• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review

Years
Aesthetically, it doesn't look half bad, however I have to comment on some oddities and gameplay concerns that I have:

gameplay wise, you can get through this map by just walking in an upwards line for a few seconds. I don't see any grass that would maybe force you to change direction... maybe having some trainers lurk around the path that leads north would make this more fun to wade through.

Forcing the player change direction every once in a while should make the map more enjoyable to play through

Does this map have a connection to the right? You can surf to the east of this map by sticking close to the ground wall. Was this intentional? If there's nothing to the east of this map, you will have border problems in game in the surfing area close to the mountain walls.

The ground wall near you after you leave the pier shows a squarish ground tile as background - this is easily fixable with the Block Editor in a-map if you're using that

If you want to be 100% in line with Nintendo style of mapping, you have to do the tree-to-tree shading correctly, everywhere. Below is a pic where you have used the right tile (blue line) and where you have used the wrong tile (red line)

Spoiler:

Thanks for the comment c: I see what you mean I made this map purely as an opening sequence to my world so the road leads into a campsite where one meets the Professor. Which is why there's no trainers or grass c:

Years
Aesthetically, it doesn't look half bad, however I have to comment on some oddities and gameplay concerns that I have:

gameplay wise, you can get through this map by just walking in an upwards line for a few seconds. I don't see any grass that would maybe force you to change direction... maybe having some trainers lurk around the path that leads north would make this more fun to wade through.

Forcing the player change direction every once in a while should make the map more enjoyable to play through

Does this map have a connection to the right? You can surf to the east of this map by sticking close to the ground wall. Was this intentional? If there's nothing to the east of this map, you will have border problems in game in the surfing area close to the mountain walls.

The ground wall near you after you leave the pier shows a squarish ground tile as background - this is easily fixable with the Block Editor in a-map if you're using that

If you want to be 100% in line with Nintendo style of mapping, you have to do the tree-to-tree shading correctly, everywhere. Below is a pic where you have used the right tile (blue line) and where you have used the wrong tile (red line)

Spoiler:

Here's my map:

4OowH2p.png

hack of emerald

is there a secret under that bridge?! I'll never tell

I wanted to add shadows under the large trees on the pavement but I literally run out of both tileset and blockset space, there's just not a single tile to use there

the roads of this city are made to be travelled with the Mach Bike (so they're intentionally long-winded)

Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh

I see what you mean O: thank you Ray and the reason for the upward direction is because this map is the opening map of my game that leads into the camp where you meet the professor c: I can add some fruit trees though c:

Oh I should add this. I like your map Ray : D its very eye catching. Also its probably a good idea you didn't add the shadows this is a fairly large map and added effects like shadows can actually slow down the game because the map is already so large. I also really like that your map doesn't feel boxy and as you stated with my map has twists and turns and doesn't feel so straight forward c: it actually makes me want to add a side road to mine o:

Its largeness is also its downfall cause going from one end to the other can make it a bit hard for the player if they don't have a mach bike. Maybe add a tunnel? Otherwise very nice map!

Last edited:
Years
Review of Ray Maverick's Map:

Spoiler:

My Map:

Spoiler:

Years
Anyway, here's my map that I did today:

DXszxuV.png

Imgur Link: http://i.imgur.com/DXszxuV.png

This isn't just one route/area, it's just all of my Region that I've done thus far. You start in the bottom left city, then you go into the Professor's Pokemon Sanctuary immediately to the right of that city, where you catch your first Pokemon Safari-Zone style. Then you talk to the professor inside of the cave in the center of that sanctuary about storyline fossil stuff, then you get to go on your real adventure North of the town, Route 1. All of the caves entrances on this route are blocked off at this point. You then proceed to the Beach town on the Right.

In the Beach town there is a cave entrance that you can only get to once you've gotten Surf later in the game, and inside that cave there are gonna be puzzles. When you complete them you'll be able to go out of the other two cave openings in the city, to get hidden items right outside.

Then there's obviously a lot of other stuff that are just kinda there, that I'll come up with a purpose for eventually. There's gonna be a massive cave system under the mountain range, which will at some point come out above the mountain in the clearing you can see at the top right of the map. There's also gonna be hidden things if you go up the waterfall from Route 1.

I get that it's a big map to be submitting and there's a lot going on, I just wanna make sure I'm on the right track before I start doing the cool stuff I have planned :)

Dyskinesia, what tool are you using to draw this map? Photoshop, Paint, RMXP, Advanced Map, etc?

Years
Hi forums,

I'm here to have my cave map reviewed because im not quite confident about the second one and I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.
In this cave you'll find the usual Zubat and Geodude but all the other Pokemon are Bug-types.

Termite Cave B1F
Spoiler:

Termite Cave B2F
Spoiler:

Another question, do you think I should add darkness (Flash usable) to B2F?

P.S. Credits to UnamedROMBaseV2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

As for RanaldRoo's Route 1 map, I really like that one!
Lots of detail in the mountains with all the rocks and especially the waterfalls are nice.

But that wooden fence in the middle that forces you to go over the rocks bothers me a bit.
I'd personally say a ledge fits there better.

Last edited:
Years
Here's my latest map, the Cave Shipwreck:

a few notes:
*You can jump from rock to rock
*You can Dive into the abyss
*You need Surf to explore the shipwreck
*While Surfing on the transparent water, you can only find wild battles while passing over the underwater grass (water Pokemon are waiting for you to Surf over them I guess)
*This map is located towards the end of the dungeon, so if there's not much grass getting in your way, it's on purpose

I can't remember to whom the shipwreck & other tiles belong, so I'll post the entire list of credits I have for my project so far (I think everyone involved in this map should be properly credited this way):

beautiful map love the tileset

Here is my world map im working on i stitched it together using paint
picture.php

here is a forest
picture.php

and a cave
picture.php

Last edited:

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
Years
here is a forest
and a cave

Hi Charmiebee, I think your world map is pretty good, reminds me of Fire Red.
The forest might make people think it resembles the Viridian Forest.
And there are a few tile errors on the caves left side.

Here is my first go at a route map, the sides will be filled in with trees. Thank you!

http://imgur.com/a/AR6uu

AR6uu

AR6uu
AR6uu

Years
Probably stitched together mapshots from AMap with Paint to make one large image.

Quite a work to do, if that's the case. I wonder if you could use a map in a game, if you doing it like an image.
'Cause if you can't, there's almost no reason to draw maps this way (other than mapping for sport, for example).

Hi forums,

I'm here to have my cave map reviewed because im not quite confident about the second one and I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.
In this cave you'll find the usual Zubat and Geodude but all the other Pokemon are Bug-types.

Termite Cave B1F
Spoiler:

Termite Cave B2F
Spoiler:

Another question, do you think I should add darkness (Flash usable) to B2F?

I liked the style of your caves. I like trees in caves, but that needs to be implemented in caves where that's supported.
I don't believe that's the case for a termite cave, but that's up to your imagination and game ambientation.
One thing though, you gotta have coherence, keep the nexus on your ideas. If you have trees, they'll need light, so it will be a cave where there's entrance to light. No Flash in this case.
In the other hand, if the cave is dark, hardly trees would grow there. Specially big leafy trees, like the ones you used.
I would drop the Flash (hate it anyway) and keep the lovely trees. =D
I would also add something that would make the player want to come back later, like an entrance to some other cave room blocked by a Strength boulder. That could be what the gangs were looking for, because there's something interesting or awarding inside, I don't know.

picture.php

here is a forest
picture.php

and a cave
picture.php

I like your maps, the center of the maps, where the player moves and passes by.
I just felt it too geometrically made. For example, a forest is a living thing. It won't be all squared out where the player passes.
Of course for games, people don't spread trees like in a real forest, that could stay in the way of the character/player (the poor baby, forest won't let you walk straight through it). But that doesn' mean if has to be all squared out.
Same goes for the cave and the main map, in general.
But the way you map is nice. Very Fire Redy. =P

Here is my first go at a route map, the sides will be filled in with trees. Thank you!
http://imgur.com/a/AR6uu

I like what you did with the place, seems like a garden. Relaxing place.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
@Chaflie nice map, but in my opinion, I don't like those red trees, that red pallete is too strong and doesn't fit with the rest of the environment.
--------------------
Spoiler:

This is a map that I did a couple of years ago. It was the initial route of my old project.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 20, 2018
@Chaflie nice map, but in my opinion, I don't like those red trees, that red pallete is too strong and doesn't fit with the rest of the environment.
--------------------
Spoiler:

This is a map that I did a couple of years ago. It was the initial route of my old project.

No complaints! It's beautiful! Just curious if that tile set is public? :)

Also for my map, I was aiming for an "autumn" feel, could you go into more detail about how you think it doesn't fit the environment? Thank you for the feedback!

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
Chaflie's Map:
Spoiler:

Ruki's Map:
Spoiler:

Charmiebee's Maps:
Spoiler:

Discussion on my map:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
elunos_forest_by_raymondmaverick-dbl8f09.png

you can climb the walls and walk on top of them, and jump from wall top to wall top

you can also climb up and down 2 block vines

the right way to enter the temple is through the hole on the roof by climbing down that vine, because the regular entrance is blocked by rubble (inside)

Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Here's a map I'm working on. Still in progress. It's a new take on Celadon City. I hate how the towns in Pokémon are hardly towns, just a few houses, a PC and a store. So my goal is to make Celadon City, but also make it with enough houses so that it's realistic AND make it so you can go inside them all so there's more stuff to do.
Let me stop you right there buddy, Celadon city already has more than enough to do, if you were going to make it "realistic" you'd have to add a couple of thousand more houses. *ahem* Anyways, what's the point of having so many houses? how can you keep me entertained visiting them all, without making it feel like a slog? It seems like you are just adding houses for the sake of it, if you'd map the entire Kanto region like this, the vast majority of your audience would lose their patience after arriving in Viridian city. =/

I'd be glad to take any suggestions on how it can improve :)
Credits: Wesely FG for the Gym, the Pokémon Center, benches and for the Gamer Corner (But I changed it a bit)
Anyways, onto the actual review of the map. I really like the tiles you picked for the smaller houses! the ones you used for the larger ones look pretty bad in comparison though. Not only do the tiles clash, the windows are located in awkward positions. All the buildings are perfectly one a single line too, which, in my opinion, really makes for a boring map to walk through. I like the gym, but the placement is just downright horrible to me, the ring of trees really look off, and you'd do much better to use some more natural shapes to turn it into something of a park, rather than a box of trees.

Back to the point of making it a more "realistic city" the house with the water in front of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, other than just being there because game freak did it, surely you can come up with something more interesting to prevent the player from accessing it before they acquire surf?

I'm generally not a fan of tall grass in cities, but it makes sense in the park-like area on the bottom right. However, the same can't be said for the patches on what appears to be the main road of Celadon. It looks horrible, and again really takes away from that realistic vibe you're aiming for. I'm also not a fan of the "front yards" of the three houses next to the Pokemon center, it looks more like 2 tiles of wilderness in front of their house, than a yard.

Also, I'd really go with a more paved road for such a large city as Celadon, but that's not really a big concern.

I hope I didn't come across as too negative here. n-n;; My purpose is to only provide some constructive criticism, so you can improve your maps~ I do hope my thoughts have been useful, and I'd love to see your final rendition of Celadon City!

Last edited:
Years
Mega Swadloon, if I'm being honest I'm finding it a bit hard to find something positive about your map. It's awfully straight, and the ground doesn't make sense for it being such a big town/city. The trees used are a little odd too, as those are all the Secret Base trees from RSE. I do like the little cornerway with the bench though!

Also, I'm sorry but that Pokemon Gym is horrible looking. The perspective really doesn't match.

cKSSEjA.png

My starting village, made in Emerald. Although, I already messed up my save file and it's gone. It was just a mockup anyways, but I like it! What do you guys think of the layout?

The top right corner would have a TM on the flowers, by the way.

draydonn

Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
Years
Mega Swadloon, if I'm being honest I'm finding it a bit hard to find something positive about your map. It's awfully straight, and the ground doesn't make sense for it being such a big town/city. The trees used are a little odd too, as those are all the Secret Base trees from RSE. I do like the little cornerway with the bench though!

Also, I'm sorry but that Pokemon Gym is horrible looking. The perspective really doesn't match.

cKSSEjA.png

My starting village, made in Emerald. Although, I already messed up my save file and it's gone. It was just a mockup anyways, but I like it! What do you guys think of the layout?

The top right corner would have a TM on the flowers, by the way.

Looking Quite nice for a start! Id recommend just bringing things together a bit. Maybe add a little park or something? Other then that, good job!

Back