• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Journey in Kanto

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Dec 3, 2018
Hi, I just started rom hacking and as one of my first hacks I want to remake pokemon fire red on soul silver, with changes and improvements, like gyarados and charizard being dragon types. My main problem so far is starting in pallet town, stopped from entering the grass by oak, and receiving bulbasaur, squirtle, or charmander from oak in the lab. Does anyone know what tools I need and how to do it? I would really appreciate it :) Thanks!
P.S. does anyone know how to change all pokemons IV range from 0-31 to 31-31?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
Hacking soul silver to that level is pretty much impossible right now. So little is known about the DS games and there are so few resources available. The most I've ever seen anyone change are some minor graphics and enemy/wild pokemon.

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Dec 3, 2018
Hacking soul silver to that level is pretty much impossible right now. So little is known about the DS games and there are so few resources available. The most I've ever seen anyone change are some minor graphics and enemy/wild pokemon.

Then maybe just starting in pallet town and getting the starters?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hi, I just started rom hacking and as one of my first hacks I want to remake pokemon fire red on soul silver, with changes and improvements, like gyarados and charizard being dragon types. My main problem so far is starting in pallet town, stopped from entering the grass by oak, and receiving bulbasaur, squirtle, or charmander from oak in the lab. Does anyone know what tools I need and how to do it? I would really appreciate it :) Thanks!
P.S. does anyone know how to change all pokemons IV range from 0-31 to 31-31?
You'll need a script editor, but unfortunately the gen IV script editors are kinda buggy. The only choices right now are PPRE 0.14 (or whichever version came before 2.0, which is useless) or SDSME 1.81. There are serious problems with both::
  • PPRE will sometimes corrupt wild Pokemon data when using the script editor
  • PPRE will also corrupt script data when using the wild Pokemon editor
  • SDSME 1.81 saves the edited scripts to the wrong place most of the time, and SDSME 2.0 doesn't save them at all (I'm working on fixing that but it'll be some time before I'm done)
  • Both tools have a few commands that don't read/write properly
I'd strongly suggest learning to script in a gen 3 game first, as they're quite similar, and there are guides around that will teach you the basics, which aren't available for the gen IV games.

As for editing Pokemon, your best option is probably this tool. Just be aware that after editing a Pokemon and saving changes, you need to click the "clear" button by the HM editor before moving to the next Pokemon.

The 100% safe and reliable alternative to all of the above is a hex editor, but that's not really beginner friendly.

Would require a lot of scripting changes just to do that and I don't think anyone knows how to edit scripts in gen 4 games
That's not the case at all, gen IV and V scripting has been doable for years. PPRE has been around since 2009, and I'm currently working on rewriting SDSME's old script editor so that it actually works. We even have this which documents every single scripting command in Platinum (as well as most of the ROM).

Back