• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The weird tree didn't like the squirtbottle!

Years
In order to proceed to Ecruteak in G/S/C you will need to obtain a Squirtbottle from an NPC after defeating Goldenrod City's gym leader, allowing you entry past the weird tree blocking your path. Then suddenly.. a wild Sudowoodo appears, angered at the disturbance!

185.png

What did you think of this Pokemon? Did you use it on your team? Were you expecting it to be a wild Pokemon?

Years
I already had a magazine with all the pictures of the new Pokémon, before I got my Silver cartridge, so I knew that it was a Pokémon, even though I only knew its Japanese name up to this point. I pretty much compared it to Relaxo in gen 1, so naturally I had to catch it, because I expected it to be limited.
It really irritated me that it wasn't a grass type for a long time. I've also never really been a fan of rock types, so back then it faced the fate of being trapped in the PC forever. I just used it a little while back when I replayed the games in a nuzlocke run, but that was pretty much the only time it managed to get on my team.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 23, 2020
well i forgot whether i was expecting it to be a pokemon or not however i remember i didn't use sudowoodo for my team. Simply because it doesn't Evolve also I Thought it looks weird and not that cool. I tend to always prefer pokemon with bosslike evolutions. After leveling it to a high level. it's mah reward :D.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
i thought it was a pokemon from the start. i just didn't know what it was going to look like. once i used the squirt bottle, i was surprrised on the design.

i was also worried i wasn't going to see anothr one so i absolutely made sure i caught the pokemon. i love its design (especially its animated sprite from Crystal) one of my favorite pokemon.

Years
I wondered what that weird tree was at times, but when I got it I was not expecting it to be a Pokémon. And I would usually catch Sudowoodo, but I never used it on my team. Nothing really exciting.

Years
I think I already knew it was a pokemon, but that would have been because I had been trying to keep up with G/S news at the time. So by the time I actually got my hands on the games and started playing there really wasn't much that would have caught me by surprise.

I like the concept behind Sudowoodo, but even so - I'm pretty certain I boxed it. Sorry Sudowoodo, but there was no place for you on my team. :'(

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
AM i the only one who already thought it was a pokemon from the start? A moving tree made me the standards of what pokemon are were pretty clear, and a "tree pokemon" was definitely interesting.

the only thing that surprised me was that despite looking a tree pokemon, it was a rock type instead.

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
Years
I actually got stuck there for a while and stopped playing when I was younger. Then one of my friends told me how to proceed. I always just KO'd it.

Years
At the time I got my hands on game, I already knew, that it was Pokemon, thanks to Pokemon Magazine. I remenber that I caught him but put him in the PC. I really never used rock-type Pokemon...

Years
I don't think I knew it was a Pokémon (well, I probably did, but initially I wouldn't have known what specific Pokémon it was). Sudowoodo gave off the obvious vibe of "I am uncommon, don't miss this chance!", so I'm glad I caught it the first time. I make a point to catch it in every playthrough, but I rarely use it. It might stay in my party all the way to the League, but I honestly don't use it too much.

I agree with Shiny_Unown though, it was pretty odd (and remains odd to me) that Sudowoodo has no Grass typing whatsoever. I get it, "it's just supposed to look like a tree" but it's still odd to me.

And now I want to play Gold.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I thought it was a neat little addition and I like the way it parallel Snorlax in RGBY. I caught it myself because I regarded it as a rare Pokemon (some akin to the Red Gyarados and Shuckle!). Plus Sudowoodo is a pretty cool Pokemon, if rather useless.

Years
I remember the first time I encountered this strange Pokémon, while playing Pokémon Crystal.
It drew my attention since it was obviously unique. And so I definitely intended to catch it!
Since then it was one of the Pokémon I always kept with me in my party, but it never reached max level.

Then, the first time playing Silver, I screwed up and accidentally defeated Sudowoodo instead of weakening it down until I could catch it safely. I immediately regretted my actions so much that I reset the game and played it all over until that point, just so I could catch it again :D

To my disappointment, it never ever evolved. But that was okay, it was still a lovely companion!

Years
I boxed mine. Tried using it.. maybe once but it wasn't useful at all. I never liked super slow Pokemon like this one so I hardly bothered but it would've been awesome if it were just a tiny bit faster. But alas, trees aren't known for their speed. ;_; So off to the box you go to gather dust.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I thought at first that Sudowoodo was a Grass type until i was shocked that the first time playing a Gen 2 game in Gold, my Totodile's Water gun dealt heavy amounts of damage to it. Then where was also a time that my own party almost got wiped out by the thing because i didn't knew its typing back then.

And i've used Sudowoodo on my GSC in game teams a lot since i really liked it. I always remember the day that my party almost got wiped by it. I was that bad back then.

Years
I used it normally up until the Lighthouse in Olivine.. and then it became rather lacklustre. I am thinking of using it again when I get to play (Heart) Gold again. :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
i use Sudowoodo a lot. i did had to enhance its speed, but overal strong attacks and it did good damage. its design is great. I especially like it more in Crystal.

Zachella-chan

Winter is coming
Years
Honestly at the time I had no idea what the "weird tree" was. For the longest time I was stuck up to this point until I learnt about the squirt bottle. I don't recall using Sudowoodo awhole lot, but to this very day it's one of my favourite pokemon in terms of design.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I wasn't surprised that the "weird tree" was a Pokemon. It seemed like a blockage a la Snorlax, so I figured it would be something similar. I was disappointed to discover that it frankly didn't seem like the most useful Pokemon, however, and I quickly dumped poor Sudowoodo in the PC. It was a good concept, though, and the typing certainly threw me at first.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I expected it to be a wild Pokemon for some reason when I was a kid, I did catch it, but I never used it.

Back