• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Rift (2% done)

MagicApollo

Newbie Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Pokemon-Rift-Logo.png

IN NEED OF SCRIPT PEOPLE
(or at least a script mentor)

Introduction
========================================
Heyo! I'm a new guy. 19 years old; in college. I've lurked these forums for the past month to learn things about rom hacks. I've really gotten into them recently, which has inspired me to create my own. This may turn out to just be a short term project that will go unfinished, but I'm going to keep working until that happens (if it does). Anyway, on to the point of the thread.

The Game
My hack is going to be titled Pok?mon Rift. My ideas around the story of this hack are vague and not final. The basic plot is that you are seemingly just another universe in which Red/Leaf gets their starter from Oak, beats the gym leaders, thwarts Team Rocket, becomes the champion, and catches all the legendary Pok?mon. However, things take a turn from the start. After getting your starter from Oak, the entire Kanto region is destroyed. You mysteriously survive and find your only way out of the collapsed lab ? a rift. The rift leads you into a whole new region; a new universe, where you truly begin your journey. You are guided by the Red of the "original" FireRed universe where he accomplishes the above feats (beating the Pkmn League etc.). Oak told Red to seek you out because your universe is special. In your universe, Deoxys' DNA mutated in a way that enhanced their psychic powers beyond possibility. It has become the ultimate Pok?mon, being able to control time and space, as well as everything within. Using their abilities, they began sending Deoxys to each planet to take over. Red tells you that your region was destroyed because a newly deployed Deoxys landed on it. Your goal is to seek out legendaries that I haven't determined yet. My idea is that you will seek the three guardian legendaries: Entei, Raikou, and Suicune. With their help, you will attempt to defeat the Deoxys in your universe before the damage is irreparable.

As you progress through the game, you may be randomly teleported or given a rift that leads you straight to the Deoxys in your universe. Each time, you will be teleported to memorable cities from any of the given regions: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. Your goal is to stop Deoxys from destroying those regions as it did to Kanto. What is teleporting you and giving you rifts? Is a Pok?mon guiding you; aiding you in your struggle to save your universe?

Divine guidance or not, you?ll have a tough time contending with this universe?s version of Team Rocket: Team Missile. Team Missile is an obvious and intentional parallel to Team Rocket. It is also led by Giovanni, who for some reason seems TOO much like the original?? The grunts are still goofy young adults, unaware of the true plans of the leader. The grunts will draw their characteristics heavily from Sun and Moon?s Team Skull, as I believe them to be the most entertaining of any team. They, however, are the least of your problems. The admins don?t mess around, and the boss? power is ?out of this world.? Prepare for a team that doesn?t fool around.

Ideas, Features, and Issues
I don't have many ideas for unique gameplay yet, but this is what I have:

- Have out-of-place doors hidden around the region which are rifts made by Deoxys. They function similarly to hidden grottoes in Black 2 and White 2
- Have Deoxys appear as a recurring mini-boss that cannot be captured until the final fight with the legendary dogs where they let you weaken it enough to capture it.
- Possibly have a knock-off brand Team Rocket (since it's an alternate universe) trying to stop you from getting Deoxys. They try to capture it so that they can bring back Kanto just to rule it. Their moral basis could be "If we have this pokemon, we will be able to protect Kanto from things like this if they were to happen again," yada yada. That actually doesn't sound like a bad thing for them to do. Not evil enough...
- Make some jokes along the way (I'm definitely including one about Pokemon Quartz somewhere)

The game will feature the following:
- Fully custom gym leader and Elite Four sprites
- Updated moves (Gen 7)
- Possibly new moves from newer generations if I can figure that out
- A reason to live (hopefully)
- An entirely new region with no basis on old regions whatsoever
- Entirely custom script, meaning you won't recognize any plot sequences from original games (Except the start until the first Gary battle which is intentionally the start of Fire Red)
- Fourth wall-breaking NPCs who diss my incompetence/laziness as a rom hacker
- All trade evolutions changed (list in spoiler below)
- Much more when I think of it I guess

Changed Trade Evolutions
Spoiler:

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Changelog
I will be putting changes to the game in dated spoilers here. Only the most recent update will be shown, with the rest of them being in spoilers.

Sept. 17, 2017
Trainer & OW sprites for 2nd gym leader made.

Sept. 14, 2017
Spoiler:

Sept. 13, 2017
Spoiler:

Current Project
Currently working on the first sequence with Deoxys and making sprites for Team Missile (my intentional knock off of Team Rocket).

Obstacles include learning to hide Red until he talks to the player after the Deoxys fight and figuring out why movement permissions change after saving script. Also finding a way to make second city only accessible after first gym is beaten.

Current Issues

- Second gym leader sprite crashes the game and won't load in A-Trainer
- Can't figure out showsprite/hidesprite for an important cutscene
- I don't have a custom title screen.
- Scripting tutorials can only teach me so much ;-;

I'd love any help that anyone is willing to give. Whether it be in the form of a reply that gives feedback on my idea or if you actually will help me with creating the hack, all help is appreciated. Thanks for reading :)

If you'd like to contact me, my discord is BryceBAM#9647

Credits
Logo by RowdyHD
Used MrDollSteak's full Fire Red patch

Last edited:

PerceptioN95

ポケモントレーナ とみい
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
view spoiler for when i somehow had 1st post in a topic i didnt create
Spoiler:

Anyways, the idea for the hack seems really nice, hope you stick to your ideas and make some more progress :), good luck.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Imo you can add the rival as a person chosen by the Deoxys itself in order to stop the player and the team for plotting against it. Or since the power of Deoxys is beyond imagination, the rival can be a person CREATED by the Deoxys perhaps? Or mind controlled person by the Deoxys?

MagicApollo

Newbie Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Imo you can add the rival as a person chosen by the Deoxys itself in order to stop the player and the team for plotting against it. Or since the power of Deoxys is beyond imagination, the rival can be a person CREATED by the Deoxys perhaps? Or mind controlled person by the Deoxys?
Thanks for the idea :) I think that having a rival created by/chosen by Deoxys would kinda defeat the purpose of having Deoxys as a recurring boss fight. Why would Deoxys fight me if it could just make the rival fight? I like idea of having a rival, but I don't think this would be the best way to go about it. I'd rather have the unique idea of battling a pokemon many times as a boss (though it was done with the scarf pikachu in pokemon glazed) as opposed to the overused rival idea. I pick Deoxys over having a rival, but if there were another way to incorporate a rival, I'd love to do both. Thanks again.
I love the Quartz reference idea, and your game sounds very playable to me. Look up Touhomon if you want another funny reference.
Thanks! I'll look into it

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for the idea :) I think that having a rival created by/chosen by Deoxys would kinda defeat the purpose of having Deoxys as a recurring boss fight. Why would Deoxys fight me if it could just make the rival fight? I like idea of having a rival, but I don't think this would be the best way to go about it. I'd rather have the unique idea of battling a pokemon many times as a boss (though it was done with the scarf pikachu in pokemon glazed) as opposed to the overused rival idea. I pick Deoxys over having a rival, but if there were another way to incorporate a rival, I'd love to do both. Thanks again.

I have an alternative idea but it may take a bit to describe it so bear with me for a bit.So you introduce the rival as someone who grew up together with the main character and as they are from the same region,which was destroyed by deoxys,they both hate deoxys for doing that (the rival hates it more) so it'd be like a red/blue relationship with deoxys as the goal...at least at first.Later on,after every battle with deoxys,pieces of deoxy's memories 'flow' into the main character's mind revealing that deoxys is actually a nice pokemon that lost control of itself due to the special features of that dimension and the huge amount of power it got.Of course that happens because the main character has a special relationship with his pokemon (Ash style),or because his father is actually a soul reaper,or because he ate the mind-mind devil fruit or for whatever reason you wish to choose but the 'Ash style' would be more acceptable here.While all that's happening,along the way,the main character's battle with the rival have gone from 'let's test each other' (first 1-2 battles) to 'deoxys is actually good/bad pokemon disagreement'. So somewhere around the 8th badge,and after you've caught the legendary dogs,there comes the time to weaken the deoxys and let it regain its reason for a little when it tells the main character to battle it with telepathy because it doesn't want to cause harm again.And then you either kill it or catch it.And finally,before the league,the rival is one step away from believing that deoxys is good so he/she requests a battle to confirm it and after you win,he/she admits that deoxys is good.
THE END

Hope it helped,even as food for thought.

MagicApollo

Newbie Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Little update: Nearly done with the first gym. Now working on the route next to the first city as the route is necessary to defeat the gym leader as his pokemon are pretty tough. Probably changing the initial Deoxys fight to be after you enter the first town so there isn't an issue with players going back to their mom's house if they lose to Deoxys when... Kanto was kinda just destroyed so it wouldn't make sense to be back there. If anyone knows how to make a respawn point that isn't a pokemon center/mom's house and doesn't require a person/bed there to heal your pokemon, advice would be appreciated.

Current idea: You go through the hole in Oak's Lab's wall and end up in a pokemon center in Vereus Town, extremely confused. You rush out to be greeted by Red who had been looking for you there. The story continues as it normally would in the original post with Red explaining everything to you, giving you your Pokedex and running shoes.

Last edited:

MagicApollo

Newbie Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I have an alternative idea but it may take a bit to describe it so bear with me for a bit.
This idea is fantastic. I love almost all of it, especially since it would let me bring Blue back into the mix, but in a way that you haven't seen him before, while still being able to stick to his actual personality. Blue is definitely the kind of guy that would act like the rival you describe. He also obviously grew up with Red and is from Kanto like your hypothetical rival. Love it. Most likely going to use this idea. I'll update it on the main post with credit to you if I make the idea final.

MagicApollo

Newbie Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Just deleted the whole rom by replacing it with a raw dump from UNLZ. Woohoo. I at least have all of my custom scripts still. It will take a long time to get back into things, but at least I have some pictures and my scripts. Backing up the rom every day from now on.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 11, 2019
This idea is fantastic. I love almost all of it, especially since it would let me bring Blue back into the mix, but in a way that you haven't seen him before, while still being able to stick to his actual personality. Blue is definitely the kind of guy that would act like the rival you describe. He also obviously grew up with Red and is from Kanto like your hypothetical rival. Love it. Most likely going to use this idea. I'll update it on the main post with credit to you if I make the idea final.

Glad I could help out,and good to see you fired up about working on your hack.Good luck with it.

MagicApollo

Newbie Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Got the first gym and first route done. Custom OW and trainer sprites for the gym leader. Only gap between the start of the game and the first gym is the Deoxys/Red cut scene. Maybe I'll release a super tiny alpha when I get that done.

Anyone know how to make a cut scene with movement and the NPC using rock smash? Whenever I try to make a movement script, it changes on me when I compile. Discord info is at the bottom of the OP if you want to help out.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
Hello.
Will u include ALL pokemons from each gen? or then ones u like ?:)

IRON NIDOW

I'm a talking dog
Years
I like the ideia of a recurring boss character! Continue your good work! As a sugestion maybe you should put some effort in new tileset, it's not too hard and there's many tutorials around. Keep the good work!

Last edited:

MagicApollo

Newbie Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
IN NEED OF SCRIPT PEOPLE (or at least a script mentor)

Updated plot idea!

Old Plot
Spoiler:

The new plot is as follows:

My hack is going to be titled Pokémon Rift. My ideas around the story of this hack are vague and not final. The basic plot is that you are seemingly just another universe in which Red/Leaf gets their starter from Oak, beats the gym leaders, thwarts Team Rocket, becomes the champion, and catches all the legendary Pokémon. However, things take a turn from the start. After getting your starter from Oak, the entire Kanto region is destroyed. You mysteriously survive and find your only way out of the collapsed lab – a rift. The rift leads you into a whole new region; a new universe, where you truly begin your journey. You are guided by the Red of the "original" FireRed universe where he accomplishes the above feats (beating the Pkmn League etc.). Oak told Red to seek you out because your universe is special. In your universe, Deoxys' DNA mutated in a way that enhanced their psychic powers beyond possibility. It has become the ultimate Pokémon, being able to control time and space, as well as everything within. Using their abilities, they began sending Deoxys to each planet to take over. Red tells you that your region was destroyed because a newly deployed Deoxys landed on it. Your goal is to seek out legendaries that I haven't determined yet. My idea is that you will seek the three guardian legendaries: Entei, Raikou, and Suicune. With their help, you will attempt to defeat the Deoxys in your universe before the damage is irreparable.

As you progress through the game, you may be randomly teleported or given a rift that leads you straight to the Deoxys in your universe. Each time, you will be teleported to memorable cities from any of the given regions: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. Your goal is to stop Deoxys from destroying those regions as it did to Kanto. What is teleporting you and giving you rifts? Is a Pokémon guiding you; aiding you in your struggle to save your universe?

Divine guidance or not, you'll have a tough time contending with this universe's version of Team Rocket: Team Missile. Team Missile is an obvious and intentional parallel to Team Rocket. It is also led by Giovanni, who for some reason seems TOO much like the original…? The grunts are still goofy young adults, unaware of the true plans of the leader. The grunts will draw their characteristics heavily from Sun and Moon's Team Skull, as I believe them to be the most entertaining of any team. They, however, are the least of your problems. The admins don't mess around, and the boss' power is "out of this world." Prepare for a team that doesn't fool around.

MagicApollo

Newbie Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Hello.
Will u include ALL pokemons from each gen? or then ones u like ?:)
I'm gonna include just the ones from Fire Red. As much as I love the idea of having a ton of the new Pokemon, its just so much more work to integrate new ones. I can also use "this is supposed to be an alternate Fire Red storyline" as an excuse to not include more ^^

Last edited:
Back