• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Can you change script after compiling?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 17, 2020
Hello there,

I'm new to Pokemon ROM hacking, and I had a question about scripting.
When I Change an already compiled script, the changes I made seem to disappear after saving and closing XSE.
Does this mean that you can't change a script after compiling it and if so,
do you have to make a new script every time you want to change something in the old one?
I'm trying to learn trough trial and error, but having to make an entirely new script every time I make a mistake takes a long time.
Thanks in advance!

Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Hello there,

I'm new to Pokemon ROM hacking, and I had a question about scripting.
When I Change an already compiled script, the changes I made seem to disappear after saving and closing XSE.
Does this mean that you can't change a script after compiling it and if so,
do you have to make a new script every time you want to change something in the old one?
Thanks in advance!

If an edited script is the same size as the original script, it's safe to edit and compile the changes.
From your text, however, I don't think that's the problem. To edit a script that's already in the game you should open its offset and edit it from there. Don't use #dynamic 0xXXXXXX and @pointers, because you will import your edited script at a different offset, which takes unnecessary free space.

I'm trying to learn trough trial and error, but having to make an entirely new script every time I make a mistake takes a long time.

You should make a map with all your written scripts in it. If something needs to be changed you can just make small edits to that and compile it in free space again.

To not waste any space when making a script longer, you could use #removeall 0xXXXXXX (XXXXXX being the offset you want to make empty) to delete the original script.

Edit: I'd recommend to follow Anthroyd's Video tutorials first, before randomly starting to script anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJw4tz0kcAI&list=PLfI5DBI4tNyLBYGNhf1Ee8cgdmMtiilps&index=8

Last edited:
Back