carrick, Valencia, Rooney, Kagawa, Welbeck.
Subs: Lindegaard, Ferdinand, Giggs, Hernandez, Young, Buttner, Januzaj.

Don't feel as comfortable as I was in the first leg. Hopefully Mandzukic does the job for us up front. Evra could be their weak link.

Years
Wow, what a game. The moment Evra scored though, they switched off completely and let us score three.

In other news, congratulations to Atletico for reaching the semis. Simeone is working miracles.

Back