• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Can you recommend me some good modern underrated horror movies?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Preferably ones with sci-fi/fantasy elements.
Preferably movies from the 2000's.
Preferably ones that are not very well known, because I've watched pretty much everything.
Please no slashers or movies which are mainly of another genre that have slight horror elements. Horror needs to be the main genre.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Is there a reason you want only modern films? Some of the best ones, I feel, are from the past.
Well, mainly because I've either watched them or they just don't age well. Granted, there are movies from the early 2000's that aged like crap, but It's just the certain feeling I get from the really old ones that I don't really like.
Anyway, I think eighteen years is a wide enough time span.

If you know about some really hidden gems from before the 2000's and you're extremely enthusiastic about them then go ahead and recommend.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
What kind of stories and tone do you like? Do you like a slow atmospheric buildup (slow burn), disturbing stories/characters/ideas, or do you prefer gore instead?

Have you been conditioned by more modern films to respond to jump scares, as well?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
What kind of stories and tone do you like? Do you like a slow atmospheric buildup (slow burn), disturbing stories/characters/ideas, or do you prefer gore instead?

Have you been conditioned by more modern films to respond to jump scares, as well?

I'd prefer slow burners with sci-fi/fantasy elements. I'm not big into gore. I'd rather it actually be scary.
I tend to check out when horror movies are entirely grounded in reality. There are exceptions, but in general that's the case.

No, I've not been conditioned to anything. I like what I like, and some of my favorites are old movies and ones without many jump scares. I actually pass on movies if I know they're just big budget jumpfests.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Nice, I know a friend who loves those same kind of movies, so I'll ask her to post some recommendations.

I've never been a horror person so, sadly, I don't have any recommendations myself.

Are you okay with reading subtitles though?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Nice, I know a friend who loves those same kind of movies, so I'll ask her to post some recommendations.

I've never been a horror person so, sadly, I don't have any recommendations myself.

Are you okay with reading subtitles though?
Please do :)

I don't mind subs, so foreign horror is also 100% fine(will update it on the main post).
Actually my favorite horror movie to date is french. Pascal Laugier's Martyrs.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2022
1. Gwoemul/The Host. A bit long, but it?s one of the best from the 2000s. Probably would?ve been one of the few to be decently remade in America alongside Ring, The Grudge and The Uninvited.

2. Three...Extremes. One is downright disturbing, but the three short films bundled together from three directors from China, South Korea and Japan are a definite watch.

3. The Grudge. The American version , directed by the same director as the original is arguably superior to the original due to one narrative throughout the stories instead of multiple short parts. Also the effects are creepier.

4. Mirrors (2008). From what I remember, it was a decent movie.

5. The Ring.

6. The Conjuring. While the Warrens are frauds in real life, this horror film is pretty well executed.

7. The original Paranormal Activity and a couple others. It?s quite simple and not bad.

8. 1408.

9. Both Silent Hill movies.

10. Hills Have Eyes remake.

11. Resident Evil, the first few. The others are solid action popcorn movies but the first two to three are more entrenched into horror.

12. The Uninvited.

13. Tetsuo: The Iron Man. While this is from the late 80s/early 90s, it?s a creepy and quirky indie Japanese horror movie that is quite strange. There?s next to no dialogue either.

14. Hellraiser. Another 80?s horror, it?s the only film of the franchise worth watching.

15. The original 1968 Night of the Living Dead. It?s aged extremely well and is the basis of the zombie genre, not to mention the first mainstream movie , or one of them ,to have a black lead that influences the story as an equal. Its social commentary is also interesting. I?d recommend the remake , but they?re not that scary.

Last edited:
Years
Hmmm...so you are looking for a 2000s movie from the horror genre, but not gore-filled or slasher? You want something more tasteful. Foreign films are 100% fine, and sci-fi/fantasy elements are a plus.

One film jumped out at me as you listed this criteria, Pan's Labyrinth.This Mexican/ Spanish-produced horror film from the creative mind of Guillermo Del Toro is a fav movie of mine. My only reservation is that you might have seen it before since it received a lot of acclaim when it was released back in 2006. However, it was still made more than 10 years ago, so if your interest in horror is more recent than you might have missed it when it first came out.

One of the reasons I think Pan's Labyrinth would appeal to you is because it has very strong fantasy elements. It features a child, trying to escape a dark home environment and while I would say this thriller fits well into the horror genre, there are fairies, fauns and ancient monsters that you have never seen before that put the darkness back into fairytales. Still the most dangerous monsters in the film are human beings. Its a masterpiece that blends make-up, CGI and animatronics into an eye-popping feast of world-building that has not aged a day. It has great acting, rich atmosphere, exciting pacing, vivid production design and is a relatively unusual, original story for a horror film set against the backdrop of the horrors of Spain's civil war. It is an intense film, features death and the sadness of war, but certainly not a slasher movie. Overall, If you like Neil Gaiman's writings as I do then I recommend this.

I think some of the best horror movies of recent years have been Spanish-language. If you have already seen Pan's Labyrinth, then instead try out the the 2013 Venezuelan indie horror film House at the End of Time. This is a much more rare film to come across so hopefully you have not seen it. You say that slow-burners arouse your interest, and this is a quiet, a-typical horror movie that is more about character and backstory. In the premise a woman convicted of murdering her family is taken to the house of the crime scene to serve out the end of her sentence under house arrest. The movie begins the way you might expect a haunted house flick to, but quickly veres off into a deeper mystery. It also touches on elements of sci-fi/ fantasy and has an interesting twist of events I think. Very good acting, very subtle film. Might be too slow for some, but since jumpscares and the like can turn you off then this moody, sadder tale might strike a cord with you.

The vibe I get from you is that you like classic, masterful horror, a good story with atmosphere and things that go bump in the night. If so you surely like Edgar Allen Poe, right? If you are open-minded to animated horror then give 2013's Extraordinary Tales a watch. It is a collection of classic Poe shorts from Fall of the House of Usher to The Pit and the Pendelum and so on, each has its own unique style of animation, some are in black and white and some are in color, all are given spooky narrations from famous horror actors like Christopher Lee, Julian Sand and Bela Lugosi, and each tale directed by a diffrerent pioneering horror director. As you know with Poe, these are tales of suspense, and often a touch of the supernatural lingers.

One film I think is very underrated is Nacho Cerd?'s The Abandoned, another 2006 film. It doesn't get much love, apart from being named as one of the 8 Films to Die For that year, but it is one of the most terrifying films that I have ever seen. An adopted woman from the United States travels to Europe to discover who her family was and learn of her lost Russian Heritage. As she journeys through the countryside she finds terror lurking in the forest and the abandoned property of her ancestors. This movie is very creepy and real, but doesn't explain all of the strange occurences and secrets that lay waiting in the fog. But if you are okay with a movie that leaves some things left to the imagination then give it a chance.

Back